Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-29-2017, 05:01 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
See my opinions below

Some like chocolate, some like vanilla.

Again, those highlighted in red are my OPINIONS and may not reflect everyone else's thoughts..... read my signature.

J.
Only red comment I disagree on is sometimes you don't have a choice, we all have choices to release or not. Let some nice critters walk just a little too far out...

I see some are very confident with mechanical my only point is the more involved to get the cutting surfaces exposed the higher the possibility of something going south...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-29-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Only red comment I disagree on is sometimes you don't have a choice, we all have choices to release or not. Let some nice critters walk just a little too far out...

I see some are very confident with mechanical my only point is the more involved to get the cutting surfaces exposed the higher the possibility of something going south...
I didn't type everything in my comment.... What I meant to say 58 is... Like Lefty previously stated. If there is already a hole in the animal and you aren't given a choice to put a second arrow in it any closer than 40 yards, sometimes you feel required (ethically, morally - call it what you will) to fire another arrow out past 40 yards to try and help finish off that animal.

While I don't condone releasing arrows at further distances, some situations DO call for it.....

And I guess you could place me in the group of people that are 100% confident in the BH's I carry. Most times though, it's whether or not the animal's attentiveness is creating a red light / green light situation for me to release the arrow.

I gave fixed broadheads a really good effort to see if they were right for me; just didn't work out. And occasionally, I still will grab a fixed from my buddy and fire it to see what it's like - still doesn't give me 100% confidence like my little Steelheads or Grim Reapers.

J.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:14 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
I didn't type everything in my comment.... What I meant to say 58 is... Like Lefty previously stated. If there is already a hole in the animal and you aren't given a choice to put a second arrow in it any closer than 40 yards, sometimes you feel required (ethically, morally - call it what you will) to fire another arrow out past 40 yards to try and help finish off that animal.

While I don't condone releasing arrows at further distances, some situations DO call for it.....

And I guess you could place me in the group of people that are 100% confident in the BH's I carry. Most times though, it's whether or not the animal's attentiveness is creating a red light / green light situation for me to release the arrow.

I gave fixed broadheads a really good effort to see if they were right for me; just didn't work out. And occasionally, I still will grab a fixed from my buddy and fire it to see what it's like - still doesn't give me 100% confidence like my little Steelheads or Grim Reapers.

J.
Thanks for the clarity, I get my fixed G5's to all group in about a 2"cluster at 30 yards, three shot groupings

Field points are a lot tighter if I do my part...but that is the key, doing your part.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...