Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-29-2015, 06:14 PM

Default Hunting arrow and broad head suggestions

Hey guys I'm new to the bow world and I'm hooked, but I have a few questions about arrows and broad heads, which would be the best hunting combo? I realize everyone has there own poison so im looking for any suggestions, I'm shooting a Bow Tech insanity cpxl set at 55lb and a draw of 30" , right now I'm shooting maxima blue streak 350carbons with field tips and small game heads but I want to hunt big game this fall so any suggestions on arrow set up would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:50 PM

Lots of broad heads to choose from. I'm partial to slick tricks but wanna try the Qad exodus this year
Old 05-29-2015, 07:05 PM

I shoot a rage 2 blade 100grain
Old 05-29-2015, 07:13 PM

First, make sure your bow is paper tuned.

Second, try a bunch. There is no way to know what will work, and what won't, on any particular bow. My dxt shoots muzzy 3 blade 100 gr best. Out of the viper nano, those heads are way high and left.

At 55 lbs, imo, you should stick with a fixed blade design. Suggestions: muzzy 3 blade (original design), slik tricks, G5 montec. With a lower poundage bow, a shallower blade angle will improve penetration. As will a trocar or cut-on-contact design. And make sure you spin test every arrow/broad head combo.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:57 PM

Just guessing that cpxl is probably pushing your arrows just under 300 fps. You should have enough jam to shoot expandables if you choose. A 30" draw and a 340fps bow help out your cause hugely and it's not that low of of an energy setup.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBFK View Post
Just guessing that cpxl is probably pushing your arrows just under 300 fps. You should have enough jam to shoot expandables if you choose. A 30" draw and a 340fps bow help out your cause hugely and it's not that low of of an energy setup.
I was thinking the same thing. The cpxl is a pretty fast bow(and an awesome one at that) as long as your using a heavy enough arrow you should be fine with mechanicals if that's your thing
Old 05-30-2015, 07:09 AM

I shoot 100 Gr. NAP killzones, lots of broadhead choices from NAP
Old 05-30-2015, 08:40 AM

I shoot gold tip xt hunters with 100gr g5 t3 mechanicals. I would reccomend finding one mechanical and one fixed blade broadhead that you like and shoot well.
The reason I have one of each is because of the wind conditions. Arrows are affected drastically by wind and mechanicals by large dont plane wind as much. The fixed blade is for hunting in thicker bush.
Just my .02 happy hunting!
Old 05-30-2015, 04:04 PM

X2 on the gold tips. Picked up a half dozen today from jim bows
Old 05-30-2015, 11:55 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys I'm starting to realize that arrow and head choice are just like fine tuning a bullet ,it might take a while but I'll find the one that works thanks again
Old 05-31-2015, 11:22 AM

Check out Grim Reaper Razortips and Whitetail Specials. Extremely accurate, and look into the practice heads as well.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:00 PM

I shoot a maxima red 350 with a 100 grain wasp jackhammer open on impact. I've never had a broad head fly so good. I shoot the same as my field points at all ranges. I have used QAD exodus as well for a fixed blade and they are a great broad head.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:00 PM

I found 125gr Montecs flew really well and dispatched an elk that only went about 20 yards after. I am looking for something sharper so I might change it up this summer. The Montecs are tough to get sharp and don't really come out of the box as sharp as I would like to see. I think it's the quality of metal that is the limitation
Old 05-31-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabighorn View Post
I shoot a rage 2 blade 100grain
How do you like them? Does the rage practice tip shoot the same as the actual broadhead?
Old 05-31-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
How do you like them? Does the rage practice tip shoot the same as the actual broadhead?
I have shot a few of the rage 2 blade broadheads and I find they shoot pretty good, I found the practice broadheads shot the same as the real ones
Old 05-31-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekiller View Post
I have shot a few of the rage 2 blade broadheads and I find they shoot pretty good, I found the practice broadheads shot the same as the real ones
I'll second this
Old 06-01-2015, 08:12 AM

Thats a wide option...I personally shoot the CX .350 Blue Streaks also...tipped with a 125 G5 Striker...fly as good as any Expanable will...100 GR may suit you better at your draw weight...

Many choices...you will get a 50/50 pro/con on Expandables/mechanicals

Expandables/mechanicals were once designed for the weekend warrior that didnt have time or felt they didnt to take the time to tune fix broadheads...not a slam just a fact!!

Expandables/mechanicals have come a long way and are many bowhunters choice ...even for those that shoot alot and take time tune the bows to perfection...

Expandables/mechanicals can give a false sence of security...they still have to be tuned...they may fly identical to field points...HOWever if the fieldtip arrows are fishtailing, [kicking left or right] porposing [kicking up or down] or a combination of both I call "Oscillation" ...then the Expandables/mechanicals could be your worst choice....as I am confident this is the result of most of the bad Expandables/mechanicals failures...if an arrow hits like / or \ ...the Expandables/mechanicals may not open or open properly...

Fixed heads are harder to tune for some...but IMHO well worth the extra work...

They will all work...the key is a tuned bow and arrow....sharp blades and well placed arrow...

Neil
Old 06-01-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Thats a wide option...I personally shoot the CX .350 Blue Streaks also...tipped with a 125 G5 Striker...fly as good as any Expanable will...100 GR may suit you better at your draw weight...

Expandables/mechanicals were once designed for the weekend warrior that didnt have time or felt they didnt to take the time to tune fix broadheads...not a slam just a fact!!

Expandables/mechanicals have come a long way and are many bowhunters choice ...even for those that shoot alot and take time tune the bows to perfection...

Expandables/mechanicals can give a false sence of security...they still have to be tuned...they may fly identical to field points...HOWever if the fieldtip arrows are fishtailing, [kicking left or right] porposing [kicking up or down] or a combination of both I call "Oscillation" ...then the Expandables/mechanicals could be your worst choice....as I am confident this is the result of most of the bad Expandables/mechanicals failures...if an arrow hits like / or \ ...the Expandables/mechanicals may not open or open properly...

They will all work...the key is a tuned bow and arrow....sharp blades and well placed arrow...

Neil
I am still fairly new to bow hunting as this is year 3. I have harvested 1 animal, using mechanicals. I have used the rage practice tip and it does shoot fairly accurate, I was just kind of wondering if anyone had issues with them. Still in the back of my mind mechanicals worry me. Dont open, or the o ring breaks whatever the case is, I always think about that.

What fixed blades do you prefer Neil? Is there any point target practicing using field tips if your fixed blades shoot a lot different? How do you go about sighting in the fixed blades?

Currently my bow is dialed in with the field tips. I was going to start shooting with the practice tip from the rage, but might go a different route.

Thanks for the help Neil.

Danny
Old 06-01-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post

Neil

This just makes me shake my head.

I'll keep slamming critters with expandables with my untuned bow on the weekend because that's what they were designed for. Not for better flight, wider cutting diameter ect.

Give expandables a try. I like grim reapers a lot. The only issue I have with them is short blood trails and my freezers always full.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:

I'll keep slamming critters with expandables with my untuned bow on the weekend because that's what they were designed for. Not for better flight, wider cutting diameter ect.

Give expandables a try. I like grim reapers a lot. The only issue I have with them is short blood trails and my freezers always full.
Turns out that's a good problem to have
Old 06-01-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:

I don't think you read the whole thing. ..I said expandable have come a long way and are used by many...even pros for the reasons you stated...
I also don't think you shoot an unturned bow...at least I hope you don't. ..
Things may be harder to read while shaking your head...lol

Neil
Old 06-01-2015, 10:26 PM

;D

Last edited by L.O.S.T.Arrow; 06-01-2015 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Double post
Old 06-02-2015, 12:18 AM

I shoot shuttle black ops and love them. Quiet and fly great.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:38 AM

Cool Arrow/Broadhead Combo

I have been using Carbon X weaves(300's). I shoot a 100gr. Wasp Jak Hammer on the end. Arrows punch perfect holes.Just recently, I have added some weight fwd inserts, which screw into the back of your insert...50 grs to be exact. Total arrow weight is 450. This has brought my FOC to 12%, makes my bow quieter, even less hand shock, and has boosted my KE. I can't wait to shoot a big critter with it...
Old 06-02-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
I am still fairly new to bow hunting as this is year 3. I have harvested 1 animal, using mechanicals. I have used the rage practice tip and it does shoot fairly accurate, I was just kind of wondering if anyone had issues with them. Still in the back of my mind mechanicals worry me. Dont open, or the o ring breaks whatever the case is, I always think about that.

What fixed blades do you prefer Neil? Is there any point target practicing using field tips if your fixed blades shoot a lot different? How do you go about sighting in the fixed blades?

Currently my bow is dialed in with the field tips. I was going to start shooting with the practice tip from the rage, but might go a different route.

Thanks for the help Neil.
Danny
Danny ...I favor G5 Strikers right now ...tuff, low profile and razor sharp replaceable blades...I have had pass thrus on Wild Boar, elk and moose...

Also practice using field points all the time as much as possible regardless...
Most fixed blade can be made to fly like field points with a little work...

Here it is in detail...
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=223992

If some dont have time to make broadheads hit exact POI...[Point Of Impact] as field points...and braodheads are flying awesome ...many will simply move the sights to the broadheads for hunting season...one can mark sight rails for Broadheads and field points for practice...

It may be hair pulling at first ...but easy once you get on to it and the reward of 100% setup...

Neil