Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-14-2015, 09:21 AM

Default Off Season Boredom / Up To A Challange?

In the 1970's I joined ABA [Alberta Bowhunters Association] Just because ABA was a huge asset to the bowhunting we now enjoy in Alberta and continue to this day to be our voice along with bowhunter education and are a huge part in the say of bowhunting regulations, ethics and programs.

When the ABA Game Awards program came out I was gung ho for the challange...many years later I accomplished all the requirements for all the Awards although I didnt register for all the big game awards...

But my point was the Small Game Award...it was a blast, much harder then as I believe there was 28 critters listed on that list then...I finished it off in 28 days with a fox...

But many great memories to this day of that challange
I think it is way two easy now...one should have to fill the entire rodent list and half the varmint [wild boar and Raven were not on the list then]...but the rest were and as I remember the list was bigger...

The skunk was a learning adventure...believe me they will spray when hit...lol even if the proverbial tail cant be raised

The only advantage we had then was bow fishing ...we could take any species...what a blast that was ...I ended up with two pike with one shot in a creek...suckers are still as much fun...a little research and you wont believe how many there are this time of year...

Theoretically one can complete the list this spring with a snow goose...
as most of Migratory and Game Bird applies to fall...

Setting up a goal and challange makes one a better bowhunter, the adventures, game meat, and just pure fun is awesome bonuses...

You have to become a member of ABA...but thats an asset to all bowhunters

http://www.bowhunters.ca/uploads/SYN...ar_21_2015.pdf
http://www.bowhunters.ca/ABA_Game_Awards_Program.html
http://www.bowhunters.ca/Membership.html

Neil
Old 05-14-2015, 10:47 AM

I started and completed the small game award last year, in my first full year as an ABA member. It was quite fun and I was actually a little sad when it was over . I was lucky that many of the animals kind of just appeared at the perfect time....the toughest one by far that I had to work the hardest for was the duck I took while antelope hunting.

Just want to add you must be a current member of the ABA at the time the quarry is taken and there is a form and a STRICT deadline to get all entries in....previous years entries do not count whether you are a member or not at the time.

The ABA awards program is unique and has been praised by Pope and Young, they were very impressed by it when they held their only official meeting outside the U.S. in Alberta one year.

LC
Old 05-14-2015, 11:00 AM

It's a great organization to bad we don't have more members considering the # of bowhunters in the province I need 1 more PY to complete my grandmasters portrait hopefully this yr with my antelope draw
Old 05-14-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Predator View Post
It's a great organization to bad we don't have more members considering the # of bowhunters in the province I need 1 more PY to complete my grandmasters portrait hopefully this yr with my antelope draw
Outstanding wish ya luck with the draw...although you may have to be pri 20...

Neil
Old 05-16-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Outstanding wish ya luck with the draw...although you may have to be pri 20...

Neil
Its crazy to think that you were able to get it all done in 28 days wow

Turkey,wolf, and free range boar alone would take a huge amount of time.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabighorn View Post
Its crazy to think that you were able to get it all done in 28 days wow

Turkey,wolf, and free range boar alone would take a huge amount of time.
Back in the day Turkey and Wild Boar were not on the list...coudn't hunt them or they didn't exist....

Wolf was on the list...as were other predators but we only needed the one...which was the fox I took...there was a big list but only needed 28 if I remember correctly...not everything on the list!

Neil
Old 05-16-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Back in the day Turkey and Wild Boar were not on the list...coudn't hunt them or they didn't exist....

Wolf was on the list...as were other predators but we only needed the one...which was the fox I took...there was a big list but only needed 28 if I remember correctly...not everything on the list!

Neil
Ohh i got ya....i thought you guys somehow got everything on that list lol i was trying to figure out how
Old 05-16-2015, 03:48 PM

Default No time limit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I started and completed the small game award last year, in my first full year as an ABA member. It was quite fun and I was actually a little sad when it was over . I was lucky that many of the animals kind of just appeared at the perfect time....the toughest one by far that I had to work the hardest for was the duck I took while antelope hunting.

Just want to add you must be a current member of the ABA at the time the quarry is taken and there is a form and a STRICT deadline to get all entries in....previous years entries do not count whether you are a member or not at the time.

The ABA awards program is unique and has been praised by Pope and Young, they were very impressed by it when they held their only official meeting outside the U.S. in Alberta one year.

LC

Its says on it in the first line theres no time limit.
Old 05-16-2015, 03:50 PM

Got 3 new freind bowhunters sighned up after bear season going to try to do the small game again with them
Old 05-16-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabighorn View Post

Its says on it in the first line theres no time limit.
I think they mean no time limit to earn/complete the challenge, meaning you could take 1 year or 20 to finish...but as far as I know the taken animals have to be entered in the same year they are taken, they cannot be entered retroactively.

Read the last sentence

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 05-16-2015 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I think they mean no time limit to earn/complete the challenge, meaning you could take 1 year or 20 to finish...but as far as I know the taken animals have to be entered in the same year they are taken, they cannot be entered retroactively.

Read the last sentence

LC
correct!!

Neil
Old 05-16-2015, 04:57 PM

Default 1983 ABA record book

I really enjoyed the small game challenge also. I looked back into some of the old record books and found this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (38.0 KB, 50 views)
Old 05-16-2015, 06:30 PM

Smile

Quote:

Read the last sentence

LC
Ya i understand that. Thought you ment it had to be done in one year with the way you worded it. Makes it more attainable, neat.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:08 PM

Yeah it is a great organization and a lot of fun trying to obtain those goals, it took me two years and only took my wife roughly 6 months, we both managed a coyote spot and stalk!!
Old 05-18-2015, 09:37 PM

This is a good organization and the awards sytem can be a challenge for sure . The Southern Alberta Bowhunters Association , SABA, has taken this same awards system a couple notches higher with more animals , birds and fish being required to fulfill all categories . If I was more computer litterate I would post it for you , check it out on their website .
Old 05-20-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBB View Post
I really enjoyed the small game challenge also. I looked back into some of the old record books and found this.
Neat!!!...back in the day before computors ABA used to send out a small magizine like booklet with everything in it...will have to dig a couple up ...still have them
Any Idea on what year that was LBB?

Neil
Old 05-20-2015, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Neat!!!...back in the day before computors ABA used to send out a small magizine like booklet with everything in it...will have to dig a couple up ...still have them
Any Idea on what year that was LBB?

Neil
It was 1983 Neil, I have a number of the aba record books from the good old days. When I could see a sight pin, hold a bow steady, and not squeak and groan every time I pull my bow. Lol. Never going to quit though.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
It was 1983 Neil, I have a number of the aba record books from the good old days. When I could see a sight pin, hold a bow steady, and not squeak and groan every time I pull my bow. Lol. Never going to quit though.
lol...hear you and feel the same way...

Neil
Old 05-25-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Found This when ABA was Alberta Bowhunters and Archers

Neil
Old 05-25-2015, 10:11 AM

I was kinda surprised signed up for the ABA and thought they would send a welcome package out a decal or something guess not. Either way I am glad I joined. Just most organizations I have joined normally send out something.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportHuntingHelp View Post
I was kinda surprised signed up for the ABA and thought they would send a welcome package out a decal or something guess not. Either way I am glad I joined. Just most organizations I have joined normally send out something.
it is my understanding you will...checking on this will get back with answer...

Neil
Old 05-25-2015, 01:53 PM

Was not sure but even if they don't I will buy a decal or something to show my support.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Found This when ABA was Alberta Bowhunters and Archers

Neil
I liked that crest Neil, wish I still had mine. Thanks for posting
Old 05-28-2015, 09:30 AM

I really enjoyed doing the ABA game awards. I am also a member of the Southern Alberta Bowhunters and we also have an awards system. Its a little more elaborate and can be more challenging with the lifetime awards being a little more difficult to accomplish. Just keeps that side of the hunt going longer. Its wide open to anyone in the province, or anywhere else for that matter if you are interested in joining the club. I believe the ABA only counts animals harvested in Alberta while SABA will accept P&Y eligible animals from anywhere in North America. I have attached a copy of the systems and more details are available on the website.

http://www.southernalbertabowhunters...er_systems.pdf