Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-08-2013, 10:02 AM

Default Fletching styles....best ones?

What type of fletching does everybody use on compound bow and arrow setup? I have bee using the old school soft rubber ones that are about 4" long. Are the new ones that are shorter and stiffer better? If so why? The new ones seem to be what all the "pros" are using. I just wonder if the arrow will fly the same and maybe the fletching will hold up to abuse better?
Old 09-08-2013, 10:18 AM

2" blazers or 2.1 fusions by Norway industries both awesome vanes
Old 09-08-2013, 10:28 AM

I use 2 inch blazers, with a right helical. More speed than the 4 inch (lighter) and my groups got smaller right away!
Old 09-08-2013, 04:26 PM

Blazers are super durable!!
Old 09-08-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonerkiller View Post
What type of fletching does everybody use on compound bow and arrow setup? I have bee using the old school soft rubber ones that are about 4" long. Are the new ones that are shorter and stiffer better? If so why? The new ones seem to be what all the "pros" are using. I just wonder if the arrow will fly the same and maybe the fletching will hold up to abuse better?
Dunno, I'm using 4" duravanes, the blazers are taller and can create contact issues. Good flight over speed, but if you can get the shorties to work, there's nothing wrong with that.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:22 PM

Starrflight F.O.B. Check them out on you tube. I use them and they work great. Easy to install. No glue no mess.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:46 PM

The newer vanes are able to be shorter with a generally lower profile because they are engineered to be "stiffer", and are constructed from "stiffer" materials. Theoretically they can steer or control the arrow more efficiently. They ate also extremely durable. I use mini blazers, 4 of them, they seem to have great control on the arrow and keep a lower profile, therefore getting around any clearance issues that may be encountered with 2" vanes. The downside to blazers of any length is that they are relatively noisy. I tried fobs 8 or so years ago, and while they do work well to stabilize broadheads, they are more useful in open country applications where incidental contact with things like a blade of grass (literally) will not occur. Trust me, they are not forgiving, they cost me one bull elk and that was enough!

Just what I have found.

Norm