Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-05-2013, 12:53 AM

Default Bad luck / inexperience the last few days

I used to shoot a recurve when I was younger but developed target panic so bad I couldn't come anywhere near full draw even with a 20 lbs bow. Archery quit being fun for me anymore and I stopped shooting. After a couple of years I thought I would get back into it but use a compound and a release to combat the target panic. I had an old browning that I bought for $150 and some old aluminum arrows that my dad had in the basement and I ended up being able to shoot pretty darn good with it. I never had any problems with the old bow and never had to tinker with it. This year I decided it was time to upgrade and bought a pse stinger. I shot 50-100 arrows every weekend with no problems until Monday. Now here is where the bad luck and inexperience on my part started. On Monday I shot all my arrows and picked the best 4 to put broad heads on. I put the broad heads on and went to see how they flew. On the second shot the rubber for the peep broke right up close to the peep. No big deal I thought I'll just slide it back on and be good to go. Turns out there was no way that rubber was gonna stay attached. I went into cabelas and got them to put a new one in for me. I shot the bow a few times and everything was good. So this morning I went to draw my bow like I do every morning but didn't have my release. I drew it with my fingers and when I got to full draw the peep was twisted way off. I let the bow down and checked to see if everything seemed lined up properly and the d-loop seemed off to the side. I straightened everything out and went to draw again but held the bow slightly away from me to see how it looked from the side. That was a big mistake. I felt the string start to roll in my fingers a bit then it was gone. I figured I just dry fired my bow and was holding a $300 piece of garbage. I didn't like the service I received at cabelas so I decided to call northpro sports here in saskatoon and see if they would take a look at it. He was asking me questions about what happened and when I told him about the string rolling in my fingers he said I might be in luck. He said what might have happened was the string might have twisted off the cam and I probably didn't do too much damage to the bow. As soon as I was done work I brought the bow in. After looking at it he gave me the best news I heard all day. Sure enough the string seemed to have just twisted off and all that happened was a nick in the serving. He had it re served and strung back up in no time and sent me on my way. To say I felt stupid today is an understatement. Thanks to Micheal at northpro for gettin me fixed up and not callin me out when I tried saying it was a "friend" who did that to my bow haha.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:32 AM

Default Luck

Nice to hear it worked out for you. I always tell folks to buy their bows at a pro shop instead of a regular store, the service is so much better with dealers who make their whole living with archery.