Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-20-2013, 10:11 PM

Default Shooting out of a ground blind!!!

Well got the 3d target up an been practicing out of the blind!wow does the bow make a crack sound when ya shoot???sure hope he don't jump the string at that sound!!any suggestions from anyone else that shot out of one???experiences?!?!
Old 08-20-2013, 10:14 PM

Wear black when sitting in the blind and try to angle it
Out of the sun.....they will see you otherwise.

Part of the reason I bought a black bow.

LC
Old 08-20-2013, 10:55 PM

A crack sound ?? I have several blinds that I use regularily and haven't had that issue, mind you my bow is quiet It could be the confined space of blind applifies a noisy bow or perhaps your bow is touching roof of blind when you shoot, check that out
Old 08-20-2013, 11:26 PM

Default Noise

Pretty sure my bow isn't hitting the roof when I shoot..but will double check that tomorrow night.ill have the wife watch while I shoot.looked like Alota room above my Mathews parallel limb..just seemed loud.i I even opened a few more windows an left the mesh on.mabey ill try more windows.only my front 3 windows are visible to the deer.well covered too..only got small holes to shoot through.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:13 PM

should have bought a Hoyt JK!!!!!!!!
Old 08-22-2013, 01:38 PM
Banned

Default shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by astepanuk View Post
should have bought a Hoyt JK!!!!!!!!
^^^ Haha. Similar to when you discharge a .22 from in a truck at a gopher, compared to shooting it while standing outside, the noise will be amplified so to speak. At least I have been told it can be louder when shooting gophers that way Cheers
Old 08-28-2013, 03:18 PM

String whiskers will quite bow down...

Two most common mistakes with shooting out of tent ground blinds...
hitting the roof like mentioned..
And hitting the bottom of the windows ..remember your rest is way below your sight....

Neil
Old 08-29-2013, 02:59 AM

Did that opening night, sitting in a friends ground blind he had already set up. Had a nice 5x5 come in and play in the water, rolling on his back and hooking his antlers into it and everything. He turned and walked broadside at 20yds in front of the blind, I got to about 3" from full draw and I ran out of room, hit the top of the blind and he looked at me for a sec and I think he said "Amateur, or something like that"!
Lesson learned I guess. Was still awesome and I managed to get some good video. Can't wait till tomorrow!
Old 08-29-2013, 01:13 PM

Had a ground blind just over waist high in a horse shoe out of dead fall..had a bull elk within 10 yards ...came up with the bow and placed the pin behind the shoulder....NAILED the top branch with a WHACK every elk within miles heard it.......

lol
Neil
Old 08-29-2013, 01:18 PM

Hearing these stories is kind of bitter sweet. On one hand you're glad you're not alone in your hunting blunders, mishaps & bad luck OTOH you sure can empathize with others who have shared your fate.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 08-30-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
Hearing these stories is kind of bitter sweet. On one hand you're glad you're not alone in your hunting blunders, mishaps & bad luck OTOH you sure can empathize with others who have shared your fate.
stuff happens to everyone...if it doesnt they havent been bow hunting long, or the fib a little ...lol

Neil
Old 09-07-2013, 03:38 PM

Default Great ground level view

but careful with noise caused by brushing against the roof or walls! I blew an easy bow shot by letting my broad head scratch the wall.... Buck bolted like a rocket