Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-23-2008, 09:59 AM

Default Archery Caribou

Well I booked my trip to the NWT for archery caribou for this fall. Does anyone have any experience hunting caribou with the bow? Range to expect, gear, etc...
I can't wait!!
Old 02-23-2008, 10:20 AM

I've hunted Caribou in BC for a few years... I've always wanted to take one with a bow. I'm not sure how they act in the early season, but in the rut (when I was hunting them) they seem to be very approachable. The seem to always be skylined, or at least close to the tops of the mountains, so expect lots of time on foot getting to them. Once close, it seemed that as long as we stayed downwind they were not spooked, even though we were right out in the open. I took some video of a herd at about 100 yards, maybe a dozen each of cows and bulls. The big herd bull (not enough points up top to take him) started to get nervous by our presence, and began to trot around 'herding' up his cows. The cows would want to come closer to us out of curiosity, but the big bull kept cutting them off on the slope and forcing them away. Very interesting to watch. As far as range to expect, they aren't likely to let you walk right up to them; I'm sure our 100 yards was as about as close as they were comfortable with; so a typical stalk will be required. Definitely not spooky animals though. Some of the big herds like the ones you may run into in NWT may be a different ball game - I'd like to experience that some day. Good luck with your hunt!
Old 02-23-2008, 04:11 PM

Who did you book with?
Old 03-06-2008, 06:00 PM

When Are you going? I just recently booked my trip as well. I'm going with Expl/Sylva in Northern Quebec. Sept 2009. So Pumped!!!
Old 03-08-2008, 09:57 AM

Default August

I am going with Peterson Point Lake Lodge, NWT during the 20-26 of August 2008.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:00 AM

Default caribou

I've shot three with bow in northern Manitoba, and 3 with gun. Spot and stalk and ambush for bow Watch for where they cross low spots, rivers, between lakes or ponds and set up If migration on there is usually caribou coming and going I did get one big one with a casual bump push Saw them bedded set up where we thought they would go and had other person make a mile cirle and expose himself on far side and casually walk toward them they got up and passed right by me while I was behind a small bush Practice shooting from knees as bush is usually under 4 ft high 20 to 60 yds shots

Gord
Old 03-08-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post
I am going with Peterson Point Lake Lodge, NWT during the 20-26 of August 2008.
What did you end up paying for your hunt?
Old 03-08-2008, 02:20 PM

Hey Shed. I also went on a caribou hunt a couple of years ago. Went with McKay Lake Lodge at their warburton bay camp. This camp is their bowhunting camp. Sujestions I would make would be:
I went the same time frame as you. The caribou will be in velvet. If you want hard horn soak them in the lake for a day or two and the velvet will strip off. Your taxidermist can then later stain them a brown color as they will be snow white under the velvet. If you want them in velvet, in order to save it the velvet has to be injected with formaldehyde. Make sure your taxidermist in camp injects lots - in the main vein at the base of the antler as well as multiple points along each tine. If you don't in about 5 days you will have maggots crawling out.
Your hunting will be mostly spot and stalk but spotting from boats. Hence a windproof PFD such as the mustang type jackets are in order. Even though it is august, temperatures will still be cool and the spray off of the boat can be brutally cold.
Don't try to out run the caribou to get in front of them. You won't. The best approach that we found was to spot from a distance, and then position yourself in front of the herd. There is actually lots of cover in the way of big rocks and small willow bushes. These will also funnel them.
Be prepared to spend a night away from camp. Bad weather can come up quickly, and although we didn't have to spend a night out, other friends did.
Be prepared for 50 yards shots but hope for shorter. Also know how to shoot in the wind. It is generally a constant.
The Resources Wildlife Economic Development office (our fish and wildlife) office in yellowknife has radio collared caribou cows that they check on by satellite daily. A phone call to the office before you go up will give you an idea of how far the herds are from your camp.
Most of all ENJOY. It is an experience of a lifetime. Hope I wasn't too long winded. If you have any other questions, throw me a PM. Best regards, and bring back lots of pictures to share with us!