Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-15-2017, 11:30 AM

Default Cross eye dominant...and more

Hey Guys (and Gals),

I know there are lots of threads and posts our there on cross eye domination, and which way to shoot etc., but I have an added twist and was just looking for some comments and possibly advice...

So, I am cross eye dominant (right handed and left eye dominant) and was told by the guys at JimBows to go with the eye, and shoot left handed. So, that is what I was planning on doing...but now I have realized that the vision in my left eye (on its own) is not nearly as good as my right eye. I have been tested twice in the last few months (and told by both doctors that I do not need glasses) and with this new bit of info I am confused as to which way I should shoot.

I am worried that at further shots my left eye will not focus as cleanly as my right eye would...should I just go back to shooting right? (I shoot right with my rifle).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...thanks
Old 05-15-2017, 12:24 PM

Options,

Close the left eye
Patch the left eye
Put a blinder on your sight

Close the left eye, draw and acquire the sight picture, then open the left eye prior to the shot. If you want to shoot with both eyes open.

Or, follow your dominant eye and shoot left handed.

LC
Old 05-15-2017, 12:33 PM

yeah thanks Lefty,

kind of what I was figuring, I am leaning towards shooting right now, and just slightly closing the left eye...sight will be much more clear with my right...and I guess the used bow market is a little better for right handed bows if I decide to switch it up...cheers.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:59 PM

This stuff about going with your dominant eye is such a crock of hooey. I'm left eye dominant and shoot right handed, I slightly close my left eye and make sure I'm seeing out of my right eye and shoot instinctively. When you have sights, especially with a peep sight your eyes are naturally focused using the sight in front of your eye.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:19 AM

I shot right handed right eye with a rifle and left handed left eye with bow.... always shot right handed with a gun and felt comfortable but when getting into bow hunting I was tested for eye dominant at the bow shop and turned out to be my left. Picked up a left handed bow and it felt way more natural than a right handed bow. So I tried a left handed gun and no way can I shot that haha I'm all messed up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugenuge View Post
I shot right handed right eye with a rifle and left handed left eye with bow.... always shot right handed with a gun and felt comfortable but when getting into bow hunting I was tested for eye dominant at the bow shop and turned out to be my left. Picked up a left handed bow and it felt way more natural than a right handed bow. So I tried a left handed gun and no way can I shot that haha I'm all messed up

Funny to hear cause I'm the same way. Due to a shoulder issue I shoot my bow right handed but shoot my rifle left handed, however I buy my rifles right handed as their easier to trade and sell. I'm all sorts of messed up but works haha. (sorry for the rifle talk I know this is the archery page).

Old 05-16-2017, 11:04 AM

At least I know that I'm in good company!
Old 05-16-2017, 02:16 PM

I'm not an archer so please forgive me if this is a completely stupid question.

I recall a guy who used to be on Wild TV shooting a rifle right handed but using his dominant left eye. He would lean way over the stock. Looked odd but he could shoot pretty well.

Can you shoot a bow aiming with your opposite side eye? Would it even be possible?
Old 05-16-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I'm not an archer so please forgive me if this is a completely stupid question.

I recall a guy who used to be on Wild TV shooting a rifle right handed but using his dominant left eye. He would lean way over the stock. Looked odd but he could shoot pretty well.

Can you shoot a bow aiming with your opposite side eye? Would it even be possible?
Yes it is possible, shot with a guy last year who does that. You loose a fair bit on your draw length though.

LC
Old 05-16-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugenuge View Post

I guess I am in good company. Took me a bit of practice to draw properly and build some muscle memory with my left being right handed but now I could not imagine shooting my bow any other way. Cannot shoot a lefty gun for the life of me lol.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:17 AM

I am the same, right handed and left eye dominant. Heard the same when I started archery, about going with a left hand bow. I tried it, but right handed felt way more comfortable.

So I would suggest if a right handed bow feels more comfortable, just practice practice practice with a right handed bow!

Old 05-18-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Yes it is possible, shot with a guy last year who does that. You loose a fair bit on your draw length though.

LC
Ah, that would make sense. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:20 AM
Banned

I will try
Old 06-02-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
This stuff about going with your dominant eye is such a crock of hooey. I'm left eye dominant and shoot right handed, I slightly close my left eye and make sure I'm seeing out of my right eye and shoot instinctively. When you have sights, especially with a peep sight your eyes are naturally focused using the sight in front of your eye.
I agree. I've been shooting for years. Left eye dominant, right handed with no problems out to 60 yards. I don't shoot anything farther than that unless its just a bail of hay anyways. Most of my hunting is done at less than 40 yards. That's what I'm comfortable with. So I would just go with shooting right handed if that's comfortable for you. You just need to train yourself and work with your sights.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:18 PM

I shoot rifles right, and bow left. Never had an issue. I would go with which bow is more comfortable and natural and close the wrong eye.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:39 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the input guys...now for the test shooting
Old 06-12-2017, 09:07 PM

The ability to shoot with both eyes open is an advantage. Not a major one but one none the less. I am also left eye dominant and right arm dominant but I followed my dominant eye all my life and shoot lefty for bow and rifle.

I believe it is easier to train the muscles of your arms/back to shoot properly left handed than to always be fighting your dominant eye.

Good luck.