Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-20-2017, 08:08 PM

Default Taking a step toward traditional archery

Someday I would like to use traditional gear to kill my game. I have multiple archery opportunities at elk every year at close range and we have very little trophy quality bulls in my area. It wouldn't be a stretch to use either a long bow or a recurve. Does anybody have any recommendations for draw weight, style etc. to get started? I don't believe that I need to spend all the money to get the best one but I certainly wouldn't want one that would need to be replaced if I ever got a little bit more serious. I would even consider making my own bow just for the story.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:44 AM

"Multiple archery opportunities at elk"...showoff....id be happy with one in a decade

Best thing as always is to shoot a bunch of bows and see what feels good. Perhaps meet up with a trad club if there is one in your area. Some people say it's a huge jump, some say it's relatively simple to learn.

Making your own IS a huge jump. I've researched this, and while the topic is fascinating it would be very time consuming, and it's likely you need a solid understanding of how that particular style of bow should shoot to make a good one.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
"Multiple archery opportunities at elk"...showoff....id be happy with one in a decade

Best thing as always is to shoot a bunch of bows and see what feels good. Perhaps meet up with a trad club if there is one in your area. Some people say it's a huge jump, some say it's relatively simple to learn.

Making your own IS a huge jump. I've researched this, and while the topic is fascinating it would be very time consuming, and it's likely you need a solid understanding of how that particular style of bow should shoot to make a good one.
Ha ha, not meant to show off but I have been fortunate to locate a honey hole with lots of bulls. Just no large ones. Most of the time it's quite easy to get in on several bulls under 30 yards and the idea of a traditional Hunt sounds quite appealing.
Are there any suggestions on what draw weight would be best? I am certainly strong enough however don't need to prove anything with draw weight and I think the more fun to shoot the more often I will. What is sufficient? And I can use until I am older? If the draw weight is too light does that severely impact longer shots of 40 yards?
Old 05-22-2017, 03:11 PM

40 yards is a long poke with trad gear and something I would not be comfortable with. Actually 40 is closer to my compound bow max. Not saying it can't be done and I am sure there are trad shooters out there with that skill and confidence, but I don't think it is the norm. I shoot a 50 lbs at 28" (I am 29") Hoyt Dorado and it pulls and holds nice for me. I started with 60 lbs and that was too much and 40 lbs felt like I might collapse the bow. Try as many as you can and I think Trophy Book Archery still has a trad night/club that you could go to.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:55 AM

Default solo hunter Trad episode

There is an awesome episode of solo hunter where they hunt mountain goats with trad.. check it out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFpBclsQTsU
Old 05-28-2017, 05:29 PM

Try lots of bows, each one feel different, and it will take time to find one that feels right. I hunt with a bow that pulls 54lbs at my 30" draw. with a fixed blade broadhead I have had full pass through on all my deer kills. Have not had the opportunity to test on elk as i have yet to find my own elk "honey hole". 50lbs and up will take most if not all big game in north America. matching you arrows and broadheads to your bow is just as important if not more important than bow weight.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:55 PM

I have not shot an elk with my recurve yet but 45Lb should do it if you have a well tune arrow and a shaving sharp broadhead. Using a heavy arrow that is very well tune is key. My suggestion to you would be to pick up a used low poundage bow (maybe 35lb) to keep price down and work on perfecting your form. No point to overbow yourself, you will need to shoot a lot of arrows if you want to be really good at it.Then when you figure out what style you like and what poundage you can comfortably handle buy yourself a good bow that suit your need. There is no wrong answer from the most primitive self bow and wood arrows to a high tech ILF riser with carbon arrows, just pick the one that suit your taste and style the most.

40 yard is a long poke for a trad bow, The idea of going to trad is generally to get up close and personal. The cast of an arrow become pretty big past 30yard with a heavy hunting arrow.

There is a lot of good info on trad bow shooting and some not so good one available online and you tube. Here's a few recommendations depending on your shooting style

Instinctive shooting, look up Jeff Kavanagh (Canadian) and Clay Hayes you tube Chanal.

Aiming Methods, Search "The Push a traditional archery Film and the Push Podcast.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:58 PM

Pick up my second long bow first is a jack kemf 64 at 28 and now a bear ausable 60 at 28... both are way different ...

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 06-01-2017, 09:45 AM

Default Traditional

I have really been through the gambit on bows and equipment, I am 59 yrs young and started shooting a fiberglass longbow when I was seven. There is a lot of information on the internet and from numerous people but my recommendation, find a bow you like the look of in the poundage you need for hunting and start shooting. Arrow builds or buys need to be tuned to the bow for sure, as you learn your bow try many different arrows to see what fits best, I build my own as I like a larger spine for my hunting.
Most of all shoot, shoot, shoot, at all distances and at all sizes of target and in all weather conditions. The more you shoot the better you get, period.
Enjoy your traditional bow and remember if it breaks in the bush can you fix it?
On a foot note the last high tech bow I had was an Oneida Eagle, so it has been a long time with cams and pullies out of the equation.