Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-28-2015, 12:20 PM

Default Where would you apply 12 points for moose

Would like to do a archery hunt for a 45" or bigger moose. I have 12 priority points. New zones opened 148,124,116,118,119 102, some good bulls being taken in the mountian zones. If you had 12 points where would you apply. Any info would be welcome.
Thanks
Old 05-28-2015, 12:56 PM

Why such a small one...going to eat it??? lol

Personally if you would like a big one ...right where your buddy Sheldon lives...*Whistle*

Neil
Old 05-28-2015, 12:58 PM

If I new I wouldn't be sitting at P13! I was waiting for camp wainwright but now I don't know....
Old 05-28-2015, 01:02 PM

I've heard of some big bulls in the SE corner of the province. With no moose season before there may be some good opportunities there.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 05-28-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullgetter View Post
If I new I wouldn't be sitting at P13! I was waiting for camp wainwright but now I don't know....
Camp Wainwright does have big bulls, however not an easy task...having said that... the biggest bull moose was taken there with a bow!!!

Neil
Old 05-28-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
I've heard of some big bulls in the SE corner of the province. With no moose season before there may be some good opportunities there.

There has been a moose season in the SE for as long as there have been moose. Mostly used by Saskatchewan residents.

While I know that this is not an area for a great big moose, it is still a fun place to hunt with great landowners. I just might finally burn a pile of moose points just to hunt these hills and draws again, more for the landscape and ranch house dinners than for antler size....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 05-28-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Camp Wainwright does have big bulls, however not an easy task...having said that... the biggest bull moose was taken there with a bow!!!

Neil
I think the season run 3 days only now like the deer seasons...thats a lot of priority to burn for 3 days!

LC
Old 05-28-2015, 07:27 PM

Some big southern bulls killed in the last few years.. guess it all depends on what kind of hunt your after.. but i would put in the same zone i killed my 60"

Altho there are big bulls in everyzone , just gotta find them ..
Old 05-28-2015, 07:36 PM

Default Moose

Personally I'd never let my points get that high. I'd have hunted moose two or three times already. But if I "did" have that many I'd be heading into the mountains for a quality hunt, a fun hunt not so much for a big rack as for a great adventure.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:44 PM

Thanks for all the input, this is like a kid in a candy store with 25cents, you only get one chance and you hope to make the right choice.
Thanks again
Old 05-28-2015, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Personally I'd never let my points get that high. I'd have hunted moose two or three times already. But if I "did" have that many I'd be heading into the mountains for a quality hunt, a fun hunt not so much for a big rack as for a great adventure.
In 2000 I drew a tag in the mountains, a 2 wheel cart with 100# gear and 3 days to drag it in. Never made to the spot I wanted. But thought I was in a good spot, so stopped and hunted. Seen the same bull twice, sec time called him in and killed him at 40 yards, on the 10th day. Had a sat phone called a friend that I prearranged pack horses with, he showed up the next day and we packed him out. It turned out to be my first p+y moose. I enjoyed that solo hunt and adventure. But want to look at all options before I decide, this time. It's nice to explore different parts of Alberta.
Thanks
Old 05-28-2015, 11:11 PM

I am in damn near same boat as you but with a 10. I can't take it no longer I think. I need to shoot a moose. I want one big one then back to the scrubs but I can't put a finger on which zone. I gotta a baby on the way in 2 weeks so nervous about that as well.
But I love moose hunting to much.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:47 AM

My personal preference would be somewhere that the timber isn't too thick and the terrain isn't overly difficult. I'd want to know I'm going to find the moose. It may depend on whether I can get drawn for my rifle in the rut though. Might be best to draw where you'd be least disappointed if you get skunked so that you take the pressure off needing success. Enjoy the hunt. Definitely keep us posted with pictures this fall
Old 05-29-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I think the season run 3 days only now like the deer seasons...thats a lot of priority to burn for 3 days!

LC
Yes it is...used to be around 10 days with primitive means...also pends on what is going on in the base for what areas are open...

Neil
Old 05-29-2015, 08:41 AM

The biggest moose I have seen in Alberta has been in Alberta Parkland farming communitys...I have been lucky enough to take 3 bulls 50 Plus inches in the parklands with my bow...during the rut one can see more moose than deer...which is amazing!!!

Also a factor that is LLB... we are not getting any younger..parkland bulls are usually easy to retrive...I have spent days in the mountains retrieving moose with every thing from hauling it all out from three miles back in the swamp.. on my back to dragging it out on a chevy truck hood and my dog team...

Here is two I was lucky enough to take with the bow within a dozen miles of my home...the last in 2012 my last moose draw...

Neil
Old 05-29-2015, 09:27 AM

Dandy bulls neil!!!
Old 05-29-2015, 11:13 AM

Wow. Great moose Neil, I agree with you on the age thing. Still haven't decided yet, but those pictures tempt me.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBB View Post
Wow. Great moose Neil, I agree with you on the age thing. Still haven't decided yet, but those pictures tempt me.
Both of these are pushing 55" and they were the small ones...lol

Still were awesome tablefare...

Neil