Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-10-2013, 01:03 PM

Default need some help to tighten up my groups

im not having much problems at 25 yards I know that's a strange number but my bow shoots flat to 25 so I sighted in at 25 35 and 45 that and I got lucky with a couple natural land marks so that's that. Any how at 35 yards im having trouble pulling any thing closer then 8 inches for 3 so I was wondering if a stabiliser might help and if so what kind short and heavy or longer and lighter I don't hunt any more and the archery is my way to relax so any help PLEASE
Old 09-10-2013, 02:25 PM

There are guys on here that now more like LOST arrow so hopefully he will chime in. But I don't think the stabilizer would make that much of a difference at 35 if your shooting good at 25.
Lets see whats boys with more knowledge say.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:30 PM

thanks for the advice I just cant seem to get the group any tighter I try to shoot at least an hour a day and love the relaxed feeling of peace it gives me just would love to tighten it up a little more
Old 09-10-2013, 02:33 PM

Sounds like you need to take your bow to a good tech and have it set up better! Is this field points? Fixed blades or expandibals? Do your groups get better or worse at 45? It sounds like your rest is not inline with the path of your arrow!
Old 09-10-2013, 03:18 PM

only use field tips and at 45 im spread to about 10 inches so its not the huge jump im getting at 35 so I don't understand it
Old 09-10-2013, 03:37 PM

a stabilizer will help with longer yardage shots for sure ..are your groups always around the target or off to one side ?? are you shooting in a controlled envioronment or out doors ..
Old 09-10-2013, 03:41 PM

might want to post your whole set up. Bow, draw weight and length, arrow spine, length of arrow, type of rest. All useful information.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:41 PM

tend to drift around the seems more like im having trouble holding a steady target a little heavier to the left side but not much could it be target panic?
Old 09-10-2013, 03:43 PM

Shoot your arrows closer together... duh!,....

Sorry... Joking....

this is where some instruction can help. A properly setup stabiliser can help tighten groups for sure, but in your case there is a whole different issue.

I would advise seeing an archery instructor...
Old 09-10-2013, 03:55 PM

First place to start would be your draw length and anchor, good chance its too long most people are.. Then maybe too much draw weight. And finally go to your bow set-up. All are required for accuracy, but I'd put them in that order.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:00 PM

Default damn why didnt i think of that

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
Shoot your arrows closer together... duh!,....

Sorry... Joking....

this is where some instruction can help. A properly setup stabiliser can help tighten groups for sure, but in your case there is a whole different issue.

I would advise seeing an archery instructor...
lol to funny ok here what im shooting pse chaos at 50 lb 26 and a half inch draw 400 velocity gold tip hunter 100 grain field head and a true ball release hope this helps all this was set up for me at cabelas
Old 09-10-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian medic View Post
lol to funny ok here what im shooting pse chaos at 50 lb 26 and a half inch draw 400 velocity gold tip hunter 100 grain field head and a true ball release hope this helps all this was set up for me at cabelas

take it to a proper archery shop .. for proper tuning .. next question how long have you been shooting ?? next thing will be untill you get about 200 arrows shot through your bow then i would start fine tuning because the string will stretch a bit and change how your set up is prior to it stretching .. peep will chnage anchor points will change also ..

Last edited by blackmamba; 09-10-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmamba View Post
[/B]

take it to a proper archery shop .. for proper tuning .. next question how long have you been shooting ?? next thing will be untill you get about 200 arrows shot through your bow then i would start fine tuning because the string will stretch a bit and change how your set up is prior to it stretching .. peep will chnage anchor points will change also ..
about 2000 + arrow through this just started shooting compound mid june I have been trying to watch my form to the point ive videoed 40 shoots and sat down to see if I saw any thing wrong but yeah I think its time my bow went in for a tune up only problem is there not many bow shops in the middle of no where but I have to make time to get it done
Old 09-10-2013, 05:13 PM

Default Groups

Just like with a rifle you can only shoot groups as good as the equipment will throw the projectile. Tuning is everything.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:24 PM

thanks to every one for the help and advice ill def be taking it
Old 09-10-2013, 06:11 PM

I believe the spine of your arrows may be too stiff. The 400's are .400", and the charts say your set up should be using .500" Wait and see what LOST and the others have to say.

"If the arrow is too stiff it is not as critical, but does not give the best possible grouping. "
Old 09-11-2013, 12:32 AM

Have you ever shot better groups than you're shooting now? The best advice given was to consult an instructor. Nobody can diagnose your ability or equipment set-up based on anything you can say on this forum. I know guys who have shot for years and an 8 inch group at 35 yards was good for them. What do you expect at 35 yards..........all 10X,s? More shooting is in order and somebody to have eyes on your form and equipment set-up. If you're that far away from a pro shop but committed to visit one, take advantage of the staff or pro shooter by having them critique you.........and get to know your bow better by doing the work on it yourself. Bow presses can be had for a reasonable price on-line......like you say if you are in the middle of nowhere........who you gonna call
Old 09-11-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
Have you ever shot better groups than you're shooting now? The best advice given was to consult an instructor. Nobody can diagnose your ability or equipment set-up based on anything you can say on this forum. I know guys who have shot for years and an 8 inch group at 35 yards was good for them. What do you expect at 35 yards..........all 10X,s? More shooting is in order and somebody to have eyes on your form and equipment set-up. If you're that far away from a pro shop but committed to visit one, take advantage of the staff or pro shooter by having them critique you.........and get to know your bow better by doing the work on it yourself. Bow presses can be had for a reasonable price on-line......like you say if you are in the middle of nowhere........who you gonna call
all true and im not sure if I should be getting tighter but seems like a lot of diff between 25 and 35 yards then not much at 45 the start of this was to ask if a stabiliser might me pull a little tighter group im not looking to stack at 35 but id like to be able to score in the 8 on a 3d target
Old 09-11-2013, 05:32 PM

ok this will sound strange because LC didn't respond to this but was reading some thing he posted to another thread and it seems to have shown me some thing I was doing I didn't even know he mentioned tucking the pinky in under the hand so its between the hand and bow that showed me I was over gripping the bow just as I loosed the arrow so leaving the pinky in help me with that a bit so group was down to about 5 inches by the end of a couple hours shoot so that moving the right way at least
Old 09-11-2013, 10:42 PM

that'll do it. I don't actually grip my bow. Just rest it between the vee created between my thumb and the rest of my hand.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbc View Post
that'll do it. I don't actually grip my bow. Just rest it between the vee created between my thumb and the rest of my hand.
I tried holding my fingers open like one instructor on you tube said then saw him in a later video say that was wrong then saw one guy say to grip with two fingers and in the video he used his whole hand so ive been trying different grips and found one that feels good now this newest change seems to be the next progression in getting to better
Old 09-11-2013, 11:01 PM

I was introduced to archery by my son in law...and he coached me at the start. He taught me to use the open hand and let the bow fall after the shot. (that's why you have a wrist strap ) You can close your hand lightly around the bow, or other methods...just don't grip it tightly and torque the bow.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:24 PM

I was having the same issue and the answer was has simple has relaxing my bow arm. If you try to keep your bow arm completely extended it's hard to keep the pin on target and not induce bow torque. I have change my grip to what people have suggest with pinkie and ring finger between the grip and hand to force your hand in a more 45 degree angle and shorten my draw lenght just a bit to allow my elbow to relax just a bit( not quit fully extended), now I can shoot a four to five inch group at 60 yard. After practicing at 60 yard those 40 yard shot now don't look so hard and group have got better by a lot, now it's hunting time with new found confidence in my shooting ability.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:43 PM

yeah ive using just the pinky curled in and its been helping a lot ive started practicing only at 35 and 45 yards two days at that now and im seeing a huge improvement so im going to keep at it and see how it goes
Old 09-14-2013, 11:07 AM

did you manage to fix the issue?
Old 09-14-2013, 11:12 AM

Default yes thanks to the tips ive found here

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaBuck View Post
did you manage to fix the issue?
groups are getting much tighter about 4 inches at 35 yards now with the odd fly away but much tighter for the most part
Old 09-14-2013, 01:20 PM

curious to know if you are shooting 45 yards and how your groupings are there. Sometimes it helps to sight in beyond your trouble spot, then return to it once further shots are on target.

If the pinky trick is working stick with it but let us know how your groups at 45 yards are coming.

Sometimes with the longer shots you take longer to acquire target, causing fatigue in your bow arm. That can be a result of poor groupings as well.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:31 PM

my 45 are about 6 to 8 inches im shooting 35 yards in the morning and 45 yards in the after noon they are getting tighter too with the pinky trick I think im very lucky to work in a rural area so I get to practice a lot and the area I shoot is close to the ambulace base so what more can I ask for