Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-25-2022, 12:12 PM

Default Some observations

Since my AutoTricker V3 won’t go below about 9 grains for bulk throws, I’ve taken to using Lee dipper scoops to make bulk throws. And then letting the AutoTrckler trickle up the rest. This is for TiteGroup powder, which is a fine ball powder.

I thought I would try my Lee Perfect measure to do the bulk throws. And again, let the AutoTrckler trickle up to the desired charge weight. In the example picture below, this is what I’m doing for a 6.2gr charge of TiteGroup for a .45LC cartridge.

My observation is that the Lee Perfect powder measure is very accurate. (Again, this is with a fine ball powder.) I adjusted the scale on the Lee unit and it throws between 5.90gr and 6.0gr every time. (Measured on the FX120i lab grade scale.) That’s a variance of only a tenth of a grain.

From a former RCBS ChargeMaster owner, I can say without a doubt that the Lee Perfect powder measure is just as accurate as the ChargeMaster (for this powder). I’ve been using the Lee unit now for three different calibers, and doing it like this for almost a thousand throws. It’s not just a one-off. Also, I’ve been using different sized bulk throws with the Lee because of the different requirements for each caliber. So the Lee unit has been adjusted. Again, not a one-off.

I’m not trying to rag on the RCBS unit. It served me well for many years. But the Lee is just as accurate.

Some observations.

Last edited by 6MT; 04-25-2022 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-25-2022, 02:46 PM

That has been my experience also as I have both. I use the lee perfect powder measure to load .223 with benchmark and h335 powder I have a digital scale and compare every 10-20th charge I throw it’s very consistent and for 1-500 yard plinking is plenty accurate for my needs.
Old 04-25-2022, 10:21 PM

Interesting, have you noticed a bottom limit on the V4? Or have you tried it as well? For the amount of small loads i've ever done below 10gr, I've just used the Lee spoons and the beam scale. That was before the days of the Chargemaster being around. I did have an electronic scale, never been used for powder though. Last small loads I did were 218Bee, just used Redding powder thrower, AA1680 ball, throws awesome with that and AA2230 on the 223.
Old 04-26-2022, 07:20 AM

I found the Lee Powder measure to be great for some powders as well, and used to use it for my BP
loads in my cartridge rifles and shotguns .
I hit a killer deal on anCA measure some years ago however , so the Lee sits in the cupboard now .
Cat
Old 04-26-2022, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
Interesting, have you noticed a bottom limit on the V4? Or have you tried it as well? For the amount of small loads i've ever done below 10gr, I've just used the Lee spoons and the beam scale. That was before the days of the Chargemaster being around. I did have an electronic scale, never been used for powder though. Last small loads I did were 218Bee, just used Redding powder thrower, AA1680 ball, throws awesome with that and AA2230 on the 223.
Actually, I only use the V4 for extruded powders. I kept the V3 because it works extremely well with the fine ball powders. I have not tried anything like that small of a charge in the V4, so I couldn't answer that question for you. Maybe one day I will try it...?

The V3 top bulk thrower unit uses a Lee design with a swiping "shelf" (sorry, that's the best way I can describe it). That design works very well with fine powders. The only issue with it is that it will not throw anything below 9 grains. Extruded powders are a different story with the V3. It's usable, but inconsistent. When the V4 came out, the issues with extruded powders disappeared (at least for me).

Andy 6MT

Last edited by 6MT; 04-26-2022 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-26-2022, 03:25 PM

My Chargemaster will not work on my Hornet cases, both are around 10 grains and the machine will not throw nearly consistent enough. I use a Redding powder thrower and it works just fine.
The Charge Master works just fine on all my other larger cases.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.