Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-26-2021, 09:31 AM

Default Filling the Gap...

Time for a new project(s)…Need help/input on deciding what. I have 2 rifle builds/tweaks I want to do in 2022.

Currently have

Kimber Montana 7mm-08 with a 22” Benchmark Barrel. Ideal use - deer using 120-140 gr bullets. Lightweight gun hiking/carry rifle.

Cooper Jackson Hunter 338-06, 22” barrel. Ideal use - Large game (Elk and Moose) at close to mid range (under 350 yards). Shooting 200-250 grain bullets.

I have these to work with

1. Kimber Montana 84L, currently a 270 (just picked up) - re-barrel options, 6.5 x 284, 280AI or 30-06…or? ideal use “all around” hiking rifle for deer to moose that could reach out there if needed. Leaning towards 280ai (have dies and brass) shooting 160-175 bullets. I see this rifle being my “go to” when I hunting areas with multiple tags.

2. Winchester Stainless Classic 270 WSM ( 3” mag box) - options 6.5 PRC, 7 Saum, 300 wsm, or …? I will be ordering a Wildcat Composites KS Tac Hunter Stock (Blank) for it and putting a barrel on it. Intention of this rifle will be longer range hunting (max 700 yards, not sure if I would ever shoot that far but would like it to be able to) for all game and shooting steel @ 1000 (+) yards.

Crazy thoughts I’ve had…

1. Could re-barrel the Cooper - will not sell this rifle. The serial # is my birthday and my daughters birthday…will be gifted to her at some point.
2. Chop barrel on the Montana 7mm-08 down to 20” and put my 1.5-5x20 scope on it… hello “Bush Gun”!

Crazy thoughts I haven't had

1. sell everything and go down to one gun. Haha

How would you set these rifles up? Don’t want too much over lap on the 4 rifles at the end of the day. I do reload.
Old 11-26-2021, 10:33 AM

I would chop the 7-08 to 18.5 - 20", and mount a low power variable. Leave the 338-06 as is if it serves your style / needs for close to med distance big game. Re-barrel the kimber to 280AI. Or re barrel the winchester to 7saum..you don't really need both. Either will work out as a longer range capable rifle. I would sell the one you like the least or fits you the least. And replace it with a needmore in whatever rifle you like set up for long range (1000k) fun shooting..

Here's my reasons

Short light carbines are my favorite and everyone should have one
Everyone needs a mid range hunting rifle that can delivery heavy bullet energy for moose and elk in thick brush / bear country
Either the 280AI or 7 saum are more than capable out to 700yds hunting but neither of these would be great target guns as they are expensive to shoot and will wear a barrel much faster than other options

For the first chambering the 280AI is the most economical best performance cartridge in the first group

For the winchester the 7saum is is more capable than the 6.5 PRC and much more affordable ( be around longer than) the current 7wsm.

A creedmoor is a better long range fun gun for all the reasons everyone knows....

My 2 cents