Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-18-2021, 01:32 PM

Default Little Bow lake

I have a question or two I would like to ask someone who has fished this lake (east of Travers). If anyone is willing to answer my question please let me know and I will send PM to discuss. Thank you.
Old 11-18-2021, 02:48 PM

Whats so secret that you cannot ask the members here?

No you cannot keep walleye or pike. Yes there are a few perch if you can find them and the whites are in the shallows now pretty much till ice off and using a wire worm seems to work good. And the burbs as usual are best fished at night in 25plus fow with a glow jig and minnow or smelt.

Most questions you may have ask and almost all members have no issues helping out, just do not ask for exact spots to fish.
Old 11-18-2021, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Whats so secret that you cannot ask the members here?

No you cannot keep walleye or pike. Yes there are a few perch if you can find them and the whites are in the shallows now pretty much till ice off and using a wire worm seems to work good. And the burbs as usual are best fished at night in 25plus fow with a glow jig and minnow or smelt.

Most questions you may have ask and almost all members have no issues helping out, just do not ask for exact spots to fish.
Wow harshness!!! Nothing secret, I just know some people do not like to talk about certain lakes. One question I had was, how is the winter fishing on this lake as well as how does this fishery do during the summer months? Looking to try new bodies of water and have heard good and bad things about this lake and just wanted some feedback. Thank you to any feedback!
Old 11-18-2021, 05:27 PM

the only thing i don't like about this place is you use to be able to drive in to ice fish it and all but after the whole campsite reno once fall hits the front gate is locked so you have to huff it in and its a bit of a walk depending what part of the lake you want to get to. parking is a bit of a headache too very limited when the gate is locked. really would like to know why the gate is locked.
Old 11-18-2021, 05:50 PM

there are some nice sized rainbows in the lake . work the inlet area of the lake for trout, pike . the sandy beach area for whites
Old 11-19-2021, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
there are some nice sized rainbows in the lake . work the inlet area of the lake for trout, pike . the sandy beach area for whites
And this answer is why you simply have to ask. Most everyone is more than willing to lend a hand.
Old 11-27-2021, 06:51 PM

Default Little Bow lake

I know its winter, but i have a question about open water fishing on this lake. How is the walleye & pike fishing and does it get really weedy? Daughter and I have fishing Kayaks and this lake would be a great place to fish, just looking for some feedback and nothing more. Thx!
Old 11-27-2021, 08:28 PM

decent pike fishing, never seen a rainbow in there but it is quite possible.

for open water, watch out for the shallow waters. Lots of sunken islands just under the surface.

Never ice fished there but i imagine a jig and minnow would be deadly for pike.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:19 PM

What do you want to know? Good sized lake , lots of privacy and can get on the ice pretty easy as there are lots of access roads. You can check out our ice fishing videos from last year.

https://youtu.be/h03-Plb1MCI
https://youtu.be/8-eSB7Cxnpg

I think the water level is down a another 3 to 6 feet from last year, so more islands will be visible this ice season.

Old 12-02-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
the only thing i don't like about this place is you use to be able to drive in to ice fish it and all but after the whole campsite reno once fall hits the front gate is locked so you have to huff it in and its a bit of a walk depending what part of the lake you want to get to. parking is a bit of a headache too very limited when the gate is locked. really would like to know why the gate is locked.
Hang on, are you saying the campsite meaning little bow campground? It's gated now in the fall?
Old 12-02-2021, 04:38 PM

The campground (Little Bow Reservoir Campground) on Little Bow Lake, not Little Bow Campground on Travers.
Old 12-02-2021, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdrizzle View Post
Hang on, are you saying the campsite meaning little bow campground? It's gated now in the fall?
the one on little bow res not travers. the one at the boat launch on travers is still good to go but on little bow res it self for the last few years the entrance gate is locked. it was renovated a few years ago and i am wondering if its under a different management where its seasonal???? not sure. i use to be able to drive in in the winter time.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:24 AM

We made one trip out to Little Bow this summer and had a great day catching pike. If you want to check the video you can use this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_TWd0ZoMbw&t=297s
Old 12-03-2021, 04:45 PM

i sure will. the scariest moment i had ice fishing little bow res was about 10 + years ago before the reno of the campground. i was ice fishing just off of the boat launch area in about 12 feet of water. caught a small foot and a half pike. i pulled it onto the ice and turned around to grab my plyers and jaw spreaders to get the hook out and when i turned back around to the fish i notice a huge shadow coming up behind me fast so i immediately turned around thinking it was the CO"s or another fisherman. to my horror all i saw was 10 huge claws coming right at me trying to get my fish. turns out to be a huge bald eagle as it veered off at the last second when i turned around to grab the fish. never in my life have i expected to see a bald eagle there. of coarse i soiled myself mentally.

Last edited by the local angler; 12-03-2021 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
i sure will. the scariest moment i had ice fishing little bow res was about 10 + years ago before the reno of the campground. i was ice fishing just off of the boat launch area in about 12 feet of water. caught a small foot and a half pike. i pulled it onto the ice and turned around to grab my plyers and jaw spreaders to get the hook out and when i turned back around to the fish i notice a huge shadow coming up behind me fast so i immediately turned around thinking it was the CO"s or another fisherman. to my horror all i saw was 10 huge claws coming right at me trying to get my fish. turns out to be a huge bald eagle as it veered off at the last second when i turned around to grab the fish. never in my life have i expected to see a bald eagle there. of coarse i soiled myself mentally.
Hahaha. It seems he is a resident there. I have seen a lone eagle there for several winters over the years

Dodger.