I got 5 barrels in totally, fit to this action
338 ss
300 wsm
6.5 ss
6 gt
22 creedmoor

And I also got a rim x that I can drop in to this stock as a trainer
Old 11-15-2021, 12:42 PM

I've already built my main hunting gun, a Kreighoff Classic SxS in 30R Blaser. Has irons on it, also has a peep setup, and a QD scope setup, and a reflex sight setup for it as well. It has a set trigger on the front trigger, adjustablle regulation, 24" bbls, upgraded to a Big 5 style stock with a wood upgrade. I did end up adding a 1" spacer to the butt for length, and a thicker pad, my mistake on ordering too short, by way of measuring my shotguns to spec it.
Scope is a Swaro 1-6 on Recknagel swing mount, peep is a Recknagel that clamps onto the rear mount pad for the scope, Leupold 2.5 Deltapoint adapts to it too, and it has the regular irons.
30R Blaser works much like a 300H&H rimmed, 30-06 AI. it is essentially a 7.62x68R.
Old 11-15-2021, 05:15 PM

Here’s mine

Savage short action
29” 1in9.5 jury barrel chambered in 300 wsm
Mcrs a5 clone stock
Mcrs muzzle brake
Mcrs 60 moa rail
Rifle basix trigger
Vortex strike eagle 5-25x56 mrad in mdt rings
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7F6BE053-6C0E-4181-972E-0D7585B3F763.jpg (46.9 KB, 88 views)
Old 11-15-2021, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post

Built this one this year

22” benchmark carbon fiber barrel
Bighorn sr3 action
Gunwerks Magnus stock
Arca rail
20 moa rail
Tangent theta 3-15 lrh
Trigger tech diamond
Chambered in 338 Sherman short mag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Really considering reconfiguring my 338 SS into more this style with shorter barrel and light stock with a 4.5-14 Leupold. Very nice!
Old 11-15-2021, 08:32 PM

Quote:

Built this one this year

22” benchmark carbon fiber barrel
Bighorn sr3 action
Gunwerks Magnus stock
Arca rail
20 moa rail
Tangent theta 3-15 lrh
Trigger tech diamond
Chambered in 338 Sherman short mag

Now there's a nice rig, awesome . Very nice rifle Mark. If a guy's going to build then this would be at the top of the list.

JD
Old 11-16-2021, 02:29 PM

6.5 PRC with a 22" Proof carbon barrel
Defiance AntiX action
XLR 4.0 Magnesium chassis
Jewel trigger
MDT 3 round mag
Zero Compromise rings and 4x20-50 scope
Old 11-16-2021, 06:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallz View Post
6.5 PRC with a 22" Proof carbon barrel
Defiance AntiX action
XLR 4.0 Magnesium chassis
Jewel trigger
MDT 3 round mag
Zero Compromise rings and 4x20-50 scope
Sounds like a nice Rifle
Did you get the folding stock ?
Old 11-16-2021, 06:49 PM

Since there’s some photos I’ll post mine.

Five of us hand hunted all week with two young apprentices. By Thursday evening we only had a doe down with limited sightings. These came out late Friday morning and with the hunt ending on Saturday it was time to fill some tags and get some meat in the freezer.

It’s a quick handling bolt action. I love the 60 degree terminus action. Triggertech makes a great trigger. The 20” rem sporter contour barrel makes it handy. The rifle without scope weighs 6.25lbs. It carries well and balances nicely with a 18-20oz scope.

It’s a great bush gun but has the accuracy to really go the distance if needed maintaining 1800fps to 500 yards.

Old 11-17-2021, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Sounds like a nice Rifle
Did you get the folding stock ?
Yep, the only way to go.
Old 11-17-2021, 10:45 AM

Well I wouldn’t sell any of my rifles. But if I had the cash I always wanted a 300 Norma Mag. Built on a Mauser 98 action, mannlicher full wood stock, double set trigger.
Old 11-17-2021, 12:39 PM

i would like a 7mm/375 ruger or 7PRC whatever u want to call it, in a 60 degree bolt lift action with a detachable magazine and a carbon barrel, wrapped in a light weight carbon stock with an adjustable cheek piece.
Old 11-17-2021, 12:46 PM

I did this a few years ago and do not regret it one bit.

Chambering: 7x57
Action: Small ring M98 Mauser
Bottom Metal: Standard M98 bottom metal
Trigger: Timney
Stock: Walnut, very light and trim
Scope: 2.5-8x36 vx3
Old 11-20-2021, 08:17 AM

Defiance Machine Rebel action with sheep port with CRF and 3 position safety in XM action length (3.20”)

XM BDL Kit (Custom, top-quality aluminum floor plate with Obendorf-style latch, by Snowy Mountain Rifles.)

.284 Proof Carbon Barrel, Sendero Light Contour 1 in 8.4 twist @ 22”

Cambered in 7 Saum shooting 168-180 grain bullets

Wildcat KS Tac Hunter or Manners EH 1

Trigger Tech Special Trigger

Leupold vx6 3-18x50 with TMOA reticle on Talley Rings

….I think.
Old 11-27-2021, 03:17 AM

Recently had this put together as my "all around" big game rifle. Super happy with it!

- Chambering - Hells Canyon Armory 1:8 twist cf barrel in 7 SAUM running 180gr Hybrids.
- Action- Rem 700 titanium modified for Wyatts extended box
- Bottom Metal - Hawkins Oberndorf
- Trigger - Timney Calvin Elite
- Stock - Mesa Precision Rem altitude
- Scope - Leupold VX-5hd 3-15x44 CDS-ZL2
Old 11-27-2021, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Cmon man!
Well then I’d have Snowy Mountain Rifles in Montana build me a 6.5x55 Swede.
Make it simple by letting them build it rather than me try to acquire the parts. I’d run a leupold VX5HD for a scope and add one extra thing you didn’t spec a SilencerCo Onega300 with a 6.5end cap to quiet things down a little.
Old 11-27-2021, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Well then I’d have Snowy Mountain Rifles in Montana build me a 6.5x55 Swede.
Make it simple by letting them build it rather than me try to acquire the parts. I’d run a leupold VX5HD for a scope and add one extra thing you didn’t spec a SilencerCo Onega300 with a 6.5end cap to quiet things down a little.
Oh come one, now you're just rubbing it in!
Old 11-28-2021, 12:09 AM

Great builds
Old 11-28-2021, 06:10 AM

Default 98 mauser

Argentine 1909 action ,Timney trigger ,Win 70 style 3 pos /wing safety,.416 Taylor in $$$$ walnut with double re-enforced crossbolts 24" barrel with ebony forend tip.Express sights and topped with a 4x Leupold heavy crosshairs.
Old 11-28-2021, 07:35 AM

I don’t know if I would call it really a custom build but my Marlin 336 is getting a big loop lever, creokoted, and a synthetic stock during the off season

I may have to get some stippling done, new optics, and may consider a trigger job too

It’s been a good little bush gun so I am going to give it some love
Old 11-28-2021, 08:07 AM
Banned

Default VO Falcon Limited Edition

Any Rifle I Wanted?

I would not build it because frankly, all I own is a multi-head screwdriver, a hammer, and a pair of pliers. I would just buy one of these:

VO Falcon Edition – World’s Most Expensive Rifle

The world’s most expensive rifle is the VO Falcon Edition priced at $825,000. Others may compete in collector value. VO Falcon Edition is the latest creation of the Swedish gun and rifle maker VO Vapen, founded in 1977 by master gunsmith Viggo Olsson. Mr. Olsson and his son create the world’s most exclusive handmade hunting rifles using a patented takedown system, which allows the person to use several different calibers to the same rifle.

World’s most expensive rifle is an honor to the falconry traditions in the Arabian world and is covered by beautiful engravings of Peregrine and Saker falcons among other luxurious finishes. The Falcon is the first VO takedown rifle to be built with a full stock. The octagon barrels of the VO Falcon Edition rifle is made of Damascus steel, which complements perfectly the stock done in the world’s finest walnut root.

My wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas, so I asked for one. As a backup plan, I put it on my Santa's Naughty or Nice List!

Last edited by North40Rules; 11-28-2021 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-28-2021, 03:56 PM

It would be:
- one that I can shoot well and practice with. A lot.
- light weight
- bolt action
- shorter barrel (21" typically for myself)
- clean crisp trigger set at 4lbs
- stock with the least drop at heel
- brightest optics I could afford. Wide magnification range, extended eye relief and parallax adjustment.

There are many combinations of equipment that will get you that basic rifle.

The choice of cartridge is more personal but for me it depends on:
- what game you intend to use it for
- minimum and maximum distances you plan on taking that game
- how willing you are to let an opportunity pass is it isn't exactly right for your equipment
- how sensitive you are to recoil

The choice of bullet is again personal and depends a lot on whether you want to reload or not.

For many years now I've been shooting a custom .308 Winchester. I load my own ammunition and use 165gr Nosler Partition bullets loaded to about 2630 fps at the muzzle. This rifle/ammo combination, with me pulling the trigger, gets me 5 shot groups under 2" at 250 yards. The longest shot I've made with it was just a shade under 550yds on a nice white tailed buck.

Here's where I'm going with this;
- I shoot this particular ammunition because it is accurate. It just doesn't matter how fast you miss.
- The rifle is light and relatively short (13" length of pull and 21" barrel). That means I can carry it all day under any conditions and get onto target quickly in tight conditions when I need to.
- Recoil is relatively light; light enough that I can see bullet impacts. It took me 2 shots to get that deer at 550yds. First shot I placed the crosshairs where I wanted the bullet to go and watched where the bullet hit the ground and noted that impact's location on the vertical reticle. 2nd shot I lifted the point of aim to where I noted the impact of the 1st shot was on my target point and touched off. Couldn't have done that if I hadn't seen the first round impact. The deer helped also: It made the mistake of stopping after the 1st shot and giving me a nice broadside target.
- 500 yds is about the practical limit for the rifle on deer sized animals. That 550yd shot was a clean heart shot. It went through the ribs on my side of the animal, through the heart, and DID NOT EXIT THE RIB CAGE. In other word at that distance the bullet had just the minimum energy left to get into the rib cage. Hit the shoulder on the way in and you have a wounded animal.

Before this rifle I shot a 7mm Rem Mag. It was even more accurate than my .308 is, but it was heavier and longer. It had no energy issues out to 500yds, but the recoil prevented my from seeing bullet impacts. I compensated with more practice and better range estimation. Overall I put more than 1000 rds through that rifle before changing to the .308. Practice, practice, practice.

What I learned from the 7mm and from shooting my friend's .338 Win Mag was that I can handle heavier recoils, love stocks with very little drop at the heel (results in less muzzle climb) and I hate the recoil of 30 magnums.

Nothing wrong with a 30 magnum if you can shoot it well. I can't. I find the recoil to be very sharp while magnums with a larger bore tend to be more of a "push". That's just me. But that's also the point: Use what YOU can shoot well.

What I learned from decades of hunting with them is that I like to hunt animals from deer size to moose size.

What I learned from both was that:
- bullet construction is critical. THE BULLET MUST NOT COME APART on impact.
- Bullet placement is not always perfect and more energy on target is generally better in that I gives you better penetration and can go through more of the animal to reach the vitals.

So, with all this in mind, the custom hunting rifle now being made for me is being chambered in .338 LM. There is nothing special about the LM. I chose it only because of the action that was easily available to me. If I had been starting from scratch I would have chosen the .338 Win Mag. It has all the capacity and versatility I needed.

Just my 22 cents worth...
Old 11-28-2021, 04:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamSpock View Post
It would be:
- one that I can shoot well and practice with. A lot.
- light weight
- bolt action
- shorter barrel (21" typically for myself)
- clean crisp trigger set at 4lbs
- stock with the least drop at heel
- brightest optics I could afford. Wide magnification range, extended eye relief and parallax adjustment.

There are many combinations of equipment that will get you that basic rifle.

The choice of cartridge is more personal but for me it depends on:
- what game you intend to use it for
- minimum and maximum distances you plan on taking that game
- how willing you are to let an opportunity pass is it isn't exactly right for your equipment
- how sensitive you are to recoil

The choice of bullet is again personal and depends a lot on whether you want to reload or not.

For many years now I've been shooting a custom .308 Winchester. I load my own ammunition and use 165gr Nosler Partition bullets loaded to about 2630 fps at the muzzle. This rifle/ammo combination, with me pulling the trigger, gets me 5 shot groups under 2" at 250 yards. The longest shot I've made with it was just a shade under 550yds on a nice white tailed buck.

Here's where I'm going with this;
- I shoot this particular ammunition because it is accurate. It just doesn't matter how fast you miss.
- The rifle is light and relatively short (13" length of pull and 21" barrel). That means I can carry it all day under any conditions and get onto target quickly in tight conditions when I need to.
- Recoil is relatively light; light enough that I can see bullet impacts. It took me 2 shots to get that deer at 550yds. First shot I placed the crosshairs where I wanted the bullet to go and watched where the bullet hit the ground and noted that impact's location on the vertical reticle. 2nd shot I lifted the point of aim to where I noted the impact of the 1st shot was on my target point and touched off. Couldn't have done that if I hadn't seen the first round impact. The deer helped also: It made the mistake of stopping after the 1st shot and giving me a nice broadside target.
- 500 yds is about the practical limit for the rifle on deer sized animals. That 550yd shot was a clean heart shot. It went through the ribs on my side of the animal, through the heart, and DID NOT EXIT THE RIB CAGE. In other word at that distance the bullet had just the minimum energy left to get into the rib cage. Hit the shoulder on the way in and you have a wounded animal.

Before this rifle I shot a 7mm Rem Mag. It was even more accurate than my .308 is, but it was heavier and longer. It had no energy issues out to 500yds, but the recoil prevented my from seeing bullet impacts. I compensated with more practice and better range estimation. Overall I put more than 1000 rds through that rifle before changing to the .308. Practice, practice, practice.

What I learned from the 7mm and from shooting my friend's .338 Win Mag was that I can handle heavier recoils, love stocks with very little drop at the heel (results in less muzzle climb) and I hate the recoil of 30 magnums.

Nothing wrong with a 30 magnum if you can shoot it well. I can't. I find the recoil to be very sharp while magnums with a larger bore tend to be more of a "push". That's just me. But that's also the point: Use what YOU can shoot well.

What I learned from decades of hunting with them is that I like to hunt animals from deer size to moose size.

What I learned from both was that:
- bullet construction is critical. THE BULLET MUST NOT COME APART on impact.
- Bullet placement is not always perfect and more energy on target is generally better in that I gives you better penetration and can go through more of the animal to reach the vitals.

So, with all this in mind, the custom hunting rifle now being made for me is being chambered in .338 LM. There is nothing special about the LM. I chose it only because of the action that was easily available to me. If I had been starting from scratch I would have chosen the .338 Win Mag. It has all the capacity and versatility I needed.

Just my 22 cents worth...
Why go with the 338 lapua when the 338 Norma would be a better fit?
The only thing special about the lapua is the larger bolt face
The Norma will allow you to keep the bullets out of the powder column without needed a extended box
You’ll be in for a shocker if your trying to make a lightweight short barreled lapua
That baby will rattle your chicklets pretty good lol
Shooting 250-300gr bullets bump up the recoil level substantially
Old 11-29-2021, 06:23 PM

Hagn single shot in 300 WBY with octagon barrel,bullet trap,case colered metal and exhibition french walnut should about do it...
Old 11-29-2021, 07:17 PM

Love building on m98 actions. If not a mauser than a marlin lever. 336 or 1895. Pretty much the only two actions I hunt big game with. Coyotes i use a push feed savage and for target work I use anything thats accurate... for a hunting gun give me a CRF m98 or a good old lever please
Old 12-01-2021, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North40Rules View Post
Sorry, but that rifle is hideous. Screams "MONEY" and nothing else.
Old 12-01-2021, 05:46 AM
Banned

https://www.gunwerks.com/blog/lrp-po...ong-range-272#

Very similar to what I’ve done
1x back pack rig
1x do anything
1x 1 mile capable system
Old 12-05-2021, 04:45 PM
Banned

Went to the range to do some load development with the 6.5ss
I wish all rifles were this easy
Old 12-05-2021, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Went to the range to do some load development with the 6.5ss
I wish all rifles were this easy
What bullet and what kind of velocity Mark?
Old 12-05-2021, 08:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
What bullet and what kind of velocity Mark?
144gr berger lr's
I was at 2920 and didnt hit any sort of pressure yet with h1000
Going to try some n565 also
Old 12-05-2021, 09:56 PM

Thanks Mark