Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-12-2021, 10:52 AM

Default Leaky boat

Last few times out I seemed to take on some unwanted water.

My live well pump was acidentally left running dry a while back and I am suspecting something there. It still pumps but not at a good level. Makes we wonder if when if the pump is not holding the water back as it should and is letting some in and then leaking from the pump into the bildge.

I checked the nut at the stearn holding the pump and it is nice and tight and I also went around both inside and outside the pump inlet with silicon.

Any ideas, never had an issue before. The boat is now in my garage so not an issue as to working on it. Thinking maybe I need to replace the pump. The current one is a Johnson 500 GPM
Old 11-13-2021, 10:13 AM

Someone must have had some issues with a live well pump

A little help would be appreciated. BTW I also noticed the screen that covers the live well pipe outside the boat was dented, makes we wonder if the pipe itself has been cracked.

ANY IDEA'S

TROLLER
Old 11-13-2021, 12:21 PM

What happens if you fill it with water? If you're concerned about internal leakage I'd see if it's possible to fill it up and look for drips.
As far as pump function goes the vains may be worn from running dry. I don't know if that specific pump is rebuildable but it's worth looking into.
Old 11-13-2021, 12:54 PM

Thanks the veins may very well be worn. If they are that could have a factor in the pump not holding back incoming water. It is a Johnson pump so i can simply replace the cartridge.

I think how my screen got the dent happened my last trip to Pine Coulee, the launch was really low and the port side of my boat droped into quite a deep hole, I pulled out and never dip launch.
Old 11-13-2021, 01:45 PM

I would check the seal where that screen is sitting first. I know a fellow in SK that had a livewell problem with his new Crestliner. Have no idea what he did to fix it but I know hw fought it for a long time. Start at the outlet and work backward from there. Good luck
Old 11-13-2021, 02:35 PM

I would start by tilting the boat upward at front, then put a coupla gals in bilge area and look for leaks on the outside first, then I would put some water in the live well next. I always start at the very back and work forward a little at a time if its a riveted hull it can be a real challenge to find and tighten a leaker. You can use compressed air and soapy water to ck for leaks to but its a two person job but it goes pretty fast as well (air on one side mister bottle with soap on the out side watch for bubbles kinda like a tire)
Old 11-14-2021, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
I would check the seal where that screen is sitting first. I know a fellow in SK that had a livewell problem with his new Crestliner. Have no idea what he did to fix it but I know hw fought it for a long time. Start at the outlet and work backward from there. Good luck
my Crestline leaked water at the live well intake fitting when new .
had free spirit send me the fitting and i replaced it no more leak.
i found it by using a flash light while out on the lake looking in to the bulge area
Old 11-14-2021, 03:08 PM

Default Leaky boat

Why don’t you post some information about the boat and pics of what we are working with? Your asking for help and all we know is you took some water in the bilge area and it’s got a Johnson pump. That’s not enough information to even start troubleshooting.

From what you’ve said though, silicon isn’t a very good sealant for what your trying to do. Sikaflex or 3M 4200 would be my suggestion.

I’ll also add. My bilge pump is a Johnson like this

It lives behind the bait pump back there

Before I put the water witch float on, it ran dry for hours. Probably hundreds of hours. It still works like a champ and doesn’t leak. It did pick up some fishing line in the impeller once and didn’t work very good but was easy enough to fix.

Last edited by Coiloil37; 11-14-2021 at 03:13 PM.