Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-18-2021, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Thanks for taking the time to go through that and I can tell immediately that you must be running different software than mine as the unit I have is different. There is 100 percent no cone angle option and I've never had the unit re start when selecting ice fishing mode.

Next I guess time to check for an update and will let you know how it goes but won't be looking at it until after hunting 🙂.

Apologies as well for the derail
Update - this was bugging me so decided it couldn't wait. Went and looked up a software update and threw it on the Helix along with the recommended basemap refresh. It's basically a different unit now, kind of funny honestly. Menu options are what SamSteele described. The way I was running it was working with some tweeks but this should be much more convenient.

Once again thanks for taking the time to post that as after reading it was pretty obvious there was a fundamental difference in operation.
Old 11-18-2021, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
It's a Ford/Chevy thing. I have a Marcum LX-7 and love it. I've found that the hardcore midwest ice fishermen tend to prefer Vexilars.
Yeah,... Liked mine as well when it worked. Mine was an early model and was certainly not built tough. Not sure if they are better now. For the price it just wasn't worth it imo
Old 11-18-2021, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Update - this was bugging me so decided it couldn't wait. Went and looked up a software update and threw it on the Helix along with the recommended basemap refresh. It's basically a different unit now, kind of funny honestly. Menu options are what SamSteele described. The way I was running it was working with some tweeks but this should be much more convenient.

Once again thanks for taking the time to post that as after reading it was pretty obvious there was a fundamental difference in operation.

Glad it worked out for you! Hopefully the ice builds and you get a chance to use it soon.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 11-20-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Glad it worked out for you! Hopefully the ice builds and you get a chance to use it soon.

SS
can u up date a gen 1 helix 7
Old 11-20-2021, 05:14 PM

Default Best flasher for somebody new to it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
can u up date a gen 1 helix 7

The last update for the Helix 7 Gen 1 was in 2016. It is still available on the Humminbird website, but the features of that unit will be different than those described above. I dont think I’ce mode was an option on them but I can’t recall specifically.

SS

Old 11-21-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
The last update for the Helix 7 Gen 1 was in 2016. It is still available on the Humminbird website, but the features of that unit will be different than those described above. I dont think I’ce mode was an option on them but I can’t recall specifically.

SS
thanks for the info .
yes it does have ice mode used it last year for the first time ice fishing after my camera quit working .
u can easily see a wire worm on the screen it is quite sensitive .
Old 11-21-2021, 03:12 PM

The best bang for your buck is a Garmin Stryker 4. It is on sale this Friday at Cabela's for 230 bucks you can mark way points and what not as well so you can return to your spot. It has a flasher mode and A scope/ traditional. the 77herzts function is a 45 degree cone and the 200herzts is a 25 degree cone( I think haven't used that option much). The one for 230 comes with a all-season case battery. the good thing too is if you want to upgrade the head unite later you can fit a 7" screen in the all-season case.

gbuss
Old 11-21-2021, 06:05 PM

New to ice fishing electronics as well. Trying to decide between Vexilar FL8 or Garmin Striker 4 ice bundle .Not looking for lots of bells and whistles? Thanks to everyone for their input.
Old 11-22-2021, 06:31 AM

I noticed that Cabela's has the MarCum M1 flasher on sale for $299, which is $100 off the regular price, on one of their Black Friday sales starting today.

OP requested an easy to use model, and I bought the predecessor of this model in about 2014 and it's still the unit that I own and use. It doesn't have some of the bells and whistles of other models, but I use mine out at Spray Lakes in 90+ feet of water every season and it suites my needs just fine. $300 is a pretty decent deal for a flasher.
Old 11-22-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
I noticed that Cabela's has the MarCum M1 flasher on sale for $299, which is $100 off the regular price, on one of their Black Friday sales starting today.

OP requested an easy to use model, and I bought the predecessor of this model in about 2014 and it's still the unit that I own and use. It doesn't have some of the bells and whistles of other models, but I use mine out at Spray Lakes in 90+ feet of water every season and it suites my needs just fine. $300 is a pretty decent deal for a flasher.

Was going to recommend that one as well. Good price and mine has been a solid unit. No bells and whistles, but it works pretty well. I would say it’s better for 80 feet of water or less and it kind of loses power past that. Suspect most entry level flashers are similar in that regard.

SS

Old 11-22-2021, 11:50 AM

Depends where you fish. If deep water go LX7. They outshine the rest in depths.