Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-08-2021, 08:53 AM

Default Best flasher for somebody new to it?

Hello,

So I am thinking about getting a flasher for upcoming ice fishing season. Never used one before, any tips on what I should be looking for so it would be not too complicated to learn to use it and it still would be decent quality? budget would be up to 500$.

Thanks.
Old 11-08-2021, 10:46 AM

Vexilar FL8
Old 11-08-2021, 10:58 AM

Don't be butter soft and let down the flasher posse.
Old 11-08-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
Hello,

So I am thinking about getting a flasher for upcoming ice fishing season. Never used one before, any tips on what I should be looking for so it would be not too complicated to learn to use it and it still would be decent quality? budget would be up to 500$.

Thanks.
Chevy / Dodge / Ford...... it's really personal preference. But for me, the Helix series from Humminbird is the most user friendly. There's a lot of good YouTube content for how to use it properly.
Old 11-08-2021, 03:24 PM

Vexilar FL-8SE gets my vote as well.
Old 11-08-2021, 03:39 PM

At your price point, the FL-8SE would be my first choice...and I own a Humminbird Ice 55. I'd swap out for a 12* cone on the transducer. But other than that it's a great flasher.
Old 11-08-2021, 04:03 PM

I've got an Ice 55 for the past 10 years. No issues
Old 11-08-2021, 04:03 PM

I started with an ice 45 and it was great. Other all season units are only a little more expensive but have benefits of open water use too
Old 11-08-2021, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
I started with an ice 45 and it was great. Other all season units are only a little more expensive but have benefits of open water use too
I have helix 5 on my boat so no need for open water use... seems like Vexilar is most suggested option and price is 429$ so within budget. Watched few videos, seems pretty straightforward. In one video it was quite noisy though.... is it regular thing with all of them or just that particular unit?
Old 11-08-2021, 04:13 PM

One more question - so if FL8 does not have zoom function would it still be good fishing in 40-60 ft for lake trout? Or that zoom function is a must for deep water fishing?
Old 11-08-2021, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I have helix 5 on my boat so no need for open water use... seems like Vexilar is most suggested option and price is 429$ so within budget. Watched few videos, seems pretty straightforward. In one video it was quite noisy though.... is it regular thing with all of them or just that particular unit?
The FLX models are brushless and are a lot quieter. The FLX-12 is the brushless version of the FL-8SE.

I seem to fish mostly in depths between 15’ and 30’ and use the zoom feature all the time.
Old 11-08-2021, 05:27 PM

Garmin striker 5 is another option. Can set way points. I used mine in the summer to map a few lakes. I have used both striker and the FL8 at 60'

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/g...1857p.html#srp
Old 11-08-2021, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Garmin striker 5 is another option. Can set way points. I used mine in the summer to map a few lakes. I have used both striker and the FL8 at 60'

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/g...1857p.html#srp
I'll second the Striker 5. I have a 5cv plus and a 7dv vivid both set up for ice. I've used mine to 130ft deep, cone angle is adjustable from 16-24* on the gt8 ducer and 9-15* on gt10. You can split screen and run flasher mode and 2d sonar at the same time plus it is a fully functioning gps unit and lake mapping unit. Can't go wrong imo.
I will however suggest a better place to shop than garbage tire lol.

https://www.gpscentral.ca/products/g...ng-bundle.html

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2021, 08:48 PM

Vexilar

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2021, 08:56 PM

If you already have a Helix 5 why not save some money and use it with an ice transducer and possibly a shuttle? I use my helix units on the ice all the time.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 11-08-2021, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
If you already have a Helix 5 why not save some money and use it with an ice transducer and possibly a shuttle? I use my helix units on the ice all the time.

SS

This is probably the best bet. Has good power for deep water too. I would pair it with a lithium though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 11-08-2021, 09:59 PM

Quote:

SS
Agree, 130 dollar transducer, 30 dollar battery, can even home build a shuttle for it. I love vexilars but that will be much better bang for the buck.

One caveat though is in my experience converting a regular helix meant for boat use the software isn't set up the same, not as much an issue in shallow water but laker fishing I need to manually dick around with frequencies to not have it interfere with anything within 100 yards it seems. The dedicated hardwater units seem to have that easier to manipulate with "cone angle" settings.
Old 11-09-2021, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Agree, 130 dollar transducer, 30 dollar battery, can even home build a shuttle for it. I love vexilars but that will be much better bang for the buck.

One caveat though is in my experience converting a regular helix meant for boat use the software isn't set up the same, not as much an issue in shallow water but laker fishing I need to manually dick around with frequencies to not have it interfere with anything within 100 yards it seems. The dedicated hardwater units seem to have that easier to manipulate with "cone angle" settings.

There are two different ice transducers. The XI 9 20 which has a 20 degree/60 degree dual beam cone and the XI 9 1521 that has a 15-21 degree cone and is only compatible with CHIRP units. If you are using the XI 9 20 transducer the 60 degree cone in deep water may be what’s causing your interference.

I use the XI 9 1521 on my units and I don’t see the interference you mention when fishing around other units. I’ve intentionally tried it around Marcum flashers, Lowrance activetargets, and other Helix units while on Cold Lake.

Old 11-09-2021, 06:51 AM

Default SamSteele

When it comes to fishing, I listen to SamSteele. No one gets out there and does it more than him. Booksmart and “in the field” smart.

I’m a Vexilar fan for on the ice, simply for durability, but his suggestion to use your helix is likely the best one.
Old 11-09-2021, 08:51 AM

Quote:

SS
Boat is shrink wrapped and winterized.... not taking it off the boat.
Old 11-09-2021, 08:26 PM

Quote:
There are two different ice transducers. The XI 9 20 which has a 20 degree/60 degree dual beam cone and the XI 9 1521 that has a 15-21 degree cone and is only compatible with CHIRP units. If you are using the XI 9 20 transducer the 60 degree cone in deep water may be what’s causing your interference.

I use the XI 9 1521 on my units and I don’t see the interference you mention when fishing around other units. I’ve intentionally tried it around Marcum flashers, Lowrance activetargets, and other Helix units while on Cold Lake.
It's a helix 7 chirp gps g2 with the 1521 transducer. Do you have a cone angle setting on your units that you take ice fishing? Mine doesn't even in "ice fishing" mode but the dedicated ice units I've seen do. Maybe I'm in need of a software update or something but iirc I have to walk back the maximum frequency to narrow my "cone". I just adjust it down to where there is no more interference and I can still see my hook and fish and then I can fish closer to my other units within reason. There is interference rejection but doesn't seem to work as well.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:49 AM

Another vote for the Vexillar FL series of Flashers. For use specifically on ice they can't be beat and I have tried almost all of the common options. I have one original FL-8 that is nearly 30 years old, has had one set of brushes replaced, is on its 3rd battery and a LOT of use.
Old 11-15-2021, 12:04 PM

Vexilar 100% Bulletproof.
Old 11-15-2021, 02:03 PM

You can also find some decent deals on refurbished Vexilars on their website. When my girlfriend really started getting into icefishing (and I was tired of sharing my FLX-28), I bought her a refurbished FL-20 GENZ pack for $400 with shipping. Unit arrived and I could not find a single scratch or sign of wear on it. It has performed flawlessly for two seasons of heavy use (>30 trips/year).
Old 11-16-2021, 06:54 AM

Sorry for dumb question - I was looking at depth scale on Vexilar in the store and it looks like it goes to 35 ft only? How does it work in 60ft depth?
Old 11-16-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Sorry for dumb question - I was looking at depth scale on Vexilar in the store and it looks like it goes to 35 ft only? How does it work in 60ft depth?
The scrren actually says 20 feet in white or 30 in yellow. The range button is the second knob down on the side. You choose the range according to the depth so multiply 20x1,2 or 4 in white or 30x1 or x2 etc in the yellow range range choices.etc. The muliplication factor applies to each marked dept, so 4x0 is still zero, but the 5 mark is now 20 feet.

Old 11-16-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
It's a helix 7 chirp gps g2 with the 1521 transducer. Do you have a cone angle setting on your units that you take ice fishing? Mine doesn't even in "ice fishing" mode but the dedicated ice units I've seen do. Maybe I'm in need of a software update or something but iirc I have to walk back the maximum frequency to narrow my "cone". I just adjust it down to where there is no more interference and I can still see my hook and fish and then I can fish closer to my other units within reason. There is interference rejection but doesn't seem to work as well.
I'm not sure what version your software is on your unit, but I will outline how to change it here. I'm currently looking at a Helix 8 MSI+ G4N (software version 2.660) on my ice shuttle with the XI 9 1521 transducer attached.

Step 1: Put your unit in "Ice Mode" by pressing menu twice to get to the big menu screen, scroll over to the sonar tab, scroll down until you see "Ice Mode". Select that. The unit will reboot.

Step 2: Press the menu button once. A small menu will pop up and the third option listed is "Cone Angle" where you can select 15-21 degree, 15 degree, or 21 degree cone angle.

If you are still getting interference there is an interference rejection menu option with 6 different modes that you can access when the unit is in Ice Mode. Press the menu button once and select "CHIRP IR". As you cycle through you will see that they alternate between a 15 and 21 degree cone for IR.

The Helix units also have a Noise Rejection setting as well, regardless if it is in Open water or Ice Mode. To access this, press the menu button twice, scroll over to the sonar tab, scroll down to "Noise Filter" which also has 6 different settings.

I haven't had to mess with the IR and NR settings much, but it appears as though you can set them independently. For example I can set the IR to setting 3 and the NR setting can be anything from None to setting 6.

I hope that helps you. Sorry for the delay but I wanted to be in front of the unit to ensure the details were there.

OP, sorry for the derail.

SS

ETA: I just confirmed the settings are the same on my Helix 5 G2 CHIRP with the most up to date software version (version 2.330). Your Helix 7 CHIRP G2 should be exactly the same if updated.

Last edited by SamSteele; 11-16-2021 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-16-2021, 03:58 PM

Thanks for taking the time to go through that and I can tell immediately that you must be running different software than mine as the unit I have is different. There is 100 percent no cone angle option and I've never had the unit re start when selecting ice fishing mode.

Next I guess time to check for an update and will let you know how it goes but won't be looking at it until after hunting 🙂.

Apologies as well for the derail
Old 11-17-2021, 03:26 PM

I would look at the marcum m5l. The dual beam is nice for fishing super shallow or deep. Not too many settings, but your not missing any of the features that might make you upgrade later. The battery life with the brushless motor and lithium battery would be deadly. I have seen them for $500 on sale at Sail's website fairly often.

Having seen the m5 in person I can say it is quieter than average. It does also have zoom. Great for Lakers to have the full water column on one side and the zoom on bottom on the other.

I loved my lx5, had it for years before it died from a bad sled crash. I have the helix 7 now which is crazy cool but not necessary. Not nearly as easy to use.
Old 11-17-2021, 07:56 PM

It's a Ford/Chevy thing. I have a Marcum LX-7 and love it. I've found that the hardcore midwest ice fishermen tend to prefer Vexilars.