Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-13-2021, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCowboy View Post
The thing that bothered me the most is that they are hanging hat on the theory that each fish is being caught 5 times in summer and want to reduce that to 1. They are basing this on study done another river on the effects of recycling fish. The bow is fairly unique in many ways. If it wasn't then it wouldn't be the "blue ribbon" fishery they want it to be.

Very little attention given increasing mortality. Only repeating that if you catch 5 trout now that number needs to be 1. They want less people fish or catching less fish. How about increasing number of fish (habitat factors)? More fish the recycle rate goes down.

By there own admission they are limited what they can control. Mostly regs changes. Well bring the other departments in work together. Industry, irrigation, flood midigation.
I’m still not sure how they actually got the data that each fish is being caught 5 times. Feels like that’s difficult to prove. Regardless, I seem to recall one of the lecturers stating that mortality was low on the highwood because of low temp water, would the bow not be the same?

Feels like an echo chamber full of bureaucratic nonsense who’s aim is to shut everything down. If that’s the goal, shut the department down and save us all money. Agree that they need to start thinking broader & in cooperation with industry instead of just trying to justify their own existence. They’re just slagging fishermen because they can instead of tackling potentially larger issues (if issues at all). Would be interesting to see if the pop levels are somewhat erratic by nature by gathering a few more years of data before making any rash decisions. If it happens to the bow, again what stops them from running with it on the NSR or SSR.

why not just STOCK? smh
Old 11-14-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCowboy View Post
The sessions can now be viewed here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSFl9ZWKj6c for those that missed it.

Very interesting stuff
Thanks for the link. I agree, very interesting stuff. I thought they actually did a good job of presenting the issue(s). My biggest complaint is that the format is not open enough. They need to have a future session with 2-way and live dialogue. I would rather they do hold one like they just did and then follow-up with the live one. I.e. arm people with info, give them time to think, and then have the real discussion.

There is a lot to how many anglers fish the bow. From my own experience, when I lived in Calgary for a year in 2015 I fished the bow only on weekdays. The number of others out fishing was a lot lower then say a weekend. No surprise right. I stuck with the plan and did extremely well in all the areas I fished. ...miss those evenings. I've been back several times driving down from Edmonton, on weekends, and it has been discouraging from just the sheer number of angers. It forces me to find new areas and spots. Which was one positive. But on return trips even those spots were taken. There are a literal _hit ton of anglers on any given weekend...maybe too many from my experiences. Just my opinion of course.

I'm curious of those that fish the bow and live in and around Calgary largely do the same. When are your most productive times and preferred times to fish it?

Last edited by SNAPFisher; 11-14-2021 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I’d rather be outdoors View Post
I’m still not sure how they actually got the data that each fish is being caught 5 times. Feels like that’s difficult to prove. Regardless, I seem to recall one of the lecturers stating that mortality was low on the highwood because of low temp water, would the bow not be the same?

Feels like an echo chamber full of bureaucratic nonsense who’s aim is to shut everything down. If that’s the goal, shut the department down and save us all money. Agree that they need to start thinking broader & in cooperation with industry instead of just trying to justify their own existence. They’re just slagging fishermen because they can instead of tackling potentially larger issues (if issues at all). Would be interesting to see if the pop levels are somewhat erratic by nature by gathering a few more years of data before making any rash decisions. If it happens to the bow, again what stops them from running with it on the NSR or SSR.

why not just STOCK? smh
There is a lot I don't agree with on your post. It feels like it is coming from a place of fear. I do agree with you though that I think the idea to continue to gather more data before making decisions has merit - at least in a reasonable amount of time. Especially since 2021 numbers are up a bit. So it would be nice to see if that is short-term trend or not. I also did not hear anything that they would not do this anyways.

The take away I got was not a shut it down approach but to look at ways of returning to a better fishery. The fact they encouraged to look at and share more data now is a good thing. It sounds like they are thinking more of cumulative smaller changes to improve things rather than the big bang approach. Michael S. spoke well to that I thought. Of course there are no specifics yet but I suspect that will come in a survey to follow.

Sara B. spoke to the stocking question. If you didn't listen to that then set the index to 50:14 and give it a listen.

I can't speak to your comment on the SSR, never fished it. But the NSR I'm not worried about. You want to talk about an underutilized fishery then look no further than the NSR. I'm not sure why you would jump to this. Doesn't fit for me and not something I would be concerned with... at least any time soon.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post

I'm curious of those that fish the bow and live in and around Calgary largely do the same. When are your most productive times and preferred times to fish it?
I am fortunate to live within 5min drive to many access points. I fish when I want to and don't really pay attention to most productive times. On summer weekends if you go 10-15 walk up or down stream from the parking lots you usually can find a spot for yourself.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I’d rather be outdoors View Post

why not just STOCK? smh
Bow is hotter in summer. Actually most easter slopes rivers are getting hotter. Remember reading reports on bow temp increases but can't find it right now. Rainbows have almost completely disappeared below bassano and higher temps caused by floods blamed.

Many reasons for water temps increasing in upper bow. Climate change, road construction, deforestation.

Here is a short video talking about esastern slopes water https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=***tGgOCapo
Old 11-14-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
Anyone else notice the massive fall off of bugs since this?
And when the bugs die off the fish still need to feed, they turn far more cannibalistic than normal, eating the small ones, lots of them. That doesn't help recruitment of stocks one bit.
Old 11-14-2021, 10:46 AM

My dumb redneck brain says there is way more to the decline in fish numbers than C&R mortality on the Bow

The only way you’re going to see improvement is if changes are made beyond fishing regs. A good starting point is habitat improvement