Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-21-2021, 09:26 PM

Default Still Hunting

If you guys are anything like me and many of you probably are, you are continually looking at ways to evolve your hunting skill. I pretty much only hunt public land and found I was spending a lot of time roaming around but not creating any great shot opportunities and I wasn’t seeing many deer when I would wait in ambush near clearings. I always got my deer but knew that sometimes it was purely just because of the amount of time I was spending in the field.

So in October of 2019, I sent Bushleague a private message after reading a post of his. I explained that I wanted to learn more about Still Hunting. A phone call later and we were set up to chase some bucks in the woods in the middle of November.

For the 2019 hunting season I had put in for an antlered WT draw, so I would be unable to shoot a buck while hunting with BL, but that wasn’t the point, I was there to learn.

We met up on the evening of November 14, 2019. A plan was hatched, we would hunt a spot the following morning that BL hadn’t hunted in a couple of years. When we woke up on the morning of the 15th we were blessed with a fresh dusting of snow, probably no more than a centimeter, but enough that we could hunt with a blended style of tracking and still hunting. Once the truck was parked we quickly took off, we were sort of racing against first light but also just booting it to where we wanted to start to still hunt.

Once we were close and BL picked up a track, we slowed way down. I often find one of the hardest things about hunting the bush is the first couple of steps into it. It’s often thick and you may not know what is on the other side, but once you’re in the options open up. Because of fresh snow, BL had quickly picked up a track and was following it into the bush and out of the overgrown cutline we were currently in. We had only been on the track for thirty or forty meters when BL whispered, “this scat looks like it’s from a buck, I’m fairly certain we are on a buck.” With that we slowly pressed on, BL studying the track and the surroundings, me not far behind taking in the forest as it starts to materialize with the sunrise. We probably moved a few hundred meters into the bush when BL turned back and whispered, “it’s a medium-sized deer and most definitely a buck we are following.” With that, we continued at the pace where I started to understand why it’s called still hunting. It was only a few more meters further down the track a medium-size buck, stood up out of its bed, unsure of who or what was in his bedroom. That’s because we were intentionally trying to move through the bush the way a deer might move through the bush, slowly, with a deer-like cadence, constantly scanning for anything resembling the tiniest part of a deer. As the buck began to trot away. BL sent out a bleat, quickly attracting the buck's attention. As though I was reading a book on how to still hunt whitetail deer, the buck slowly turned and began to circle downwind of us. I had a good view of everything, I was excited and signaled to BL that it was indeed a nice buck. With that, BL raised his rifle, and the moment the buck gave him an opening, bang! I think I accurately named that buck the Text Book Buck as everything happened as though it was out of a textbook written about still hunting.

The following day we headed out once more, as I mentioned before I did not have a Gen. WT tag and was hunting with supplemental tags. This second day of hunting was just as quick to get into the action as the day before. It hadn’t been more than a few hundred yards of still hunting and we had a buck walk past us, the buck was within thirty yards and unaware of our presence as it was moving quickly and grunting loudly. Again BL sent out a call and the buck quickly changed its attention in our direction and began closing the distance between us. Because we couldn’t shoot, we just watched the buck. The buck eventually figured out something was off and carried on his way.
With these two experiences, I would say I was hooked. A couple of nice bush bucks within forty yards of us with under a day and a half of hunting. Hearing a deer grunt for the first time. I was hooked.

Bushleague's buck

Now to get back home and chase a buck on my own.

I wasn’t going to have as much time as I expected to hunt wt in 2019, at the last second work needed me to move my “rutcation”. I decided I would take the first buck I managed to sneak up on.

The day I put it all together was November 25th I woke up to fresh snow on the ground. By the time first light came over the mountains I was already in place, ready to start still hunting in an area I had seen whitetail before and I area I saw a nice buck a couple of days prior but never managed a shot. The problem was since the last time I had visited this particular piece of land it had snowed quite a bit and had seen a bunch of human pressure. The deer seemed to have completely moved. I executed what felt like a perfect day of still hunting and could barely find any fresh sign, let alone seeing a buck. It was the middle of the afternoon and I was unsure of what my next move was, were the deer just hunkered down? After a quick snack and a chat with some sheep hunters, I went on my way, hoping to at least find some fresh sign that I could use as a starting point for the following day. I started to move quickly when I cut a couple of sets of fresh tracks. I knew by the freshness the deer couldn’t be far off. I had a heavy pack on and after setting it down and marking its location on GPS, I started down the track I decided was most fresh. It wasn’t a couple hundred more meters and I hear a snort, ****! I was scared I was going to run out of legal light and started moving too fast. Barely moving an inch I sneak out my deer call and let out a bleat. Through my binos I can see the feet of a deer start to turn, going from facing away to now broadside. I still can’t see antlers, there’s too much brush up high. As I patiently wait with the bucks brisket in my sights, it slowly turns to face me. I still can’t see the antlers even though the deer is within forty yards. So I lower my kneeling position into some sort of a kneeling squat to get as low as I can. The deer is doing that thing where they move their head, almost cat-like, as they try to figure out what you are. I can now see it’s a buck, not a mature buck and so I hesitate, my crosshairs sitting on the front of its chest. I remind myself the freezer is nearly empty and boom, I send a ttsx into the boiler room. The buck didn’t move an inch. Now I only had 4 km to get this deer into my truck.

With that, I was done chasing bucks for 2019. I still had a supplemental tag in my pocket and in an attempt to fill it had another cool encounter with a buck you can see in the video below. Truth be told I probably had a half dozen really neat encounters with bucks while still hunting during the 2019 season, all definitely inside of 50 yards and most not that I was there or what I was.

2019 buck

I had to drag the deer through 400 meters of this before getting to a better trail.

A fun video I got of a buck after my tag was filled, I spent the morning still hunting and finally just sat down against a fence post to relax and come up with a plan. I hadn't been sitting down 5 minutes.

https://youtu.be/uy6Y7kfYK7o

I was going to post that story at the end of the 2019 season but I guess I got busy. I typed it up once and lost it. It has been fun to type it again and think about that year.

2020 - I tried to take the lessons I learned into the 2020 season.

I’ll try to make this write-up much quicker. The goal for the 2020 WT season was to find my wife a nice buck, as well as help some friends get some bucks and find myself a mature deer. Because of Covid, I ended up moving my summer holidays to November, this meant I was going to have the time to try and tick all of these off.

Early November had me out hunting with my wife. I had located some nice bucks and wanted to do what I could to get her one. I find “guiding” family or friends to be one of the more challenging things to do hunting. You have to find opportunities that are fun, effective, and ethical for them. This might be shortening the shooting distance, finding a decent shooting rest, or just making sure they are ready to shoot through the ebbs and flows of a day afield.

After four days of hunting hard with my wife and a couple of opportunities, we were seeing less and less deer. One downside to still hunting in my opinion is that it is much easier to overhunt an area. Instead of sneaking your way into a stand and keeping your scent somewhat local all day, you are dragging it all around the bush. The deer become more alert and become better at using the terrain to avoid you. In my experience, they don’t leave, but they get better at becoming unseen. So after a few days and my wife passing at a shot on a nice buck at 60 yards, she didn’t feel good about the shot, it was time to give the area some rest. My wife went back to work and I took a buddy out who had successfully harvested does before but was looking to hold out for a buck this season.

I wanted to show him what still hunting was all about. It was a windy day, a bit too windy for my liking but it was going to disguise our movement. After a morning of slowly working our way through the bush I was starting to get frustrated and feel the pressure, I guess the pressure is always a bit higher when hunting with someone else and hoping to help them. The wind was what was frustrating me, it seemed like we would come up with a plan, still hunt through a segment of the bush, only to find the wind was changing or swirling. It was around then my friend suggested that the wind was somewhat consistent when we were near the edges of the bush. With that, we kept the edge of the bush insight and crept our way up a ridge that I knew consistently held deer. As I was working my way up the ridge I caught movement forty or so yards ahead. A quick peek through my binos revealed a young buck grazing his way up the hill. I was already tucked behind a tree and looked behind for my friend, I couldn’t see him and had no idea where he was. So I used the time to shift my position so that if he came up behind me I wouldn’t be in the way of any shot opportunity. At this point, I was lying on the ground when I finally saw my friend pop up behind me. I signaled there was a buck and it was 40 yards away, with that my friend kneeled to get lower. Even though the buck was close, my buddy just couldn’t see it in the thick blowdown. I couldn’t blame him, I had been watching the young buck for a couple of minutes and was continually losing its position even though it had hardly moved while grazing up the hillside. With my friend still unable to see the deer I was getting worried the wind was going to finally swirl and we could lose our chance. So I signaled to my friend to try standing up, he caught a quick glimpse of antlers and front shoulder, took the opportunity and fired a shot. It was thick but he managed to thread one through the branches and the buck took off. The shot was a bit far back and hit the liver, the buck maybe ran 40 yards and expired. For me it was an exciting moment, I had now been able to pass on some knowledge about the art of still hunting.

Buddy's deer.

We took this picture to give an idea of the bush where it was shot.

At this point, I still had some time off work and my wife was still busy working so I headed to a new area, this allowed me to give the spot my wife enjoys hunting some extra rest. I was very lucky to wake up on November 23rd to fresh snow. A little more wind and it would have been what Hal Blood refers to as a “deer killing day” I didn’t know the area so the fresh snow was extra important. I walked a double-track until I picked up a large fresh track, I followed it into the trees and slowed everything right down. The last thing I wanted to hear at first light on a day like I had been given was a silence-piercing snort. I crept through the bush, more mindful than ever of my foot placement and balance. I would stop on one foot and my hand on a tree if I felt a deer would have paused right there. As I followed the track I also intercepted other tracks, however, I believe I managed to stay on the track I was following. The track was starting to wander and I knew there was a good chance it could be nearby. As they often do a buck materialized right in front of me. He was staring in my direction, roughly 20 yards away. He was clueless as to what I was and started to turn broadside to get a better look. I was sure to keep my eyes down but for some reason decided to take a better look with my binos. I slowly decided to raise my rifle and sneak some copper between some branches, the buck never made it 10 yards.

This buck was the second deer I was able to successfully still hunt during the 2020 season, the first was a doe in a group of does that never knew I was there. I was close enough that I could only see her shoulder in my scope.

My deer

My shot - you can see the green circle

My doe - closest deer I have ever shot. T3 300wsm.

My travelling set up. It gets cold!

So now I was back at my favorite goal for the season, finding my wife a buck that was larger than her first deer. We were again blessed with fresh snowfall, but instead of ending overnight, the snow was still falling when we hiked into the hills. We headed for an area to wait in ambush over some scrapes from earlier in the year. By 10 am we were getting cold and the snow was starting to stop. I suggested to my wife we come up with a plan as I think the deer are going to start moving very soon. When I am with less experienced hunters I like to have them make some of the decisions. We decided to gain more elevation to where I knew the deer had a travel corridor which was also very close to a doe bedding area. Once we had gained the elevation I told my wife we could still hunt heading into the wind or pick a nice spot to sit, get out some snacks and tea and see how long we can sit now that we are a bit warmer. She chose snacks, and I can’t blame her, she was pregnant and I dragged her all over the bloody hills that fall. We were only a few bites into our banana bread and I was still pouring tea when my wife shouted deer! That’s right a bit too loudly she proclaimed DEER! The deer's head was down but I knew the way it was moving that it was a buck with its nose to the ground. I whispered that I would stop it in an opening and shoot when she was ready. I decided to use a call instead of shouting as I wasn’t the shooter and it might stop the deer more softly. It worked perfectly, the deer looked our way, surprised there was anything there at all, in his curiosity moving closer and offering a 25-yard quartering to shot. He never went farther than 20 yards. The 100gr ttsx again served up textbook performance. My wife chose to field dress the deer while I backtracked his tracks back to his bed, I would be marking that location down for the future. Now an easy 2 km drag out on fresh snow and we could rest, our 2020 season was complete.

My wife admires her deer.

My wife hiking out with a couple of rifles strapped to her backpack as I help a friend drag out a buck a couple of kilometers to the truck. My friend had decided to wait in ambush at a location I told him about while I still hunted the area.

The reason I wanted to share this story was because of the full circle experience from being taught about and experiencing still hunting to being able to pass that knowledge and experience on. It might also give some hunters motivation to try something new this winter.

Still Hunting is my preferred method of hunting and I will use it even when the conditions aren’t favorable. I believe that trying to track or still hunt when the conditions aren’t great is good for getting better, but also for discovering fresh sign. That’s not to say I won’t sit in ambush, usually, however, the areas I may decide to sit are spots I have discovered while out still hunting.

Everyone will have the rules they try to follow when they are hunting a certain style. I do my best to keep the wind in my face, it’s not always possible when still hunting or tracking but when I can I try to keep my scent behind me. I am constantly glassing with my binoculars, for two reasons. One it forces me to slow down and allows me to look and listen. Secondly, you can focus so much deeper into the bush than your eyes would normally allow. Lastly, I try to wear clothing geared towards being quiet, most of the stuff marketed towards whitetail hunting works perfectly. I also wear some form of a rubber boot, they kind of suck for hiking all over the hills, but when you have to follow a track across some bog or creek they pay off.

In the end, it’s all about what floats your boat and trying something new. I have rattled deer in but never rattled and then killed a deer. I would like to do that someday. I would also like to get one from up high in a tree with my bow.

I have a 6-month-old this year so time is going to be a lot tighter, but if I can get a day with a bit of fresh snow and a breeze you better believe I'm going to do everything I can to get out there.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:56 PM

That’s a great read. Looking forward to putting your tips to the test.

Bushleague sounds like a stand-up guy. Thanks for sharing your expertise.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:39 PM

Good hiding! I didn’t even know you were on the forum, lol.

Good stuff, man! And good on you to learn from the master, haha. While all kinds of hunting is fun (well, I found out for myself, I can’t do tree stands for any period of time longer than a few minutes), still hunting deer is where it’s at in my books. I didn’t realize you have been doing it only for a few years. I guess, that’s where learning from the master comes in, lol. Seriously though, good stuff, man!

Also, it sounds like great spots you have there. That video is quite epic! One of the better ones I have seen. Best thing when they get that close and then notice you and don’t know how to react.

Good post and trying to pass it on. You should post more often, lol.

Congratulations on the kid, once again!

You should write about the other hunting adventures you had with BL the past couple of years
Old 10-22-2021, 06:21 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Best thing is that you are out there enjoying yourself, others and the hunt!

Ohhh and that truck set up reminds me of my 1984 Toyota pickup with a cap on it....cozy sleeps for sure....I was 20 and didn’t mind it at all

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-22-2021, 06:44 AM

I appreciate the info shared and the stories told. It highlights your point nicely. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2021, 07:53 AM

Awesome write-up! Learned a thing or two, thanks for posting!
Old 10-22-2021, 09:01 AM

Thanks for the very enjoyable read.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:52 AM

It was really fun and informative reading your hunting story. The video was super cool too.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 10-22-2021, 10:02 AM

Nice stories, great post...Thank you for sharing.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:13 AM

Agreed on a great write up. And thanks for sharing.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:43 PM

Thanks guys. I look forward to hopefully posting a story this fall. I know I wouldn't mind being out there right now with the forest floor damp from the rain last night.
Old 10-23-2021, 02:03 PM

Such cool adventures! Again it felt like I was right along side of you all there. Thank you so much for taking the time to post your adventures and pics! Such amazing and helpful tips. Good luck to you this year ;o)
Old 10-23-2021, 04:29 PM

Still hunting and spot & stalk is how I started hunting. I still enjoy hunting this way under the right conditions and I prefer it for some species. Learned a lot covering ground still hunting. My methods are a little different still hunting because growing up in BC I hunted different times of year and the coast where I rarely had snow

Good luck this season hope to see your success story
Old 10-23-2021, 05:13 PM

Great read. Picking the terrain and conditions for successful still hunting is a very nuanced skill.
Old 10-24-2021, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post
Thanks guys. I look forward to hopefully posting a story this fall. I know I wouldn't mind being out there right now with the forest floor damp from the rain last night.
You got any more pics of that deer you killed last year? Looks like a 5x4 with some pretty long G 1/2's, hard to get a sense of the mass and spread from that picture though. Anyhow, thats a nice timber buck, and a definite milestone for sure!

And yeah, I dont know that I ever point it out, but for still hunting you definitely need to have at least a handful of different areas you can cycle through. Sounds like you've figured that out though.

If I ever hunt an area two days in a row its because I've found a real nice buck and I am basically betting the farm on getting him on that second day... hunting it a third day is almost certainly a waste of time, and I'll probably leave the area alone for a couple weeks afterwards.
Old 10-25-2021, 08:31 AM
Banned

Default Giving it a try

What a great Post, story, photos, and excellent advice Prairiekid!

You have got me excited to try the still method this year and you explained it so well, looking forward to giving it a try! The hardest thing I find while I have attempted still hunting in the past is slowing down to a crawl, but obviously, it pays off big time.

Great video you took, nice buck that was oblivious to your presence. Do you descent your clothing every time you attempt a still hunt?

Looking forwad to seeing your 2021 stories

Last edited by North40Rules; 10-25-2021 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Listed the posters name incorrectly Sorry!
Old 10-25-2021, 10:11 AM

What a great story and pics. It's so great to see your journey of being mentored to mentoring, and now sharing with the group. That's what this site is all about!
Old 10-26-2021, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North40Rules View Post
What a great Post, story, photos, and excellent advice Prairiekid!

Great video you took, nice buck that was oblivious to your presence. Do you descent your clothing every time you attempt a still hunt?

Looking forwad to seeing your 2021 stories
North40Rules; I don't wash my clothing every time. I used to try it, but when you are hunting daily it becomes too much. As so many on this forum will say keep the wind in your face.

I do hang my stuff outside when I can, just be sure to not hang it somewhere that it is going to smell like exhaust or near a neighbors dryer vent. My hunting clothing is dedicated to hunting in that I don't really wear it for anything else including my boots. My base layers are dedicated to hunting for the season and then I just put them back in the rotation of winter clothing once the season is done.

I'm not saying all that is necessary either, in that video where the buck is within ten yards of me, I wasn't sure if he could smell the buck I butchered two days prior in those coveralls. I wasn't even wearing 'hunting' clothing at the time, just some tough duck insulated coveralls that had a decent amount of blood on them.

If you find you are spooking deer then focus on keeping your eyes up. You should be moving slow enough that you can pick your footing and seeing what's around you. I can be a bit of a daydreamer in that I can start to think about something far off and I have to remind myself to stay in the game.
Old 10-26-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
You got any more pics of that deer you killed last year? Looks like a 5x4 with some pretty long G 1/2's, hard to get a sense of the mass and spread from that picture though. Anyhow, thats a nice timber buck, and a definite milestone for sure!

And yeah, I dont know that I ever point it out, but for still hunting you definitely need to have at least a handful of different areas you can cycle through. Sounds like you've figured that out though.

If I ever hunt an area two days in a row its because I've found a real nice buck and I am basically betting the farm on getting him on that second day... hunting it a third day is almost certainly a waste of time, and I'll probably leave the area alone for a couple weeks afterwards.
My buck doesn't have the mass of the bucks that you or Emery were able to pull out of the bush last year. I rough scored it at 140", as you know I am of the opinion that I don't really care about inches. I like when something is unique or the experience is super cool. If a small buck gets me worked up he might just end up on my wall.

My dilemma right now is I can get out for a day or a couple of half-days later this week. The weather looks good but I would need to take my bow. But I can also get out November 1 and maybe a half-day later that week, but with a rifle. I can't decide whether or not to go into my favorite spot with my bow and still hunt and look for fresh sign or leave it untouched and hope no one else goes in before Nov 1. Maybe I will scout for something new.