Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-22-2021, 07:50 AM

Default Lithium batteries

Just curious on where some of you might be picking up lithium batteries. I only have one so far of the typical size that - 7ah - for fish finders, flashers, etc. Looking to an 18 ah and even larger size for other applications. I did order an 18 ah from Amazon.ca. All seemed good until it was cancelled and refunded yesterday. I haven't tried local shops like Fishin Hole yet but glad to get off my butt and do that. Just looking for other options...they may actually have lithium...in these crazy "but em all up" Covid times. Thanks.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:05 AM

ablithium.ca seems to have some good prices. I wanted to order a 12V 100ah battery from them, but didn't want to wait until May to get it. I wound up getting a Valiant at Battery World. Time will tell how it performs. The specs are almost the same. I'm a big believer that all the brands are essentially the same quality wise. I was told the "good" ones have many more duty cycles in them. But even the "bad" ones should last years, so why spend triple ?
Old 04-22-2021, 08:09 AM

Battery World
Old 04-22-2021, 08:25 AM

I bought 2 Enerwatt 110 ah batteries for my trolling motor this winter at I&M Electric online and I believe Solacity now has them as well. I hope they perform well, they will certainly be easier on the back and arms to install than the heavy lead acids I have been using.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:38 AM

I was at Cabela's south last week and they had the Dakota Lithium 7ah, 10ah, 18ah and 23ah in stock. They were in that glass cabinet at the end of the fishing reel display.

I have a 10ah and a 23 ah for my fish finder and am happy with them. The 10ah will run my helix 5 for 26 hrs straight. They sure are spendy though.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:56 AM

Could try Prairie Grass Outdoors out of Strathmore. I picked up a 18ah AMPED lithium for my helix 7 for ice fishing. Actually makes it usable, will get like 24 hours out of it.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:56 PM

Got a 24v80ah for a terrova and a 12v40ah for livescope, ordered off amazon end of march, just arrived from wuhan, just waiting for open water to test em out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2021, 02:54 PM

Nice replies all! That gives me some great options. Now to get off my butt and make it happen. Thanks.
Old 04-22-2021, 03:19 PM

if someone in Calgary has a capacity tester, it would be interesting to see what these things actually put out
Old 04-22-2021, 08:07 PM

I just received my 50ah Lithium today, from Canbat.com. Only 2 days from phone order to delivery to my door! It'll run my MinnKota TRAXXIS 40, pushing around a 10', plastic Bass Raider. I also pre-purchased an 18 ah Lithium from them, to run my fish-finder, and act as an emergency back-up - if the 50 ah runs out of juice on the way back to the launch. The 18 ah should come in early June. I wasn't confident that my existing charger would work too well with the lithiums, so I also picked up a NOCO 10 charger at Canadian Tire. It's got a specific mode setting for lithiums.
I found Canbat very good to deal with. I have poor hearing, so I appreciate using their on-line 'chat' option, to deal with a knowledgable person. Prices were better than the famous Dakota brand, but more that the 'recycled' lithium retailers.
It's expensive - switching over to Lithiums, but I'm tired of lugging around the weight of old lead-acid, and their limited run time to keep from discharging them too far.
Old 04-23-2021, 06:36 AM

I have a 4 bank charger bolted into my boat that I use for the 4 wet cell batteries. Can that charger be used for the lithium batteries?
Old 04-23-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
I have a 4 bank charger bolted into my boat that I use for the 4 wet cell batteries. Can that charger be used for the lithium batteries?
It depends on the charger. It will charge them but likely not completely, leading to premature failure over time. If you want to know for sure, you'll have to contact the battery and charger manufacturers and hope you get someone who knows what they are talking about.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:07 PM

CanBat gets my vote

https://www.canbat.com/product-categ...ttery-lifepo4/

Canadian Company, free shipping Canada wide, and excellent prices. Quality product and finishing.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:26 PM

Definitely has my attention as my interstate 31s are coming up to year 5 this summer.

Still test fine so I will likely give it the season and check back for reviews once you guys have done the testing on these

I run 4 big batteries on the Lund and two on the jetboat. That a ton of coin for lithiums without a ton of real world experience yet to learn from.

Time will tell.
Old 04-23-2021, 02:38 PM

if a guy doesn't want LiOn, where's the best place to get a traditional battery for my boat? Canadian Tire as good a spot as any....?
Old 04-23-2021, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
if a guy doesn't want LiOn, where's the best place to get a traditional battery for my boat? Canadian Tire as good a spot as any....?
Costco hands down...
Old 04-23-2021, 04:32 PM

I wondered about that. Beauty...will hopefully pop in this weekend and grab a couple. Do they usually have 'em in stock, or is it something you order online?
Old 04-23-2021, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
I wondered about that. Beauty...will hopefully pop in this weekend and grab a couple. Do they usually have 'em in stock, or is it something you order online?
Here's the link to the marine batteries that Costco carries.

https://a.sellpoint.net//w/spworld/p...ery%20Selector

I just bought 2 of the Kirkland 27DC models, here are the specs:

Seasonally available in warehouse only

Warranty: 12 month free replacement period, 36 months prorated

Battery Specifications:

Cold Cranking Amps – 675
Cranking Amps – 845
Reserve Capacity – 180
Amp Hours – 120
Voltage – 12V

And you get a $10 core exchange when you bring your old batteries back for re-cycling!!

You purchase them in store, was at the Buffalo Run location today and they still had some in the rack, and they're fresh too, 04/21 stamped.
Old 04-24-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegermiester View Post
Here's the link to the marine batteries that Costco carries.

https://a.sellpoint.net//w/spworld/p...ery%20Selector

I just bought 2 of the Kirkland 27DC models, here are the specs:

Seasonally available in warehouse only

Warranty: 12 month free replacement period, 36 months prorated

Battery Specifications:

Cold Cranking Amps – 675
Cranking Amps – 845
Reserve Capacity – 180
Amp Hours – 120
Voltage – 12V

And you get a $10 core exchange when you bring your old batteries back for re-cycling!!

You purchase them in store, was at the Buffalo Run location today and they still had some in the rack, and they're fresh too, 04/21 stamped.
Thank you very much for your help!! Going into Red Deer to get my vaxx shot today (woooo hoooo!!) and will stop at Costco to grab a couple. Hopefully they're in stock!!
Old 06-22-2021, 01:31 PM

Picked up a 180watt capacity tester off ali express for $40, was curious to see how the amazon lithium 40ah turned out, pulled 38.4 ah before bms kicked out, seems decent, 96%, dont have anything to compare too

Will also use this to draw them down for storage during off season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2021, 06:09 PM

Call Vancouver battery.ca they might have what you need.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
Definitely has my attention as my interstate 31s are coming up to year 5 this summer.

Still test fine so I will likely give it the season and check back for reviews once you guys have done the testing on these

I run 4 big batteries on the Lund and two on the jetboat. That a ton of coin for lithiums without a ton of real world experience yet to learn from.

Time will tell.
I have the same batteries in my Lund and the boat is a 2013 and my deep cycle trolling batteries seems to be holding up still which is a great thing considering we are 8+ years now .... I think having a conditioning pro charger plugged in all winter and when I'm not using it has helped these last .....

so here is our shared dilemma ....

To replace the the group 31's (which are 13" long) and 100 ahH - for three (36v system) they are roughly $1000 (interstate lead acid)

The Lithium prices, for 3 batteries, also group 31 in size (13" long to fit in the front of the boat) - they are also 100 ahH each - so no gain in amount of juice

HOWEVER

They are $3600 for three Lithium's instead of $1000 for top qiality lead acids - basically 3.5 times the price .......

So I ask myself, I have 8 years on these and they are still good. Will the LION batteries last me 30 years? because that's the break even point here ...
Old 06-22-2021, 10:11 PM

I have 2 deep cycles from 2011 and 1 from 2012 bought from Costco. Just spent a few days out a Maligne and these batteries are unbelievably still going strong. I usually make it out to Maligne twice a year and 2 of the batteries go back into my big boat to run my iPilot Terrova so they are being used regularly for 6 months. I charge them immediately after use, store them inside in the winter, and throw them on the charger every 3 months during the winter using a standard Stanley battery charger.

They are about $140 new today at the sco. Not sure Lead Acid’s or Lithium’s are worth the $$$.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I have the same batteries in my Lund and the boat is a 2013 and my deep cycle trolling batteries seems to be holding up still which is a great thing considering we are 8+ years now .... I think having a conditioning pro charger plugged in all winter and when I'm not using it has helped these last .....

so here is our shared dilemma ....

To replace the the group 31's (which are 13" long) and 100 ahH - for three (36v system) they are roughly $1000 (interstate lead acid)

The Lithium prices, for 3 batteries, also group 31 in size (13" long to fit in the front of the boat) - they are also 100 ahH each - so no gain in amount of juice

HOWEVER

They are $3600 for three Lithium's instead of $1000 for top qiality lead acids - basically 3.5 times the price .......

So I ask myself, I have 8 years on these and they are still good. Will the LION batteries last me 30 years? because that's the break even point here ...
you can get a 36V 100AH lithium for $1500, you don't need 3 of them, and it would weigh about 30/40lbs vs 200lbs +

My ipilot terrova lasts me 3 days fishing in Southern AB wind with the 24v 80ah.

for example
https://www.amazon.ca/FLYPOWER-carav...72&sr=8-4&th=1
Old 06-23-2021, 08:54 AM

There is a big difference between lead acids and lithium. A 100 ah lead acid has +- 50ah of useable power while the same lithium battery has +- 95 ah. You are actually getting almost twice the useable power for the same rating. I know that my 24v system is dramatically more powerful with the lithiums but it is pretty early for me to draw long term conclusions.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:52 AM

They might have a higher peak/continuous output rating than SLA batteries, but then does the time between charges decrease? It seems to me a 95Ah lithium and a 95Ah SLA battery should each have approximately the same capacity. But then I haven't researched batteries in a bit.

I don't really see a point to lithiums rather than weight savings, especially when Costco batteries perform so well, are so cheap, and essentially give you free replacements for life once you buy your first one. Yes I use lithiums exclusively for ice fishing where weight is an issue. I also have a 100Ah Lithium under my seat on my Lund SSV-16 to save weight at the back (24lbs vs 56lbs for SLA as I recall - the batteries in my 36v bank in my Warrior are 76lbs each). But I run a SLA 36v bank up in the bow of the same boat because I actually wanted more weight up front. So to me lithium batteries are nothing more than an expensive way to manage the weight/weight distribution in your boat. Buy Costco batteries and be done with it forever I say.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
They might have a higher peak/continuous output rating than SLA batteries, but then does the time between charges decrease? It seems to me a 95Ah lithium and a 95Ah SLA battery should each have approximately the same capacity. But then I haven't researched batteries in a bit.

I don't really see a point to lithiums rather than weight savings, especially when Costco batteries perform so well, are so cheap, and essentially give you free replacements for life once you buy your first one. Yes I use lithiums exclusively for ice fishing where weight is an issue. I also have a 100Ah Lithium under my seat on my Lund SSV-16 to save weight at the back (24lbs vs 56lbs for SLA as I recall - the batteries in my 36v bank in my Warrior are 76lbs each). But I run a SLA 36v bank up in the bow of the same boat because I actually wanted more weight up front. So to me lithium batteries are nothing more than an expensive way to manage the weight/weight distribution in your boat. Buy Costco batteries and be done with it forever I say.
95ah SLA battery is 50% usable capacity until voltage is to low to use, most electronics won't function properly once voltage starts dropping.

Lithium is 95% +, so a 40ah lithium would produce same capacity as 95ah SLA, since voltage remains the same for the entire capacity

I purchased a 40ah 12v lithium for $299, compared to a 95ah SLA ($200?), was easy decision
Old 06-23-2021, 10:59 AM

Most Lithium batteries come from China trying to avoid buying from there wherever possible.
Major downside to Lithium is battery is temperature it has to be above zero C to re charge without damage.
So no leaving in outside here with a battery tender over winter.

There is some hope with manufacture of Sodium Ion for large electrical storage use {Home Solar power storage} almost as efficient as Lithium and recharge fine as long as temperatures are above -20 C

Only downside is they are not meant for portable use so not for E Cars and electronics but hopefully it will reduce overall lithium usage enough to decrease cost on Lithium batteries

Costco is definitely best purchase place for LA batteries
Old 06-23-2021, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein View Post
you can get a 36V 100AH lithium for $1500, you don't need 3 of them, and it would weigh about 30/40lbs vs 200lbs +

My ipilot terrova lasts me 3 days fishing in Southern AB wind with the 24v 80ah.

for example
https://www.amazon.ca/FLYPOWER-carav...72&sr=8-4&th=1
Sorry - should have been more clear - I run 3 group 31 batteries - and it's 100AH for EACH of my 3 group 31 Lead Acid InterState = 300 AH

It would cost me roughly $1000 to replace all three batteries to give me 300AH in Lead Acid

So to get 300 AH out of Lithium - It's 3 Lithium Batteries isn't it? That's $4500 ...

That's what I was saying ... AH is what determines how much juice you have.

In my case the weight (of the heavier lead acids) I have in the front of the boat is a benefit to me not a concern - and because I run an on board charger, and store it in the garage all winter, those batteries never need to be wrestled in our out of the bow - they never need to move ....

Looking the ad you posted - the Lithium battery is WAY LARGER (almost 6 inches longer) compared to standard group 31's - so they wouldn't even fit in the boat .............

Bottom line is simple for me - until the prices come down - and the size of the battery comes down - they are no benefit to me .. at least not as a primary "stay in place" battery mounted "permanently" in my boat.

The beauty of LION batteries is weight - so in an application where you are lugging batteries in and out - maybe the value is there ...but not as permanent stay in place battery.

Last edited by EZM; 06-23-2021 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-23-2021, 11:44 AM

pretty sure three 12v 100ah battery doesnt give you 36v 300ah

its still 36v 100ah or 12v 300ah, depending how you wire it i guess

edit*
https://www.se.com/pt/en/faqs/FA229757/

Battery bank assembly; amp hour calculation
Published date: 15 April 2020

Issue:
This article is designed to give basic information on how to connect batteries together in a bank and then to calculate the amp hour capacity of the bank.

Product Line:
All devices requiring battery banks

Environment:
All units with external battery banks

Resolution:
1. two batteries can be connected in either "series" or in "parallel".
1a. "series" is when we connect the battery poles in a positive to negative orientation.
1a. when in series we add the voltage and average the amps
1b. "parallel" is when we connect the battery poles in a positive to positive and negative to negative orientation.
1b. when in parallel we add the amperage and average the volts

eg. when taking two 6 volt, 100 amp hour batteries in series, it becomes 100 amps at 12 volts. When in parallel, it becomes 200 amps at 6 volts.

Last edited by stein; 06-23-2021 at 11:50 AM.