Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-27-2021, 10:25 AM

Default Kimber Montana Rebarrel options - what would you do?

Looking to rebarrel my Kimber Montana 84M (short action). I would like to have a barrel 20”-22”. Probably in a #2 or #3 contour barrel, a little more “beef” than the current barrel.

I’m considering the following cartridges - 6.5 Creedmoor, 260, 7mm-08 and 308.
This will be my lightweight hunting rifle for Deer & Elk out to 300-400 yards max.

Ballistically speaking all cartridges will work, BUT are there any other considerations that may influence my decision, like - accuracy, ease of re-loading, cartridge efficiency, available powders/bullets, cost of components. For example Lapua makes 6.5 Creedmoor Brass with small primer pocket. Does that “really” make a difference in a hunting rifle - is that only worth choosing a Creedmoor?

What cartridge would you choose and why? What barrel length and contour would you choose for it?

Thanks
Old 01-27-2021, 10:40 AM
Banned

You could probably keep the same profile but you will get better results with a quality aftermarket barrel

Small pocket primer creedmoor brass is supposed to give more consistent velocity
Old 01-27-2021, 10:48 AM

Challenge with changing the profile is that now you need to open up the barrel channel which can obviously be done, but you sure don't wanna bubba it up as it will be hard to sell.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:00 AM

I believe Kimbers have been using Bergara barrels for a few years now. Nothing wrong with their barrels, not sure if you could find one of those or not.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post
Looking to rebarrel my Kimber Montana 84M (short action). I would like to have a barrel 20”-22”. Probably in a #2 or #3 contour barrel, a little more “beef” than the current barrel.

I’m considering the following cartridges - 6.5 Creedmoor, 260, 7mm-08 and 308.
This will be my lightweight hunting rifle for Deer & Elk out to 300-400 yards max.

Ballistically speaking all cartridges will work, BUT are there any other considerations that may influence my decision, like - accuracy, ease of re-loading, cartridge efficiency, available powders/bullets, cost of components. For example Lapua makes 6.5 Creedmoor Brass with small primer pocket. Does that “really” make a difference in a hunting rifle - is that only worth choosing a Creedmoor?

What cartridge would you choose and why? What barrel length and contour would you choose for it?

Thanks
If you are going to use it as a hunting rifle in 6.5CM,, I would stick with a larger rifle primer, we have seen some issues in cooler weather with certain SRP's cratering in our match rifles. I haven't had any issues with the Hornady brass I have loaded in my 6.5 Creedmoor however.
Also, for a hunting rifle, I would go with the 260 just for the added powder capacity.
However, the 708 and 308 will both do well, soo it is strictly a personal preference of the owner IMO, one can debate all the SD, BC, velocity and everything else they was because in the end ballistically these cartridges are all very close together and will all kill well, it comes down to personal BS!
Pick one, and have fun!
Cat
Old 01-27-2021, 11:40 AM

As far as cartridge... 7-08 or 308 is the exact same for me.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:54 AM

Some good points here. A #2 barrel shouldn't require much barrel channel opening. The 'smith that spins it on for you will have no problem doing that.
It is a commonly done improvement on the Kimbers.
Regarding cartridge, I'd go with the 7mm-08 or 308 Win.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:00 PM

Regarding going to a standard larger contour barrel like some random #2 or whatever and cutting on the factory stock, DON'T!!! Benchmark, Lilja and others have what they call a modified 84M contour. It follows the contour of the factory barrel until after it exits the foreend tip, and THEN the taper slows to a 0.60" or so muzzle instead of the factory's 0.55". That gives you an extra couple ounces out front, but doesn't require any modifications to the stock. I have a quick twist 243AI on an 84M Montana set up this way.

I would call Bighorn Sales in Houston, BC and order a Benchmark. They are great barrels. I have had several, and see a bunch annually on the competition silhouette line. They have all been extremely accurate, don't foul and are long wearing.

Regarding which cartridge? The 84M is a great action, but the 2.81" mag box sucks for modern bullets on the 308 case. Modern bullets are getting longer and pointier, which means longer from the ogive to the tip. So if you want to use a long pointy VLD type bullet, by the time you fit it in a case to fit the mag box, be sure the ogive is not below the case mouth (shorter case more better). And the larger the diameter, the progressively longer VLD bullets are getting.

I would sweat over which bullets you want to use, and with your gunsmiths reamer which cartridge / bullet combo lets you seat to get out to the throat yet still fit the mag box. You may not seat that long, but believe me when you have to seat to fit the mag box and your bullet has to jump a tenth or more to reach the lands it's not a path to happiness. Your rifle may shoot fine set up that way, but the smart move is to design so you can seat off the throat or out to it, and you won't know which your rifle prefers with any particular bullet until it tells you.

Honestly, of those I would go Creedmoor as the case is a tenth inch shorter than the 308 based rounds, which gives you more room in front of the case mouth for bullet.

I would go large primer brass if you will hunt cold temps as stated above. And I would cut to balance how you like. If you go 0.6" muzzle a 20" barrel will be more neutral than a longer barrel which will give a slightly more muzzle heavy feel (my preference). What do YOU prefer?

Personally, I would order an 8 twist Benchmark in their "mod84" contour with a 22" finish length.

If you want, PM me your cell number and I can text you some pics of the standard vs "mod84" contour.

Last edited by RickF; 01-27-2021 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:27 PM
Banned

man, that's a post to answer a post! that's what i'd be doing for sure
Old 01-27-2021, 01:50 PM

damn good post, I'll second the benchmarks and Garry at Bighorn, top notch.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:18 PM

Give some thought to a 338 federal or 358 win out to 300m both work great...past that not so much
Old 01-27-2021, 02:45 PM

Damn good post is right. I would just use a 120 TTSX in 7-08 or a 130 TTSX in 308. Length is no worry at all, and a Montana is a pure hunting rifle if there ever was one. Great info on the 84M contour barrel. That would be a sweet rig. Good luck.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
man, that's a post to answer a post! that's what i'd be doing for sure
Oh look who showed up to repeat what everyone else has already said

Expert
Old 01-27-2021, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickF View Post
Regarding going to a standard larger contour barrel like some random #2 or whatever and cutting on the factory stock, DON'T!!! Benchmark, Lilja and others have what they call a modified 84M contour. It follows the contour of the factory barrel until after it exits the foreend tip, and THEN the taper slows to a 0.60" or so muzzle instead of the factory's 0.55". That gives you an extra couple ounces out front, but doesn't require any modifications to the stock. I have a quick twist 243AI on an 84M Montana set up this way.

I would call Bighorn Sales in Houston, BC and order a Benchmark. They are great barrels. I have had several, and see a bunch annually on the competition silhouette line. They have all been extremely accurate, don't foul and are long wearing.

Regarding which cartridge? The 84M is a great action, but the 2.81" mag box sucks for modern bullets on the 308 case. Modern bullets are getting longer and pointier, which means longer from the ogive to the tip. So if you want to use a long pointy VLD type bullet, by the time you fit it in a case to fit the mag box, be sure the ogive is not below the case mouth (shorter case more better). And the larger the diameter, the progressively longer VLD bullets are getting.

I would sweat over which bullets you want to use, and with your gunsmiths reamer which cartridge / bullet combo lets you seat to get out to the throat yet still fit the mag box. You may not seat that long, but believe me when you have to seat to fit the mag box and your bullet has to jump a tenth or more to reach the lands it's not a path to happiness. Your rifle may shoot fine set up that way, but the smart move is to design so you can seat off the throat or out to it, and you won't know which your rifle prefers with any particular bullet until it tells you.

Honestly, of those I would go Creedmoor as the case is a tenth inch shorter than the 308 based rounds, which gives you more room in front of the case mouth for bullet.

I would go large primer brass if you will hunt cold temps as stated above. And I would cut to balance how you like. If you go 0.6" muzzle a 20" barrel will be more neutral than a longer barrel which will give a slightly more muzzle heavy feel (my preference). What do YOU prefer?

Personally, I would order an 8 twist Benchmark in their "mod84" contour with a 22" finish length.

If you want, PM me your cell number and I can text you some pics of the standard vs "mod84" contour.
Great info- thanks

I spoke with Gary Flach and Gary from Bighorn earlier this week about this project. Benchmark Barrel is the plan, but wasn't aware of the "mod 84" contour. It sounds perfect for what I want.
I will want a little muzzle heavy but not too much, this one of the things Gary from BH and I spoke about. We were trying to figuring out the right length, contour to flute or not for it to balance properly.

Mag length and seating depth shouldn't be an issue. I am hoping to run Barnes or Partitions not Bergers or similar.

Rick - PM sent.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:59 PM
Banned

Gary’s great
Really knows what he’s talking about
Old 01-27-2021, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
Give some thought to a 338 federal or 358 win out to 300m both work great...past that not so much
I have a 338-06 or the 338 fed would be a consideration.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
I believe Kimbers have been using Bergara barrels for a few years now. Nothing wrong with their barrels, not sure if you could find one of those or not.
The only thing I have ever read about this was a thread on 24 hr campfire over a year ago where someone said that two gun store clerks told them they are using Bergara barrels.

Who / where did you hear this? I am sure a number of us would be interested. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:19 PM
Banned

338 federal would be a cool cartridge for 300-400 yards
Old 01-27-2021, 06:46 PM

Damn you all! Now you've got me wanting another Montana.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
The only thing I have ever read about this was a thread on 24 hr campfire over a year ago where someone said that two gun store clerks told them they are using Bergara barrels.

Who / where did you hear this? I am sure a number of us would be interested. Thanks.
I was told they use Wilson barrels.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
I was told they use Wilson barrels.
This has got me interested. I wonder if Korth would give a guy a straight answer. I just love Kimbers.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:31 PM

Be careful taking advice from RickF. That guy will cost you money. Grin.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-27-2021, 07:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Oh look who showed up to repeat what everyone else has already said

Expert
i was complimenting RickF's post or couldn't you tell?, he certainly didn't say what 'everyone else' already said...he ended the conversation with about the most complete response possible, more posts like that please

not sure what's up with you?...when's your next big world adventure? you need to get out there i think, chill
Old 02-21-2021, 06:00 PM

Default It's Ordered!!

After a few discussions with some people and especially RickF, the barrel is ordered for my Kimber Montana! Thank you RickF!

I decided to go with a 7mm (.284) Benchmark Barrel, 9 twist in 5R, no fluting. It can be finished anywhere from 20-23". Gary for Big Horn said this is a great barrel.

I went with the "Mod 84 Barrel Contour" which basically reduces the the taper from the end of the stock to the muzzle. Giving it a little more "meat" at the muzzle.

I know Kimber's have good trigger but I decided to order the Trigger Tech Trigger for the Kimber 84 also. I have on on my 25-06 and love it.

I think It will be a 7mm-08 or 7mm-08AI or 284 depending on much work would need to be done. Will need to discuss with the Gunsmith. I have some time to decide as the barrel is a 12 wk special order.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post
After a few discussions with some people and especially RickF, the barrel is ordered for my Kimber Montana! Thank you RickF!

I decided to go with a 7mm (.284) Benchmark Barrel, 9 twist in 5R, no fluting. It can be finished anywhere from 20-23". Gary for Big Horn said this is a great barrel.

I went with the "Mod 84 Barrel Contour" which basically reduces the the taper from the end of the stock to the muzzle. Giving it a little more "meat" at the muzzle.

I know Kimber's have good trigger but I decided to order the Trigger Tech Trigger for the Kimber 84 also. I have on on my 25-06 and love it.

I think It will be a 7mm-08 or 7mm-08AI or 284 depending on much work would need to be done. Will need to discuss with the Gunsmith. I have some time to decide as the barrel is a 12 wk special order.
Sounds awesome. Forget this AI stuff. PIA.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:10 PM
Banned

https://westtexordnance.com/7mm-saw/

Gary is great to deal with!
Old 02-22-2021, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
https://westtexordnance.com/7mm-saw/

Gary is great to deal with!
You old wildcatter you!
Old 11-05-2021, 02:53 PM

She's done! Benchmark barrel installed, action bedded and trigger tuned down to 2.5 pounds...nice and crisp. Work done by Henry Rempel.

New barrel is and finished at 22" and has a diameter of .618 inch. Original barrel was also finished at 22" and a diameter of.559.

The reduced taper on this barrel gives it a much nicer balanced feel.

Mounted a Leupold VX3HD 2.5-8x36 with Alumacaps on Talley low rings for a nice light carry weight for a 7mm-08 , 6pds 5 oz

Off to the range in a couple of days to sight in. Then hunting from the 14th-20th

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2021, 03:06 PM

Nice!
Old 11-05-2021, 03:50 PM

Nicely done!

Here is a Bergara Kimber barrel btw.

-Billy Molls