Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-12-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Dec 11th - Opening Day, you would think no body works and there's 3 ft ice on the lake, couldn't believe the number of vehicles on the ice which is 10-11" or less. We should of had out limits, we both had lots of opportunities in the morning, but I had the "Yips", golfers know what that is. Things turned around in the afternoon we managed to ice 4 & gave them away to Skawtty's F-Inlaw. Scott will be dreaming of the big Pike that hit & got off in 4 FOW that was the same girth as his thigh, I seen it 2-3 times staring at my w/w's it filled my 10" hole, toooo bad ... LOL.

A few Pic's.

D

Scott caught the biggest one today.

Wow, what side of the lake is that on???
Old 12-12-2020, 06:21 PM

Norglenwold.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2020, 06:59 PM

Thanks. Excited to take the kiddos out to catch their first lake whitefish!. They caught their first Rocky Mountain whitefish out of the McLeod this summer so they are pumped.
Old 12-12-2020, 07:41 PM

I walked on at Sunbreakers in the dark. Had about 6-7 refusals before I landed a fish. Wireworms just plain didn't work. Little brass flutter spoon was the trick. Lost 3 at the hole but had my 5 in the pail by 10 AM. 6-8 FOW. 8 to 10" ice.
Old 12-12-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
I walked on at Sunbreakers in the dark. Had about 6-7 refusals before I landed a fish. Wireworms just plain didn't work. Little brass flutter spoon was the trick. Lost 3 at the hole but had my 5 in the pail by 10 AM. 6-8 FOW. 8 to 10" ice.
Were you working the spoon when they bit or on the pause?
Old 12-12-2020, 08:41 PM

Based on reports, a person died at Palm Bay area today. Slipped on the ice and cracked his head open and died. Absolutely awful. Please be careful out there folks. No fish is worth anyone's life.
Old 12-12-2020, 09:01 PM

[QUOTE=Talking moose;4286181]Were you working the spoon when they bit or on the pause?[/QUOTE
On the pause.
Old 12-13-2020, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Based on reports, a person died at Palm Bay area today. Slipped on the ice and cracked his head open and died. Absolutely awful. Please be careful out there folks. No fish is worth anyone's life.

I read on a Facebook post that the author heard someone had slipped and fell on Sylvan and passed away. Can anyone confirm this terrible incident?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2020, 07:43 AM

Yes, it's true and sad. A man from Edmonton.
Old 12-13-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
If Palm Bay is range road 23, I was there. Watched the ambulance and fire people show up and cart the guy off the ice. Happens 100 yards away from us. Very sad. No snow on the ice coupled with high winds, is a disaster waiting to happen. Hope everyone reading this invests in cleats.
And no whitefish again. The guy next to me limited out. Arrg.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:00 AM

My thoughts and prayers are with the man’s family and friends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2020, 09:05 AM

That is such a tragedy

Cleats are on offer at Can Tire Macleod for $10 if people are looking for a cheap option
Old 12-13-2020, 10:25 AM

When we first starting hearing reports of first responders going down to Palm Bay, I thought someone went down in a vehicle, then we heard it was a medical emerg.

Very sad news, RIP fellow angler, at least he went doing something he enjoyed.

EDIT: My Monster Ice Cleats keep coming off my size 12 boots, went to Cdn Tire & bought another cheap pair of lighter pull on cleats & put a bunch of #10 - 1/2" screws into the heel, you need them, be safe not sorry.

D.

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 12-13-2020 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-13-2020, 01:33 PM

Btw
There was an absolute giant pike in that bay. Was at my buddies shack for a minute when a pike came into view on the camera and sat inches away from buddies jig and minnow. (He wanted a walleye).
Looked biggish on the camera but could only see half the head.
So I looked down the hole and was shocked at the bohemoth! The back was sooooo wide! Then it slowly swam away. Took a looooong time to to swim out of view if you know what I mean.
This fish was definitely over 20lbs.
After that, threw a big herring under a tip up but no dice.....
I prefer fishing at gull because the whites are bigger but I think sylvan will be my go to spot just for a chance at huge pike on a tip up while I fish for whites.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Btw
There was an absolute giant pike in that bay. Was at my buddies shack for a minute when a pike came into view on the camera and sat inches away from buddies jig and minnow. (He wanted a walleye).
Looked biggish on the camera but could only see half the head.
So I looked down the hole and was shocked at the bohemoth! The back was sooooo wide! Then it slowly swam away. Took a looooong time to to swim out of view if you know what I mean.
This fish was definitely over 20lbs.
After that, threw a big herring under a tip up but no dice.....
I prefer fishing at gull because the whites are bigger but I think sylvan will be my go to spot just for a chance at huge pike on a tip up while I fish for whites.

We seen one on Friday but it wasn't 20 plus, that must of been exciting. There are a few big-big Pike in Sylvan and hopefully this year I'll get me one, too.

D.

Old 12-13-2020, 08:51 PM

Dec 13th ..... drove onto the ice at Norglenwold lake access road to have a look. Was it cold with the windchill -25C most of the day, at least the ice is growing.

This is what today looked like at 3:00 pm, everyone is about 200-300 yds out over 10-15 fow, reports are 11" ice, not confirmed by me.

D.

Old 12-13-2020, 09:15 PM

Still not for me to drive out, Im still walking out
Old 12-14-2020, 08:19 AM

Its too bad there isn't just a touch more snow on the lake. Not only for additional traction but so a guy can hide (and insulate) his catch so he doesn't have people drill holes within 10 yards of them.

I am thinking someone should make a fisherman decoy. Just an empty tent set up on the lake with a few fake fish outside of it. I am sure it would attract many fisherman.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5426.jpg (43.1 KB, 203 views)
Old 12-14-2020, 05:40 PM

Keep the updates coming Zip!!! I love them....

Im thinking of putting my shack on this wed or Thursday west of norgenwald boat launch like last year....!!!

Hoping for at least 13".....with the weather on Sunday through Wednesday I think I have a chance.

Tnx again

Happy
Old 12-15-2020, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfisher View Post
Keep the updates coming Zip!!! I love them....

Im thinking of putting my shack on this wed or Thursday west of norgenwald boat launch like last year....!!!

Hoping for at least 13".....with the weather on Sunday through Wednesday I think I have a chance.

Tnx again

Happy

You need to go to Gull to fine 13 inches ice ..... be careful not sorry.

Sylvan Whites are waiting for you .....

D.

Old 12-16-2020, 08:30 PM

Dec 16th … Went out to Norglenwold area, shanty town is growing, lots of guys were already at their shacks, got set up in 6 fow and was fisin by 8:15, almost immediately a White comes in and swims between both rods - 4 w/w & kept going, said to self …. not another one of those days! Managed to get 2 & 1 Walleye. Stayed till 4:00 pm packed up for the day. I had my chances, seen over 20 Whites, some were really nice size, should of have more, reflecting back, need to make some equipment/technique changes to improve my success.

Garbage Line that some Idiots left on the lake, I picked it up for you & trash canned it.

D.

Old 12-17-2020, 03:30 PM

Dec 17th .... had to go to R/D this morning, drove past the Lighthouse at 9:30 there were 4 groups out, weather wasn't bad, surprised more people weren't out. Returned at 1:15 & seen a guy loading his sled into his truck, everyone else was gone, the lake looked a bit deserted, guess everyone got their limits and went home early .... not!

It started to blow with light snow but nothing serious, forecast is sunny & 0C tomorrow, going back out to the North end of the lake.

Made some equipment changes that might help;

Downsized my line in 3 out 4 rods to 4 lb Sufix floro.

The 4th rod will have 6 lb with a flashy spoon on the bottom & w/w tied about 6-8" above.

Two rods will only have 1 w/w not 2, had too many whites hit my line and didn't come back for another try.

One rod will still have 2 w/w's but 4 lb floro not 6, an experiment to see if lighter line makes any difference.

Anyone got any suggestions on either Sunbreaker or Palm Bay on where I should try to change my luck ?

P/M's with your GPS spots are welcome.

D.

EDIT: Put some screws into piece of sheet metal & screwed it into the heel of my boots, these sure helped moving across the ice, considerably more traction, looks like I lost one, need to fix that.

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 12-17-2020 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-17-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Dec 17th .... had to go to R/D this morning, drove past the Lighthouse at 9:30 there were 4 groups out, weather wasn't bad, surprised more people weren't out. Returned at 1:15 & seen a guy loading his sled into his truck, everyone else was gone, the lake looked a bit deserted, guess everyone got their limits and went home early .... not!

It started to blow with light snow but nothing serious, forecast is sunny & 0C tomorrow, going back out to the North end of the lake.

Made some equipment changes that might help;

Downsized my line in 3 out 4 rods to 4 lb Sufix floro.

The 4th rod will have 6 lb with a flashy spoon on the bottom & w/w tied about 6-8" above.

Two rods will only have 1 w/w not 2, had too many whites hit my line and didn't come back for another try.

One rod will still have 2 w/w's but 4 lb floro not 6, an experiment to see if lighter line makes any difference.

Anyone got any suggestions on either Sunbreaker or Palm Bay on where I should try to change my luck ?

P/M's with your GPS spots are welcome.

D.

When u get on the ice at Palm Bay go right. And walk as far as it takes to get away from all the people.
Talked with a guy that was on his way back in and he limited out in an hour. But stayed a few more hours catching and releasing. Caught about 20 altogether.
Said they were very aggressive yesterday. He put on a jigging rap to try and get a walleye. Even caught a white on the jigging rap.
He showed me different ww’s to use on different areas of the lake. Depending on the area of the lake and lake bottom in those areas some colours and shapes out perform others significantly.
But ya, where the main herd was fishing there were lots of skunks and one maybe two fish catches.
Key is to get away from the herd where everyone fished.
Old 12-17-2020, 03:56 PM

Oh ya, he said trick is to trigger them into taking it is when they start coming in, slowly start raising the ww up.
Old 12-17-2020, 04:51 PM

all you Whitefish folks can keep on limiting out on all those Whites...ha ha. Let the walleye and pike both get long and fat!! See ya's on Saturday...looking forward to a great weekend!
Old 12-17-2020, 04:56 PM

Got the shack on the ice....it was scary but I did it...

Ice 12" thick and clear.....

Had on fish on at night time....got to the hold then I went in to grab him and he slipped away....so I put the jig back down the hole as the bait seemed fine.....

5 mins later I hear a splash.....the fish is still in the hole!!! I reached in and it got away again!!! LOL

Ohh well. Marked about 7 fish...don't know what they were.

Im gunna park on shore untill Jan...it was just kinda scary driving on for me
Old 12-17-2020, 05:57 PM

Default Stupid whitefish question

It’s been years since I’ve caught a whitefish ( almost 100% C&R fisherman, love fishing just not eating them), Anyways, they are kind of a “ bucket list fish” and I was wondering what time of day is most likely to be productive? Not like we won’t be there from dawn to dusk, just wondering?
Old 12-17-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonedocks View Post
It’s been years since I’ve caught a whitefish ( almost 100% C&R fisherman, love fishing just not eating them), Anyways, they are kind of a “ bucket list fish” and I was wondering what time of day is most likely to be productive? Not like we won’t be there from dawn to dusk, just wondering?
Be there as the suns coming up. First few hours Is best. Shallow. Move out later in the morning.
Old 12-17-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonedocks View Post
Usually first light. Fish just below the ice.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:19 PM

Checked my P/M's no one sent me any Honey-Hole GPS Waypoints .... jeeze.

T-Moose ... we fished West of the lake access road in the past got a few spots out that direction were that huge house is. We also did well in the spring to the East towards that far point, there's some good structure with a weed line the Whites & Walleye were holding to. Guess I'll end up either right or left of the road, it will all depend on the wind tomorrow.

Taken the other day, Palm Bay lake access road, one small bump to get over & you can park on ice. Was that you out there?

Cheers

D.