Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-26-2020, 11:30 PM

A friend of mine has a M96 Swede in 6.5x55 that his uncle had given him a number of years ago. With the low power forward mounted scope, it's a pretty neat set up.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:37 AM

I bounce back and forth with my scout, I like it, then I don’t. The rifle is exceptional, very accurate, it’s the platform I struggle with.

For hunting (and I too hunt in dense cover) I find my x bolt micro with a conventionally mounted 4-16 scope difficult to beat. It’s short, light (7.75lbs with optic), fast pointing, I love the darn thing. With the 4-16 I don’t give up anything, I can shoot deer at 30 yards or 500 yards.

My scout is a savage 10 fcm, it weight 7.25lbs with no optic and no ammo. It has the acoustics which adds some weight. I have a vortex 2-7 in leupold qd rings, with that mounted it is 8.5lbs. My micro is lighter and much better balanced.

I find fast target acquisition is achieved by fast eye to optic alignment. Most scout scopes do not have a very large eye box, thus are not forgiving of misalignment. Add in the fact that the optic is 11 inches away from your eye, you’ve added a lot more room for error.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve taken game with mine, it works, I just find it’s not the best for me. I’ve pilled up a ton of 1.5” groups at 320 yards and have dialled it to 700 yards on a 12 inch gong, but I can do that with my “normal” rifles too, more easily to boot.

Currently my scout rifle only wears its iron sights, I carry it when walking the dogs or just roaming the woods. The rifle handles much better without the optic on it.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:49 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
Gosh the triggers on those Lee Enfield's (grinning)
I actually enjoy the little bit of creep....it kinda makes me settle in a little more prior to taking the shot...I should get the barrel trimmed back and the sight re-installed....anyone know of a reputable gun smith?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-27-2020, 04:59 PM

Have a Ruger GSR. For years I lusted after a scout then I tried it in the field and realized that it didn't work for me! In fact I hated the forward mounted scope. I was using a VX2 1.5-4 scout scope.

I have removed the forward rail on mine, mounted a VX2 2-7x32 over the action in low rings and fit an aftermarket rear sight in the forward 2 screw holes from the rail. I like the concept of a rugged carbine with compact scope and BUIS. I didn't see much advantage to the IER scout scope. I think something like an Aimpoint would be better.

I considered the XS rail and think its a nice solution to mounting options while retaining the rear ghost ring, but don't like the aesthetics of the long rail.

Last edited by kayaker; 06-27-2020 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:33 PM

Kayaker

I’m thinking of doing something similar with my savage scout. I would love to find a regular rear sight and mount it where the rail attaches to the barrel. I would then run a low power variable scope over the action as well.
Old 06-27-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamer View Post
Kayaker

I’m thinking of doing something similar with my savage scout. I would love to find a regular rear sight and mount it where the rail attaches to the barrel. I would then run a low power variable scope over the action as well.
I used a Marbles Universal ramp base, and one of their sight blades. people complain about this sight slipping but once adjusted to to be on at 50m I simply put a drop of red loctite onto the serrated slide and ts been rock solid, no issues.
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rod105339.aspx
Old 06-27-2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I actually enjoy the little bit of creep....it kinda makes me settle in a little more prior to taking the shot...I should get the barrel trimmed back and the sight re-installed....anyone know of a reputable gun smith?
Prone or sitting I can overcome a heavy creepy trigger but off hand is where it makes a big difference for me.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:21 PM
Banned

Range report. I mounted that scope and tested it at 100 meters. The three 5 shot groups with a 150 FMJBT was 3/4", 7/8" and 1-1/4" respectively. A further test was done at 200 meters with a group of 1-5/8" This was done off a tailgate, bipod and beanbag under the toe of the butt.

Last edited by trooper; 07-04-2020 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:12 PM

I like this thread, thank you.

At one time I had an AR, but sadly it was lost in a bad drift boat accident last fall.

I used a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24. I typically had it at 1 power and it felt very natural with both eyes open. Would the Strike Eagle 1-8 or the 1-6 work for your scout rifle purposes?
Old 07-05-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
I like this thread, thank you.

At one time I had an AR, but sadly it was lost in a bad drift boat accident last fall.

I used a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24. I typically had it at 1 power and it felt very natural with both eyes open. Would the Strike Eagle 1-8 or the 1-6 work for your scout rifle purposes?
Out would work best set above the action as the eye releif is not long enough to mount above the barrel and give a good sight picture