Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-11-2020, 09:15 AM

Default Bullet puller

What’s your fav bullet puller, and why?

Last edited by aardvaark; 06-11-2020 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvaark View Post
What’s your fav bullet puller, and why?

I just got the only one I've ever had, an RCBS 9440. It seems to work well, I don't see a mark on pulled bullets. Thats about all I can tell you, I'm very new to reloading.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:46 AM

I use a collet type bullet puller, I don't believe hammering on things has a place in loading.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:59 AM

Default puller

I've a kenetic (hammer type)puller RCBS and a collet puller also RCBS, To say one over the other is better I cannot. I like the kenetic for pulling uncrimped loads and the collet puller is a must for crimped loads in my experience, especially military crimps. Takes way too much striking force for me to feel comfortable when using hammer style puller, however sometime if you are a little too aggressive with the collet pullet it will damage bullet profile as well. If I had to settle for one it would probably be the collet, its slower and you do have to be carefull when tighten the collet, it but theres no loose powder to have to deal with, on each bullet pull.
Old 06-11-2020, 10:49 AM

I have a collet and a kinetic. If I seat to deep and need a fine adjustment Or just need to pull 1 or 2 I use the kinetic. If it’s a big job and you have a few to pull I bust out the collet.
Old 06-11-2020, 10:53 AM

If you aren’t going to pull more than $100 worth of bullets in your reloading career, use a pair of side cutters.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-11-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
If you aren’t going to pull more than $100 worth of bullets in your reloading career, use a pair of side cutters.

That’s all I’ve ever used
It’s good incentive to not screw up

However, I don’t load 30 rounds to test and drive to the range either. I load 5 and walk into the back yard, so I can see where some guys might load some hot rounds and end up wanting to salvage them if a range trip is a scheduled event or a long drive.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:23 PM

In too cheap to waste a good bullet. heck I even dig the berm looking for bullets I can re-use..lol
I use either the rcbs collet style or the kinetic type from the same manufacturer.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:26 PM

Collet for jacketed bullets.
Kinetic for lead bullets.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot
Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...
Old 06-11-2020, 06:01 PM

A big thank you everyone that’s responded. Some helpful advice here, as usual.

I should have had this part in my initial post. I’ve been reloading for some 20 plus years now. And always used a kinetic puller. Then, a couple years back I was trying to get a 20gr bullet out of a 17Hornet round that I realized I had missed putting powder into. Hammered and hammered on that thing and it wouldn’t come out cuz the tiny 20gr pill doesn’t carry enuf kinetic energy to come out. And then the primer fired. No harm done other than to my underwear. So I won’t use that anymore.

Which some of you above have alluded to.

So now I’ve got a couple years of ‘mistakes’ gathered on my bench and I want to deal with them safely.

Thanks, again!
Old 06-13-2020, 03:03 PM

Default Grip in Pull

https://grip-n-pull.com/

Works great. I ordered three out of the four offered to cover all the rifle and pistol calibers I have.
Old 06-13-2020, 04:35 PM

Have them all. The RCBS collet die was the original king of the hill and still far better than a kinetic. The newer Hornady Collet is WAY far and away the best for pulling bullets and leaving no marks. Over the years I have pulled the bullets out of thousands of rounds of FMJ 223 and 308 so I could replace the bullet with a soft point ( I could buy loaded FMJ cheaper that I could make a round). I have also pulled down a lot of loaded ammo for guns I had sold and wanted to recover the components.

If I was just going to pull the odd bullet a set of side cutters would work fine but I have well more than paid for the collet dies I use.
Old 06-13-2020, 04:50 PM

For one or two bullets, I use the RCBS kinetic puller. If I need to pull a bunch, I use a collet puller.
Old 06-13-2020, 05:29 PM

I feel like the safer bet is the RCBS collet, but I do know lots of guys use the kinetic.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:50 PM

Collet puller....Hammer ones just mess up sp tips
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 06-20-2020, 10:32 AM

Default Cost effective

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Might even be shootable if you're careful.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I use a collet type bullet puller, I don't believe hammering on things has a place in loading.
Agreed. The only issue with collet pullers is that they don't seem to work well with crimped rounds. I never crimp my loads anyway.. I use the RCBS collet puller.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Have them all. The RCBS collet die was the original king of the hill and still far better than a kinetic. The newer Hornady Collet is WAY far and away the best for pulling bullets and leaving no marks. Over the years I have pulled the bullets out of thousands of rounds of FMJ 223 and 308 so I could replace the bullet with a soft point ( I could buy loaded FMJ cheaper that I could make a round). I have also pulled down a lot of loaded ammo for guns I had sold and wanted to recover the components.

If I was just going to pull the odd bullet a set of side cutters would work fine but I have well more than paid for the collet dies I use.
Is that their cam lock puller/collet? I have recently acquired the rcbs collet, is it worth replacing? Some how I end up pulling a fair amount of bullets or even Increasing the coal.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
Is that their cam lock puller/collet? I have recently acquired the rcbs collet, is it worth replacing? Some how I end up pulling a fair amount of bullets or even Increasing the coal.
Yes, the cam lock puller collet set up. Has a lever at the top of the puller to tension the collet instead of the screw tighten arrangement on the RCBS. Much easier to get just the right amount of tight and much faster. Also releases the bullets easier. I have both the RCBS and the Hornady and the RCBS sees almost no use now.

Trooper, the Hornady also works much better on crimped military surplus ammo.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
put some paper towel or foam in the bottom of the kinetic puller, no damage to the lead tips.
Old 06-25-2020, 11:26 AM

Default not anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
RCBS now has a rubber insert to cushion the bullet nose.I used to put a piece of eraser in my old style one.
Old 06-25-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
RCBS now has a rubber insert to cushion the bullet nose.I used to put a piece of eraser in my old style one.
They are still a really poor option. They will not unseat a crimped bullet and if you only need to do a few rounds every few years, I would just use the side cutters. Side cutters, or collet, to me the Kinetic really don't have a good use. If you have one, would not quit using it and the eraser is a good tip, but I sure wouldn't suggest people actually buy a new one.
Old 06-26-2020, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB2506 View Post
put some paper towel or foam in the bottom of the kinetic puller, no damage to the lead tips.
Been there done that, collet puller or nothing..15 minutes of pounding verses 3 seconds in the press....yes it costs more but well worth the extra expense.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.