Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-18-2021, 08:21 PM

Default Rips cleats

I find these work well unless you are walking in deep sticky slush.

If walking on smooth or slippery ice then these are easy to use. I spin them around when getting into a car or walking onto cement or a building.

https://ripscleats.com/our-products/cleat-sizing/

I have this one.

https://ripscleats.com/products/sharp-cleats/
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-19-2021, 09:51 AM

I picked up a pair of these Icetracx (post 28) at Costco yesterday. $13.99. Don't know yet how well they work for ice fishing, not ice climbing. They look like they will work well. I will let you know if I have a change of heart later. Costco return policy cannot be beat.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 11-20-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I need a couple pairs of good cleats this season especially with a concussion. anyone finding any good deals preferably local or quick mail order. Need a big set for my clodhoppers and a smaller size for my special partner. tired of the stretchy crap that may last a season I hope to wear them for a long time to come so a good set is worth the investment.
Get your son to grab you the ones they use at CP rail,,, absolutely amazing.... Or knit some real coarse wool socks that pull over the outside of your boots, walk like a bear.
Old 11-20-2021, 04:59 PM

You could always wrap barbed wire around your feet. That is what we did to get to school back in "the day"

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 11-20-2021, 05:04 PM

Default Costco Icetrax on the shopping list

will look to see if in stock. Costco.ca shows small and large size available on line $19.99 but suggests may be available cash and carry in local warehouse for less.
Fell 3 years ago while closing a gate after a pheasant shoot and broke 4 ribs and didnt enjoy it enough to want to repeat the performance.
Old 11-20-2021, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post
You could always wrap barbed wire around your feet. That is what we did to get to school back in "the day"
Feh! We used to screw ice tent anchors through the top of our bare feet to the desired length for traction and woodscrews through our toes for extra grip... We'd coat the bottom of our sleds with latex and sand/gravel in the latex because slippery sleds were for weak wussies... Our auger blades were always dull so you had to really drill the hole by hand, none of those tree hugger lithium electric fancy pants light in the loafer new fangled hole drills in our family, just pure misery... Man making, soul crushing ecstatic misery.
Old 11-21-2021, 07:25 AM

I only use removable cleats, but the aggressive climbing style ones sold as Crampons. Much tougher built, longer spike and they have toe grips too. Problem with all the sheet metal and permanent mounted to boots ones is they are hell on your running boards, door sills, skidoos, or anything else you don't want scratched all to hell when you step on it.

Ones I use are similar to these. Easy on and off and tremendous traction.

If all you want are the cheap version strap on ones, Canadian Tire has them on sale in their Black Friday flyer today for 10 bucks, regular price $22.

Last edited by Dean2; 11-21-2021 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-21-2021, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I only use removable cleats, but the aggressive climbing style ones sold as Crampons. Much tougher built, longer spike and they have toe grips too. Problem with all the sheet metal and permanent mounted to boots ones is they are hell on your running boards, door sills, skidoos, or anything else you don't want scratched all to hell when you step on it.

Ones I use are similar to these. Easy on and off and tremendous traction.

If all you want are the cheap version strap on ones, Canadian Tire has them on sale in their Black Friday flyer today for 10 bucks, regular price $22.

Nice! I like the removable ones for the reasons you listed. These look grippy alright
For $10 you really cannot lose. Any removable that have a good over the top of the foot strap system should hold up. The grappy rubber ones I have just eventually fall off and drag behind me.