Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-16-2019, 01:01 PM

Default Ice Cleats

I need a couple pairs of good cleats this season especially with a concussion. anyone finding any good deals preferably local or quick mail order. Need a big set for my clodhoppers and a smaller size for my special partner. tired of the stretchy crap that may last a season I hope to wear them for a long time to come so a good set is worth the investment.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-16-2019, 01:14 PM

really good ones are defiantly pricey,

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5017-3...raction-Device

I have purchased the 20 dollar ones and they are super tight and slip off while i'm walking on the ice.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 12-16-2019, 01:41 PM

tried ordering those from BP they wont ship into Canada. also looking at the
ICETrekkers Diamond Grip Traction Cleats which ship to us for 65 and wont eat my mats every day

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-16-2019, 02:45 PM

I ordered the Stabilicers Maxx a couple of years ago. Spendy but worth every penny. Here's a product comparison video link so you can see the difference they make.

https://youtu.be/tx7iKdDe91c?t=69
Old 12-16-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
I ordered the Stabilicers Maxx a couple of years ago. Spendy but worth every penny. Here's a product comparison video link so you can see the difference they make.

https://youtu.be/tx7iKdDe91c?t=69
hadnt been impressed with the look of the screws, but they do look pretty workable and I like the easy remove straps. might get a few less hateful looks walking through CT and less damage to mats as well

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-16-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
hadnt been impressed with the look of the screws, but they do look pretty workable and I like the easy remove straps. might get a few less hateful looks walking through CT and less damage to mats as well
The screws are the secret to the success. They don't look like they'd be up to much but when put through the paces they're freaking brilliant. The other thing is that they are relatively comfortable on your feet compared to other models that have longer teeth or spikes. Anyway, the video speaks for itself and I'll vouch for them. Good luck with making a decision!
Old 12-16-2019, 04:29 PM

I have been using the ice treckers for several years and work well. Wife wears them fishing too. Cant get the deals I used to on them as the wife doesnt work at the place that sells them but you may want to try as they do mail oder or at least did when when she worked there. https://jobsiteworkwear.ca/search?ty...q=ice+treckers
Quote:
ICETrekkers Diamond Grip Traction Cleats which ship to us for 65 and wont eat my mats every day
Old 12-16-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I need a couple pairs of good cleats this season especially with a concussion. anyone finding any good deals preferably local or quick mail order. Need a big set for my clodhoppers and a smaller size for my special partner. tired of the stretchy crap that may last a season I hope to wear them for a long time to come so a good set is worth the investment.
Wayne I have these ones work great

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...abilicers-lite

Easy to replace screws if they get worn as well.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:44 PM

Stud your boots....wayyyyyy better. I've had the same set of carbide studs in my dunlop work winters and my redwings I wear at Suncor for like 3 years. I've tried all most of the strap on type and they all suck. And honestly the only time the studs are a bit of a pain is on smooth concrete.....but if placed properly they dont become a hazard.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:04 PM

Will second stabilicers. Century Vallen the safety store ( may have a new name) will have them. Best to take boots and size them, note that they can be as bad as curling shoes on Tim Hortons tile.

B.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:05 PM

If I remember correctly - Marks had hiking boots with steel studs that can be deployed with a handle by the heal?

Dodger
Old 12-16-2019, 07:12 PM

Kahtoola microspikes or Hillsound Trail Crampons are my favourites. But if you can have dedicated ice boots then Kold Kutter ice screws.

Bought the Hillsounds In Lethbridge at Atmosphere. Kahtoolas at Wholesale sports(not sure where you can get them now).

Got the Kold Kutters on ebay.ca

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:10 PM

Got these at Cdn Tire a couple of years ago, they work good, still look like new, a bit heavy, they easily fit on my size 12 boots, saved me from falling a couple of times, good investment.

Wayne, wish you all the best.

David

Old 12-16-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
I have been using the ice treckers for several years and work well. Wife wears them fishing too. Cant get the deals I used to on them as the wife doesnt work at the place that sells them but you may want to try as they do mail oder or at least did when when she worked there. https://jobsiteworkwear.ca/search?ty...q=ice+treckers
Looks like the ones I've been given while delivering a certain mod yard. They worked very well and I don't see them causing damage to carpets or hard surfaces. Heavy but worth it. Definitely recommend these chain style ones.

My employer gives us these K1 mid-sole cleats and they are useless. Hardly any grip, you feel like you've got a dead porcupine under your arch indoors and the band holds in water so my boots never dry over night if I don't take them off.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:16 AM

Default Amazon.ca

All kinds delivered by amazon.ca
Old 12-17-2019, 09:00 AM

The Hillsounds are amazing if you have large feet. I can get the extra large on my size 14 much boots no problem. 2 years of daily walks in the dog park and fishing trips and not even a single tear in the rubber yet.

https://www.atmosphere.ca/categories...D=332389645_99

If you will fit a large the link CNP posted is perfect. If Amazon had them in extra large I would buy a back up set right now.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 12-17-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
I have two sets of crampons from Amazon and they've held up well over two seasons of ice fishing / winter hiking. Definitely worth looking into as they are a quarter of the price of kahtoolas
Old 12-17-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Stud your boots....wayyyyyy better. I've had the same set of carbide studs in my dunlop work winters and my redwings I wear at Suncor for like 3 years. I've tried all most of the strap on type and they all suck. And honestly the only time the studs are a bit of a pain is on smooth concrete.....but if placed properly they dont become a hazard.
100% agree. None of the store bought ones compare. Machine screws in the tread can't be beat
Old 12-17-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Thanks just ordered the ones you posted.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
If I remember correctly - Marks had hiking boots with steel studs that can be deployed with a handle by the heal?

Dodger
Guy I work with has them and seems to like them,they’ve held up to a lot of abuse so far. Only flaw is once in awhile they’ll get jammed up with ice and packed snow and then the handle won’t rest back into its natural position so it just sticks out.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:55 PM

These work great

Home made Dad was a sheet metal/tin smith

4' by2 3/4" by 1 1/4 by 1 1/2'

worn in middle of boot

just tie on.. I take every where I ice fish

Thanks Dad love yah (past on )

Food for Thought

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cleats 1.jpg (48.4 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg Cleats 2.jpg (51.6 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg cleats 3.jpg (49.6 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg cleats 4.jpg (48.5 KB, 92 views)
Old 12-17-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
These work great

Home made Dad was a sheet metal/tin smith

4' by2 3/4" by 1 1/4 by 1 1/2'

worn in middle of boot

just tie on.. I take every where I ice fish

Thanks Dad love yah (past on )

Food for Thought

David
good idea I have the material too. was a tinbasher in a past life.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-18-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I got my Katoola's from Mountain Equipment CO-OP. They will also mail them to you. I got the Icetrekkers after for the same reason your looking at them. ie would be easier on the floor of the truck. One problem with them though is the cable rusts and mine did not last as long as I would like. Might be better if you sprayed them with some rust inhibitor though.
Old 12-18-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
I got my Katoola's from Mountain Equipment CO-OP. They will also mail them to you. I got the Icetrekkers after for the same reason your looking at them. ie would be easier on the floor of the truck. One problem with them though is the cable rusts and mine did not last as long as I would like. Might be better if you sprayed them with some rust inhibitor though.
I checked into the Lee Valley link Orv posted they have cleats that look identical to the stabilizers maxx for 20 bucks less.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-19-2019, 08:26 PM

I bought a bag of like 100 Kold Kutter 3/8" screws and just screwed them right into my boots. Crazy grippy and you can customize the pattern as you see fit. Plus easy to replace if they get worn out or get lost.

Only issue is you can't take them off so no walking on hardwood or ceramic floors.

http://koldkutter.com/products
Old 12-20-2019, 08:51 PM

I burnt through a lot of different ones over the years, all lasting only a year or two until I bought kahtoola micro spikes. Use them sheep hunting in the mountains to ice fishing. They r 6 years old now and still going strong 🤞. Not cheap but cheaper than if I added up all the previous ones. I see Eagle claw is making a knock off for half the price however. I have no experience with them but r the same design.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:03 AM

I don't have a great set but if I was looking I would check out a place that sell high and low end equipment.
Good luck...

https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/en/...=7&nls=NLSAA_3

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 11-17-2021, 03:35 PM

Dusted off this old thread that Wayne started in 2019.

Be safe vs sorry, a fella wiped out & hit his head last year on Sylvan - Palm Bay area around the season opener, first responders couldn't save him, he died on the ice.

Got tired of the heavy ice cleats see Post 13, that I got from Cdn Tire that kept coming off my boots.

Found an aggressive pair with 25 ice cleats on Amazon that are decent quality & fit nicely on my new size 12 ice fishin boots that should keep me from wiping out. They come with a Velcro strap to put across the top to keep them from coming off. They come with storage case so you can put them away and forget were you put them next season.

Don't see me wearing my boots in the house or driving the vehicle wearing my cleats.

Be safe vs sorry get some cleats this season, a few pic's .....

D.

Another Option from Costco:

Not all that aggressive, has 9 little Tungsten spikes, decent rubber comes with a bag so you can lose both of them.

D.

Old 11-18-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Got these at Cdn Tire a couple of years ago, they work good, still look like new, a bit heavy, they easily fit on my size 12 boots, saved me from falling a couple of times, good investment.

Wayne, wish you all the best.

David

X2 Best ones I have ever used, The fishn hole carries the replacement screws as well. Easy on and off and can adjust to most boots. Can't go wrong.
Old 11-18-2021, 11:50 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post

Yup that’s what we went to, the only thing is smooth surfaces like cement and your skating and another thing to take into consideration is they are hard on all surfaces so if you don’t want something scuffed up take them off.

The rubber pull overs fall apart and get hooked up in things that usually make
You end up on your arse, don’t wear them driving!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...