Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-23-2019, 09:24 AM

Default Building a rifle

So the 60 degree rem 700 action is coming out from curtis customs in left hand. Ive been looking at since day one.

That being said. I quickly got a quote from alamo precision in the states for $3040.00 usd because they work closely with curtis.

axiom action
ag composites cat stock
apa rtg bottom metal
muller barrel
trigger tech primary
Cerakoted

Optional barrel fluting 175 usd

Ideally Id like to get this rifle put together in Canada. What are your thoughts? I would consider a bdl bottom metal, canadian barrel and wildcat stock as well to make things easier in Canada..

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2019, 10:00 AM

Getting parts into Canada is always the hardest part of building a custom (insert whatever firearm)......

Sourcing parts that are allready in Canada is step one, then figuring out a way to get the rest here is step 2.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:17 AM

Get i built in the states and import through irunguns or prophet river
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 02-25-2019, 12:06 PM

Wow, that's a lot of money for a left hand action alone.

Whats your goals for it? I'm guessing a lightweight mountain style, have you looked at other custom action builders, there are cheaper options for lefties, in titanium maybe even like the lone peak razor titanium ($1500)

Personally Id go for a gain twister fluted (Ron Smith before he's out of the game), and the wildcat stock.

Edit: i see thats for all the options below and not just the action, that may not be so bad.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:27 PM

I have a Triggertech 'Primary' and love the trigger, but for that build I'd go up to the 'Special', or even the 'Diamond'.

The 'Special' for sure...
Old 02-25-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by score View Post
I have a Triggertech 'Primary' and love the trigger, but for that build I'd go up to the 'Special', or even the 'Diamond'.

The 'Special' for sure...

Another thing if you haven't handled a Triggertech trigger.
I assume by your stock, you're building a hunting rifle, But...

IMO the curve of their triggers is a little too "curved". You might be ok with it but if I buy another trigger from them, I might try the straight lever.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:01 PM

If you can handle the exchange rate just build it in the states and import it as was mentioned earlier. I’ve done this a few times and it was a smooth way to get exactly what I wanted. Lots of excellent smiths to choose from in Canada and the states. Be very sure to get a delivery time as some smiths are very busy. I’ve never waited more than 6 months. My last RBros was actually finished 2 months ahead of time. I fully recommend RBros, they build an exceptional gun and great communication.