Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-20-2019, 07:23 PM

Talking Lightweight scope advice

Well, another which scope thread. Lol The difference is that I can look up specs and search the net for advice but what I am interested in learning is hard to find.

I recently bought a Kimber Montana and am looking to put a different scope on it. It currently wears a 3x9x40 Viper with a BDC reticle. While I am happy with the scope, I am wondering if there's something I might like better out there. This scope is fairly light (13-14 oz) and the optics aren't bad but then again I have not compared it with a lot of brands, in the field. My main complaint is the eye box is kind of finicky, which is okay when I have lots of time to make a shot but could be a problem when there's less time.

I hunt lots of cut blocks and cut lines but have also started trying my hand at still hunting in the timber more. So the low end should probably be no higher than 3X.

I also don't shoot or haven't ever attempted a shot beyond 350 yards so 10-12 X should be lots on the top end. I don't need or am really looking for an illuminated reticle either.

Budget is 800-1000. Lastly although I don't shoot a magnum, I think eye relief should be at least 3.5" and obviously weight on a light gun is a factor, so no 50mm objective lenses.

I am of course flexible on all points if a good argument either way can be made.

Maybe I should just grab a Z3 3x9x36 or Vx3i 3x9 and be done with my search? How are the eye boxes on either of these scopes?

Thanks.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 02-20-2019, 07:31 PM
Banned

I had a few Z3’s in the 3-10x42 variety and I’ve got a VX3i in 3.5-10x40. Bothare great scopes with good optical clarity and lightweight. For $630 it’s tough to overlook the leupold, and it’s got an amazing eyebox.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:36 PM

My three kimbers wear vx3 2.5-8x36 scopes. They’ve got what I consider the ideal combination of low end magnification for up close or running shots, high end magnification for anything out to 400ish yards (as far as I shoot). Physical size, weight, eye relief, forgiving eye box and the eye box is short enough to fit the rifle in a set of Talley rings without sticking to far back. They’ve got a great warranty and they’re tough as I’ve never lost zero or had to use their warranty which is more then I can say for my experience with vortex, Simmons, Nikon, tasco, Weaver and Bushnell. The optics aren’t as good as some high end euro brands but they’re certainly good enough to see everything you need to shoot within legal hours. For the price they’re hard to beat.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I had a few Z3’s in the 3-10x42 variety and I’ve got a VX3i in 3.5-10x40. Bothare great scopes with good optical clarity and lightweight. For $630 it’s tough to overlook the leupold, and it’s got an amazing eyebox.
Prophet river had the vx3i 3.5-10x40 on for $499 over the family day weekend plus 5% off and free shipping. They can be had for a lot less then $630 if your looking around. There was one on gunutz yesterday for $450 used. I had that same scope on my .338 but felt it was physically to big for a Montana (obviously just my opinion).
Old 02-20-2019, 08:09 PM

I am a fan of the leupold 2x7 . Nothing fancy but scope is not bulky, can mount low and has good power range
Old 02-20-2019, 09:22 PM

I would go to the high end of your budget and get the Swaro, you won't be disappointed. I love Leupold as well and am a big fan, but if lightweight is your main goal, then the 3-9x36 or 3-10x42 Swaro would be my first choices.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:36 PM

My choice would be the Z3 3-10×42. I have owned five of them, excellent scopes.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:22 PM

For what you're describing, a low end of 1.5 to 2.5 power with top end of 8 to 10 power. Large eye box and eye relief.

Prophet River has some good sales....

Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8x32 $799.00

Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8x36 $599.00

Leupold VX-5HD 2-10X42 $899.00

P and D has a sale on Nikon Monarch 3 that are really hard to beat for the money.

2.5-10x42 $365.50

So many to choose from. Euros for around a $1000.00

Of these, I like the Monarch and the Razor. For whatever reason, Leupold just doesn't look good to my eyes.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:53 AM

P&D prices the Swarovski Z3 3-9×36 at $799 regular price...$899 for the 3-10×42. As far as lightweight, no frills hunting scopes go these are probably the best value out there, though I do not own one so who knows.
Eye relief in the Z3 line isn't spectacular, they claim 3.5 inches I think, but to me they seem definitely shy of the Leupold VX3i that I owned for awhile, but that's just an in store impression.

If you want to go with the Vortex Razor LH HD line, heavy discounts can be found, though I haven't looked around in a bit. Cabela's had some at $599 in the bargain bin this past summer, those were probably a discontinued reticle or something to be on clearance.

There's not a huge selection of high quality, lightweight scopes these days, as target style scopes seem incredibly popular at the higher end right now. Of course Bushnell Elite, Leupold, Burris, etc. still make traditional hunting scopes, and probably sell a lot of them, quality may vary. I would avoid any Vortex that isn't a Razor.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:05 AM

Thanks for all the information. I have considered most of these models. Do the z3 have a forgiving eye box? How about the Razor LH?

I am assuming that the Leupold does?

Anyone know how much nicer the glass is in the z3 vs Vx3i? Maybe I should grab a plain Jane VX5?
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 02-21-2019, 11:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
Thanks for all the information. I have considered most of these models. Do the z3 have a forgiving eye box? How about the Razor LH?

I am assuming that the Leupold does?

Anyone know how much nicer the glass is in the z3 vs Vx3i? Maybe I should grab a plain Jane VX5?
I couldn’t tell the optical difference between the Z3, VX3i, and the Zeiss HD5 in low light condition at least for any practical Hunting use. What it all boils down to is reticle, weight and features imo. Out of these the VX3i has the best eye relief.

I have no expirience with the VX5

Last edited by Kurt505; 02-21-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:34 AM

The Vortex Razor HD LH has a great eye box and eye relief is 3.8"

1.5-8x32 is 13.4 oz

2-10x40 is 15.4 oz

so both under a lb.

the G4 BDC reticle is just right for a quick shot close or when you're shooting out a ways.

I like these scopes a lot and they're on sale now if you shop around.

But that said, for half of the cost you could get the Nikon Monarch 3 which is a great hunting scope and on sale now. With the savings get good light rings and you're still ahead.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:00 PM

2.5-8 VariX-III in Nikon rings on my Montana, lines up to my eye like a good shotgun. Rifle is just a pube under 6lbs scoped, chambered in 7-08. On the plus side I’d say the size compliments the little rifle. Bright, and light. A joy to pack and shoot.

I did buy an FXII 4x specifically for this rifle, but never mounted it the variable is that nice. The 4x would save a few ounces, but it almost floats away already.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:02 PM

A Leupold 1-4 variable or straight 4X compact always fit me with no issues at all and I can reach out with either.
Cat
Old 02-21-2019, 09:42 PM

Easy to get caught up in options. Both will be great for what purposes you have described. The vx3 is nice and the Swarovski glass has the wow factor. You won't be gaining any ability by changing to either from the viper. Just something nicer to look through. The Montana is a fine rifle. I would go with the z3.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:09 AM

Try to find a used lightweight Leupold? I didn't realize that they discontinued them until I went to buy one. Bought the last 2-7x33 I could find last year. Weighs 9 or 10 oz.
Fixed 4x or 6x I think are still available new.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I couldn’t tell the optical difference between the Z3, VX3i, and the Zeiss HD5 in low light condition at least for any practical Hunting use. What it all boils down to is reticle, weight and features imo. Out of these the VX3i has the best eye relief.

I have no expirience with the VX5
The VX5 scopes are great. The glass is very comparable to the Swaro Z3, and the turrets are fantastic. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one any day, however I wouldn’t advertise them as necessarily lightweight. The 2-10x42 model is slightly over 16oz.
If features are more important and a guy could give up a few ounces, then the VX5HD is excellent.
If weight is the main factor then the Swaro Z3 3-9x36 offers the best value of quality glass and features at a low weight. Although the 3-10x42 would be my preference.
If price becomes an issue, then the VX3i 2.5-8x36 offers the best bang for your buck. Great eye relief, lightweight, and good glass.
I have owned all of these scopes at one point, and it’s hard to go wrong with any of them.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowl91 View Post
I would go to the high end of your budget and get the Swaro, you won't be disappointed. I love Leupold as well and am a big fan, but if lightweight is your main goal, then the 3-9x36 or 3-10x42 Swaro would be my first choices.
I don't need a lightweight scope per se, I just think it's kind of strange when you see a lightweight rifle with a 2!lb scope on it.

My main concern is a more forgiving to eye box.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorsman12b View Post
Easy to get caught up in options. Both will be great for what purposes you have described. The vx3 is nice and the Swarovski glass has the wow factor. You won't be gaining any ability by changing to either from the viper. Just something nicer to look through. The Montana is a fine rifle. I would go with the z3.
You're right my Viper has served me well for years. Just wanted to treat myself to an upgrade.😀
Old 02-22-2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
You're right my Viper has served me well for years. Just wanted to treat myself to an upgrade.😀
Definitely go Swarovski then. You won't be itching to upgrade again in a year or two.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
I am a fan of the leupold 2x7 . Nothing fancy but scope is not bulky, can mount low and has good power range
The Leupold 2-7 and 2.5-8 is what comes first to mind when someone mentions a lightweight hunting scope.

I use them both on lighter weight rifles.

Quote:
I just think it's kind of strange when you see a lightweight rifle with a 2!lb scope on it.
Right!