Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-10-2003, 09:16 PM
Rub Sign

Default minors license

* * * * I'm a little confused. If you are under 18 and have a minors license, and permission from your parents can your legaly hunt alone? From what i have read i think you can but i'm not to sure.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Thanks a bunch,
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Joe
Old 12-11-2003, 07:54 AM
Rub Sign

Joe,

You have a right to be confused. What you can do with a Minor's Possession Licence is determined during an interview you have with your parent or guardian and a firearms officer. If the officer is convinced you do not require supervision while using the firearm, then you will be able to hunt alone (subject to provincial hunting regulations). For more information, here's the link to the "I am a Minor" fact sheet at the Firearms Centre.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:30 PM
Minors Lic

Default Minors Licence

I recently got a minors licence, and spent considerable time trying to figure out what I could do with it. At the interview I was told I could posses a firearm with the guidance of a liscened adult which was explained to me as them knowing and approving of when, where, and how I was using the gun. But I also noticed in the regulations it states on page 12 "It is unlawful to hunt with a firearm if you are under 18 years of age and not accompanied by a parent, legal guardian or by a person 18 years of age or older who has written permission of the parent or legal guardian." It seems to me that the Federal and Provincial laws seem to contradict each other, since the minors licence is a Federal licence. Can anyone clarify this for me?
Old 12-13-2003, 11:13 AM
Rub Sign

Default Re: Minors Licence

kenny,

The federal law has to do with firearms generally, and the provincial law has to do with firearms used for hunting. Both apply, so no, if you are in Alberta you cannot hunt alone with a firearm, and must be accompanied by an 18 year-old +.
Old 12-14-2003, 06:45 PM
minors lic

Default minors licence

Thanks. That makes sense, I guess I'll just have to buy a bow so I can go out by myself.