Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-18-2015, 02:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscosta View Post
I wonder if theyd eat corn like those giant carp they catch on tv
You might catch them with corn, barley or bread later in summer, but usually they prefer worms, especially in spring.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:56 AM
Banned

Well that is interesting, and you can dip net them as well! I will have to find out where and when to catch them, I am assuming there are no limits as well. Sounds like a blast to me, especially since perch are few and far in-between!

Last edited by edmhunter; 04-18-2015 at 06:22 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:24 AM
Banned

Disaster, where???

All I see is healthy fishes swimming.

Throw them in the bush????
Why waste food, these fish are tasty, grow quick and are easy to catch = perfect fish for table. I'd rather have this and be able to keep it for food than drive for 2 hours only to catch at a lake which for past 20 years If not more has 0 walleye limit, keeper size pike almost non existing.

And then look at these buggers, they make the water boil... blood too
Old 04-18-2015, 06:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
Disaster, where???

Why waste food, these fish are tasty, grow quick and are easy to catch = perfect fish for table. I'd rather have this and be able to keep it for food than drive for 2 hours only to catch at a lake which for past 20 years If not more has 0 walleye limit, keeper size pike almost non existing.

Where are the best places to fish for them and to see that water boil? That has got to be cool!

Nothing beats great tasting fresh fish for diner! I don't fish much in this province because of all the restrictions on limits, don't see the point in spending the cash it takes to go fishing only to catch and release and to come home with nada!
Old 04-18-2015, 06:51 AM
Banned

Look at the video in first post.

Move south, think we got more than we can handle

I like walleye, but after catching and releasing thousands, I'd rather spend time at a petting zoo. Sustainable resource....you just have to release everything you catch
Old 04-18-2015, 06:55 AM
Banned

Won't be able to move south, but it sounds like a fun couple of days, especially if you can come home with 100 lbs. of fish!

Went back to the first post, the OP didn't say which reservoir, guess a couple of calls to F&W are in order.

Last edited by edmhunter; 04-18-2015 at 07:05 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:07 AM
Banned

Bring fresh corn for big girls, worms for smaller fish. Light gear, sinker or a float, skinny type floats not bobber.

Also meal worms, maggots, bread squished into flakes....
Old 04-18-2015, 11:01 AM

I don't get it. Everyone seems ticked off about these fish being here but still it's top secret where to find them. I have been google searching to see where I can catch them around Calgary but no body of water is mentioned by name. I don't care if it's a pm but can someone throw a name out there of some water I can catch piles of these guys close to Calgary. This is the last time I'm asking so if I don't get any response I will shut up
Old 04-18-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds View Post
I don't get it. Everyone seems ticked off about these fish being here but still it's top secret where to find them. I have been google searching to see where I can catch them around Calgary but no body of water is mentioned by name. I don't care if it's a pm but can someone throw a name out there of some water I can catch piles of these guys close to Calgary. This is the last time I'm asking so if I don't get any response I will shut up
Yep !! For some reason the lake seems to be a secret ? Looks like the birds must of transferred them here to AB and dropped them into lake X.

Also, why is there a tinfoil shortage in S. AB?

Dodger.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:39 PM

letter of the day is "J" although I believe the one in the video was mentioned in the thread

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-18-2015, 06:53 PM
Banned

Look up "service berry", j reservoir, blood Indian, rosebud...
Old 04-18-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
read wwbirds post too

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-18-2015, 08:48 PM

ids i also agree with you that's why i also think this whole Persian carp thing is a hoax. i do believe it is in some of the reservoirs but i find it hard to believe its all over like the rumors are saying.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Oh!! I was thinking S.E. Of Calgary as mentioned earlier. looks like a road trip is due.

Dodger.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:39 PM
Banned

Try Langdon, just past the town. Last year that place had more fish than water.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:02 AM

Dewitt's pond 10mins north of Calgary chalk full of them...skinny float with corn or a piece of worm, pretty easy fishin!!
Old 04-19-2015, 07:16 AM

Default Carp fishing

Fishing for Carp ,really have you no shame , Carp slime is wAy worse
Than pike . Next ,mounted Burbot ...
Old 04-19-2015, 07:26 AM
Banned

Am I correct in assuming that since they are an invasive species that there are zero limits?
Old 04-19-2015, 08:11 AM

Not a hoax as far as the internet is concerned...

Here are some more links:

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/goldfish-a...stem-1.1867792

http://esrd.alberta.ca/recreation-pu...cies/fish.aspx

This is not new news, SundanceFisher from 2012:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=123988

If you want a good look at what they look like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSIKkCrJ2v8
Old 04-19-2015, 08:20 AM

Default Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by adogwiththumbs View Post
All the reservoirs SE of Calgary are boiling with them. Small bodies of water and large. The canals are full of them a month after initial flows start. These reservoirs are directly connected to both the Bow river, and Red Deer river. Fishing them out is pure fantasy. They are definitely here to stay. I have not tried them, but I do hope they taste good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight View Post
They are actually pretty good, when cooked properly. Much better than perch to my taste. I hope I'll have a chance to catch a few before they gone.
BTW, the best way to control prussian carp number is snakehead (it taste good too)
Quote:
Disaster, where???

jepril,

are you serious...? if you are I think you should do some research on these fish. They will wipe out all of our native fish by depleting the oxygen, they taste like chit as mentioned and they multiply so fast they will stunt and get no bigger than the one in the picture. It is a disaster they are an invasive species and don't belong here. As Wayne said, catch them and kill them!!!
Straight these fish are here to stay, and adding another invasive species like the snakehead to control the carp??? WOW!!!

adogwiththumbs,

You hit the nail on the head with your post, it is not a hoax! these things are everywhere and it is too late to do anything about it. I spoke with ESRD and they confirmed they are all over the irrigation canals, in the Bow, Chestermere, McGreggor, Travers, Little Bow, Crawling valley, Eagle, Namaka, and on and on. They have made it as far north as Red Deer and ESRD is doing nothing about it, because they really cant. They said catch as many as you can and kill them, do not put them back!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lds View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
ids i also agree with you that's why i also think this whole Persian carp thing is a hoax. i do believe it is in some of the reservoirs but i find it hard to believe its all over like the rumors are saying.
To all those that want to catch and kill these things...https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.305302,-113.5656321,13z that is where the video was filmed.
All the fishing in the world will not take care of this problem, it is not a hoax and it is a big deal!
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....
Old 04-19-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
Am I correct in assuming that since they are an invasive species that there are zero limits?
Yes, as long as the waterbody is open to fishing.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 04-19-2015 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:38 AM

Default This was bound to happen

Prussian Carp may wipe out Sport Angling in Alberta quicker
Than the Progressive Conservative Govt is, but highly unlikely .
IF this is true ,than reap the results of a Govt dragging it's fat
Butts in every area of resource management .
Over zealousness always says BS to me ......I am sure there is a segment
Of the Angling public that will be ecstatic over catching these fish .
Short of lime jars or C4 , the damage is done , if they can boil water
There already to many . Considering that the majority of the water and
Game fish were created by man in this province , the term Wild should be
Eliminated from all further discussions .
They taste bad because your palate is not attuned to the flavor of mud .
Or not enough sauce . Like Chili , oyster ,Hoisin, black bean , tamarin ,
And the likes . Actually you can buy a similar fish at Safeway , Basa
Fillet ,farm raised in the Mekong Sewer Delta .
Become more worldly , I say welcome Prussian Crap .
Old 04-19-2015, 08:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Yes, as long as the waterbody is open to fishing.

LC
Thanks LC, I am thinking of heading down south and catching 100 lbs. of them, then making fish cakes out of the meat. Fish cakes freeze pretty good and with the cost of them at the store, the trip would easily pay for itself.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:47 AM
Gone Hunting

Are we finally part of the global community?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-19-2015, 08:55 AM
Banned

This carp tastes great!

Do not confuse it with stinky over the counter carp that they sell at superstore. Those fish look sick in my opinion.

It is wrong to brand them as bottom feeders, these fish feed in entire water column.

From what I noticed, Alberta predatory fish are gobbling down as much as they can, Prussian carp are poor swimmers...pike and trout seem to be fully aware of this easy meal.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:09 AM

Catch as many as you can and feed to your dogs

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 04-19-2015, 09:15 AM

Default Blood starting to boil

Quote:
This carp tastes great!

Do not confuse it with stinky over the counter carp that they sell at superstore. Those fish look sick in my opinion.

It is wrong to brand them as bottom feeders, these fish feed in entire water column.

From what I noticed, Alberta predatory fish are gobbling down as much as they can, Prussian carp are poor swimmers...pike and trout seem to be fully aware of this easy meal.
Who branded them as bottom feeders? Of coarse the predatory fish are going to eat the carp. they will feed on them until the lake is so full of stunted carp that the oxygen level gets too low to support any other sport fish besides those damb carp, then that's all the lakes will have in them....happy fishing!!!!
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....
Old 04-19-2015, 09:19 AM

That's all we can hope for. Is that carp are nothing more than a food source for the predators. I have heard lots of rumours, "carp eat nothing but fish eggs", "carp use up all the available oxygen".

What I know for sure from first hand experience, they do have several fairly beefy barbs in their fins. Also, after using them as bait, side by side with smelts,minnows or small suckers, the pike/walleye do not seem too eager to go after them. Whether or not this is because they are a relatively new fish to their neighbourhood and they are just being cautious, I don't know. I do know for sure, at this time, in my chosen spots, they are FAR from the best bait available.
I hope we or they learn to love the taste!
Old 04-19-2015, 09:20 AM

well i hit alot of these lakes and ponds that were mentioned in the first few posts about this issue like dewitts, with the methods mentions along with other's that i met looking to catch some of these carps, no one has gotten a single bite or sign is why i am finding it hard to believe. obviously if the news and trout unlimited are reporting on them there is some truth to this issue i just haven't even seen any sign of them.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
well i hit alot of these lakes and ponds that were mentioned in the first few posts about this issue like dewitts, with the methods mentions along with other's that i met looking to catch some of these carps, no one has gotten a single bite or sign is why i am finding it hard to believe. obviously if the news and trout unlimited are reporting on them there is some truth to this issue i just haven't even seen any sign of them.
Have you tried weed lake by Langdon ?