Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Nope, I sight my .270 win 3" high at 100, with 130 grain bullets it is around 3" low at 300. Not exactly a laser beam but dead deer as far as I can shoot them.
I am not a long distance hunter and the above "rule of thumb" has worked well for me so far. Both in my 270 win and 308 win.

Like Duceman says flat is relative. For me MPBR of around 300yards is plenty flat enough for what I do.

When it comes to women anything less than a C is flat in my books but thats a discussion for another time and place ...
Old 12-22-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallAirFever View Post
I am not a long distance hunter and the above "rule of thumb" has worked well for me so far. Both in my 270 win and 308 win.

Like Duceman says flat is relative. For me MPBR of around 300yards is plenty flat enough for what I do.

When it comes to women anything less than a C is flat in my books but thats a discussion for another time and place ...

lets hear it for C's At any given time and place I'd rather discuss C's than Huskemaws.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
And I disagree. If I liked that idea I would have one. The more un-needed complications I can get rid of the better. I'm having trouble remembering the last animal I had to kill at over 200 yards, I can count on one hand those that I have shot at 300, why set up my rifle for a shot I might need to make once every 5 years? No thanks.
I bought mine specifically for MD and Elk. Hate to be under scoped with an animal I want to take and can't because my scope isn't capable and making a shot a guessing game, it has happened to me!
Old 12-22-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
I bought mine specifically for MD and Elk. Hate to be under scoped with an animal I want to take and can't because my scope isn't capable and making a shot a guessing game, it has happened to me!
Its happened to me to but I'm OK with that. Usually when faced with a shot I cant make I just hang back and watch, then set up better next time. Doesn't always work but it works well enough for me. The longer I hunt it seems like the shorter the shots get.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Its happened to me to but I'm OK with that. Usually when faced with a shot I cant make I just hang back and watch, then set up better next time. Doesn't always work but it works well enough for me. The longer I hunt it seems like the shorter the shots get.
I agree with you most of my shots are under 250 yards, but when they are not I prefer to eat Elk tenderloin, over tag soup! lol
Old 12-22-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
Nope it is a variable.... it varies with size of object and distance..... why is there less gravity on the moon?
Are we comparing ballistics on the moon to ballistics on earth?

I think you better go back and check you physics. Or just for fun, go to http://www.jbmballistics.com and use the simplified trajectory calculator; run it twice, changing only the weight of the bullet and compare the drop tables. Notice how if everything else is equal a 220 grain bullet has the same trajectory as 45 grain bullet. Of course there is no such thing as a 220 grain bullet and a 45 grain bullet with the same BC.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I agree with you most of my shots are under 250 yards, but when they are not I prefer to eat Elk tenderloin, over tag soup! lol
The other variable, at least for me, is that ability to find and use a steady shooting position. In the terrain I hunt being able to shoot from a prone position off of a bipod or other rest is like winning the lottery, even being able to shoot from a seated position off of shooting sticks is rare. If almost all my shots need to be made offhand or kneeling due to slash, tall grass, or underbrush there is very little point to rigging up a rifle for long range shooting. Even a using a "flat shooter" has limited value a lot of the time, I deffinatly am not comfortable shooting 300 yards from a kneeling position.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
The other variable, at least for me, is that ability to find and use a steady shooting position. In the terrain I hunt being able to shoot from a prone position off of a bipod or other rest is like winning the lottery, even being able to shoot from a seated position off of shooting sticks is rare. If almost all my shots need to be made offhand or kneeling due to slash, tall grass, or underbrush there is very little point to rigging up a rifle for long range shooting. Even a using a "flat shooter" has limited value a lot of the time.
I van shoot off hand at 500 with my set up, providing I have a clear shot in open terrain. No problem!
Old 12-22-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
Are we comparing ballistics on the moon to ballistics on earth?

I think you better go back and check you physics. Or just for fun, go to http://www.jbmballistics.com and use the simplified trajectory calculator; run it twice, changing only the weight of the bullet and compare the drop tables. Notice how if everything else is equal a 220 grain bullet has the same trajectory as 45 grain bullet. Of course there is no such thing as a 220 grain bullet and a 45 grain bullet with the same BC.

ARG
No need to check... using your own assumption.... everything else being equal would mean you are shooting in a vacuum.... and then BC is irrelevant!....so in that case a 45 grain bullet, a cannon ball and a feather would all have the same trajectory if initial velocity is equal.....
Old 12-22-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I van shoot off hand at 500 with my set up, providing I have a clear shot in open terrain. No problem!
You should bring your rig to the Drayton Valley rifle rodeo...you should have no issues shooing the interactive targets if you can shoot freehand at 500m

LC
Old 12-22-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
No need to check... using your own assumption.... everything else being equal would mean you are shooting in a vacuum.... and then BC is irrelevant!....so in that case a 45 grain bullet, a cannon ball and a feather would all have the same trajectory if initial velocity is equal.....
So is gravity a constant or not?

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
You should bring your rig to the Drayton Valley rifle rodeo...you should have no issues shooing the interactive targets if you can shoot freehand at 500m

LC
I was thinking this too. Id be very excited to see shooting of this level.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:48 PM
Banned

Quote:

LC
No problem L-C. Ask your father how I shot those mullies when I took him hunting with me, offhand as well as 500 yards shots, he will back up my claim. Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas
Old 12-22-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I can shoot at 500 with my set up, providing I have a bench, a solid rest and all the time in the world. No problem!
Fixed it. You're welcome
Old 12-22-2014, 01:50 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
This flat shooter topic comes up often. A fellow wants to discard his 30-06 for a more "flat" shooting .270WIN, or so on and so on. I would love to see a definition of a flat shooter vs one that isn't. Of course I'm not speaking of a 30-30 vs a 220 Swift, so let's stay within parameters. Why would one not consider a slightly higher hold over, and maybe at longer range a turret adjustment. Are folks that look for a flatter shooting caliber expecting it to do their homework for them in terms of a couple of inches which in terms of kill zone would make little to no difference at all. Flat shooting seems to be an overused and misunderstood phrase. Define flat shooting.
Flat shooter... well i reload my friend 300 win mag with 165 or 168 barnes ttsx and there is no need for hold over.. the combination shoot like a lazer beam up to 450 yards no problem.. last time i went to the range ( Maximum 300 yards )

he wanted me to sight the gun 4 inch high at 100 yards.. result was 7 inch high at 300 yards.. so i tuned everything so he dont need any hold over..

He is funny because he keep saying the bullet should start droping at 300 yard even 4 inch high at 100 yard with a 300 win mag... well no... actually the bullet keep shooting higher..

300 win mag is a solid choice for a flat shooter if you reload.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSako View Post
Flat shooter... well i reload my friend 300 win mag with 165 or 168 barnes ttsx and there is no need for hold over.. the combination shoot like a lazer beam up to 450 yards no problem.. last time i went to the range ( Maximum 300 yards )

he wanted me to sight the gun 4 inch high at 100 yards.. result was 7 inch high at 300 yards.. so i tuned everything so he dont need any hold over..

He is funny because he keep saying the bullet should start droping at 300 yard even 4 inch high at 100 yard with a 300 win mag... well no... actually the bullet keep shooting higher..

300 win mag is a solid choice for a flat shooter if you reload.

Factory are also excellent
Old 12-22-2014, 01:57 PM
Banned

i built a 6mm-284 i expect it to shoot pretty flat.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
No problem L-C. Ask your father how I shot those mullies when I took him hunting with me, offhand as well as 500 yards shots, he will back up my claim. Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas
I'll ask him but I am pretty sure he said it was about 200yards?

LC
Old 12-22-2014, 02:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'll ask him but I am pretty sure he said it was about 200yards?

LC
On the run right? Ask him who hit what at 500 yards? Also That moose I put in you're cooler a few years back, and thank you for that, 400 yards offhand with my 30-06 and Rainguard Elite. That moose was delicious thanks to my shooting and your cooler!
Old 12-22-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Features of the Huskemaw Blue Diamond Series 5-20x50 Rifle I own:

True BC Drop Compensation

Windage Compensation Technology Which is deadly accurate with a wind Metre.

Turret System w/Hunt Smart Reticle

Fast Focus Eyepiece.

700 yards, no Sweat!
All of which isn't of much value if you don't know the wind speed and direction all the way from your shooting position to the target. Unfortunately, a wind meter can only measure the wind speed and direction at one location, and the wind speed and direction can vary considerably over 700 yards.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
All of which isn't of much value if you don't know the wind speed and direction all the way from your shooting position to the target. Unfortunately, a wind meter can only measure the wind speed and direction at one location, and the wind speed and direction can vary considerably over 700 yards.
Moral to the story is, let me guess......................don't take stupid shots under windy conditions, am I right?
Old 12-22-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Moral to the story is, let me guess......................don't take stupid shots under windy conditions, am I right?
The moral of the story is that you can't use technology to eliminate all of the guess work, even though some people wish that it was the case. Even a very small error in windage estimation can result in a missed or wounded animal at 700 yards.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
So is gravity a constant or not?

ARG
haha touche
Old 12-22-2014, 02:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The moral of the story is that you can't use technology to eliminate all of the guess work, even though some people wish that it was the case. Even a very small error in windage estimation can result in a missed or wounded animal at 700 yards.
Agreed that is exactly why you should not take that type of shot unless..............

1. You are an excellent shot and know what you are doing and 2. You own the right equipment!
Old 12-22-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:

LC
i would like to be witness to these skills as well; always room to learn!

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:50 PM
Banned

I do not have a problem with that!
Old 12-22-2014, 03:15 PM

IMHO this discussion, while interesting, is essenially meaningless to the majority of hunters. It only really matters to those on the extreme edges... those truly capable of "long distance" hunting, competitive target shooters, etc. A half inch or an inch means nothing to those of us who would never trust ourselves to take a shot over 300 or 350 yards.
Unfortunately, when I bought my first rifle I was too inexperienced to realize this and agonized over which caliber to get, pouring over ballistics tables, etc... and of course posting my own ever-popular "What's the best..." thread.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:20 PM

Dad said no deer were taken at over 200yards but a few rocks were smacked, with the use of a rest, out at extended ranges. He said he recalls one doe required a follow up shot and travelled over 150 yards from point of first impact.

I wasn't there and Dad doesn't play on the Internet.

LC
Old 12-22-2014, 03:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Dad said no deer were taken at over 200yards but a few rocks were smacked, with the use of a rest, out at extended ranges. He said he recalls one doe required a follow up shot and travelled over 150 yards from point of first impact.

I wasn't there and Dad doesn't play on the Internet.

LC
Really!!! Wow must have been on a different hunt! Did he also tell you that he shot a button buck and the other one as well. Did he not tell you that he could not hit a rock at 500 yards with his 300 Win Mag in a prone position in all his tries and that I hit it every time with my 30-06 every time?
Old 12-22-2014, 03:36 PM
Banned

PS L-C, the deer I shot on the run was at about 200 yards, it did go an additional 100 or so yards, but was stone dead when I got to it. Also I have had deer go over 100 yards with a bow and have had deer run quite a way heart shot and one big bear I killed with my 12 gauge went about 100 yards without any lungs, or liver left. It's amazing what adrenalin does!
Closed Thread