Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-16-2021, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
That is not a Ballistic Tip that is a different lead free bullet offered by Nosler. Nosler does sell the Ballistic Tip for the 30-30, and it does have a lead core, but a rounded tip. I posted a picture of the actual 30-30 Ballistic Tip ammunition in post #18.
Can you find that bullet for sale or only ammunition with the bullet?
Old 11-16-2021, 11:02 AM

Nosler Posted for 1800 fps

What the Op actually got

My eyes must be getting old because those two don't look remotely the same to me.

Two Hornady 170 grain Interlocks from a 30-30, had an initial MV of about 2000 FPs, and one 45-70 300 grain shot at MV of 1500 FPS. This is what they should look like in my opinion.

Last edited by Dean2; 11-16-2021 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Can you find that bullet for sale or only ammunition with the bullet?
It looks like it is only available as factory ammunition.
Old 11-16-2021, 01:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

What the Op actually got

My eyes must be getting old because those two don't look remotely the same to me.

Two Hornady 170 grain Interlocks from a 30-30, had an initial MV of about 2000 FPs, and one 45-70 300 grain shot at MV of 1500 FPS. This is what they should look like in my opinion.

The middle bullet looks like it’s on the verge of shedding a few petals
The bottom view of the 45/70 doesn’t appear to have expanded that much either

Having a bullet consistently expand at low velocities is difficult
200 fps will make a huge difference
We experienced the same thing with muzzle loaders. When we steered increasing the velocity. Bullets that we success with started disintegrating
Old 11-16-2021, 09:52 PM

Saber tip and Remington I think? sold a HUGE silver tipped bullet as well, both were junk.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Saber tip and Remington I think? sold a HUGE silver tipped bullet as well, both were junk.

I remember the Sabre Tip. Years ahead of any other bullets at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSlam View Post

What about the old CCI ( bronze point expanding ) BPE bullets 180gr in 30 cal, great bullets at 308 and 30-06 velocities, I still have some in my stash

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-17-2021, 01:36 PM

When I started hunting, I started with a 30-30, using the Saber Tips, and the Silver Tips. We also had some Pneumatic Tips around, but I never hunted with them.
Old 11-17-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:

I remember my father taking a pile of ammo to hunting camps he was invited to, usually .30/30,303, 270.3006,
And the odd 300 and 7 mag. Saber Tips, KKSP'S and CPE'S
Being an industry rep., he would never take hand loads for ammo but always used C.I.L. factory stuff and would find out who was shooting what for ammo for the guys in the camp he was a guest of.
I still have a bunch of 150 and 180 grain Saber Tips and CPE's in .30 and .303 that I occasionally Load for the range .
Cat
Old 11-17-2021, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post

I remember my father taking a pile of ammo to hunting camps he was invited to, usually .30/30,303, 270.3006,
Being an industry rep., he would never take hand loads for ammo but always used C.I.L. factory stuff and would find out who was shooting what for ammo for the guys in the camp he was a guest of.
I still have a bunch of 150 and 180 grain Saber Tips and CPE's in .30 and .303 that I occasionally Load for the range .
Cat

I can remember using the 215gr KKSP .303
You could almost see the bullet going through the air.
Old 11-17-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I can remember using the 215gr KKSP .303
You could almost see the bullet going through the air.
I have shot a few moose and a pile of deer with them, only ever recovered one !
At 252 yards the last moose I shot had an exit of about 5/8 to 3/4 inches . Didn't go 20 LOL
Cat
Old 11-17-2021, 02:23 PM

Quote:
I have shot a few moose and a pile of deer with them, only ever recovered one !
At 252 yards the last moose I shot had an exit of about 5/8 to 3/4 inches . Didn't go 20 LOL
Cat

Nice! That’s quite the terminal performance. Another one was the 160gr in 6.5x55. Shot many of those from a M96.
Old 11-17-2021, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Nice! That’s quite the terminal performance. Another one was the 160gr in 6.5x55. Shot many of those from a M96.
Those danged 160's just keep going !
IoDed some fir a buddy for his Krag 6.5x5ms.
I didn't load them heavy because of the action , but he killed two deer out past 200 yards with them .
Cat
Old 11-17-2021, 04:43 PM

Quote:

Cat

Used up all the 270 first due to stellar performance huh? Good man. 7mm right after I bet.

I'll probably end up shooting the slow stuff too one day. When I get reeeeaally old.

Kidding. The Whelen isn't exactly fast. Hits with a good thump tho.
Old 11-17-2021, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Used up all the 270 first due to stellar performance huh? Good man. 7mm right after I bet.

I'll probably end up shooting the slow stuff too one day. When I get reeeeaally old.

Kidding. The Whelen isn't exactly fast. Hits with a good thump tho.
Actually no.
He never personally shot a 270 except for a very few years when we lived in Manitoba , same as the '06. Most of his hunting was done with a .303 Enfield he had built a one piece stock for. Added an extra action. Screw and but a recoil lug for it .
I only ever recal him shooting a deer with the '06 once .
He was not a fan of the .270 BTW.
Cat
Old 11-17-2021, 04:54 PM

I tried them in my 7mm mag and found they grenaded
Old 11-17-2021, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Actually no.
He never personally shot a 270 except for a very few years when we lived in Manitoba , same as the '06. Most of his hunting was done with a .303 Enfield he had built a one piece stock for. Added an extra action. Screw and but a recoil lug for it .
I only ever recal him shooting a deer with the '06 once .
He was not a fan of the .270 BTW.
Cat

Ahem. Jack and I forgive you both.

Hey if you are looking for a cheap .303 carbine I know where you can probably find one. It's in the South Sask River valley between Stewart Valley and Kyle Sask. Been there since 1976 but I bet with a little work you can pry it out of that poplar tree I left it embedded in, remove a hint of rust, and slap it in a new stock. Voila. Got yourself a new shooter.

I got it at McLeods the year before for $20.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:38 PM

Quote:

I think that’s what I paid also. If I remember right the Winchester model 100 and the model 88 were almost a hundred bucks.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

What the Op actually got

I agree the ballistic tip is a cup and core bullet. It should mushroom easily. It seems the velocity was below its minimum expansion threshold. I’d be looking at a different bullet for better lower speed performance. Those 170gr interlocks look to have preformed well.
Old 11-17-2021, 07:13 PM

Default design theft

Quote:

Nosler got sued for making a copy of that bullet back in the day.
Old 11-17-2021, 07:18 PM

Quote:

Hey if you are looking for a cheap .303 carbine I know where you can probably find one. It's in the South Sask River valley between Stewart Valley and Kyle Sask. Been there since 1976 but I bet with a little work you can pry it out of that poplar tree I left it embedded in, remove a hint of rust, and slap it in a new stock. Voila. Got yourself a new shooter.

A bit of buffing and that Enfield will be good as new!
BTW my father and Elmer Keith agreed on a lot of things when it came to pistols , rifles and Mr. O'Connor
Cat
Old 11-17-2021, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
I think that’s what I paid also. If I remember right the Winchester model 100 and the model 88 were almost a hundred bucks.

Same as I remember. Dang we're old Bob. Win Model 94...$99. Cooey .22 for $25.

Hell, I think I bought that Enfield at Mcleods in the Golden Mile shopping centre in Regina, and carried it home on the bus. Wonder how that would go over these days?
Old 11-17-2021, 09:35 PM

Quote:
A bit of buffing and that Enfield will be good as new!
BTW my father and Elmer Keith agreed on a lot of things when it came to pistols , rifles and Mr. O'Connor
Cat

Should have a nice patina now I'd bet. I'd try to preserve that.

Elmer was a lot of things that's for sure. Probably didnt think much of Roy W either. Lots of old guys with lots of opinions. Mostly against anything new fangled.
Old 11-17-2021, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Should have a nice patina now I'd bet. I'd try to preserve that.

Lots of old guys with lots of opinions. Mostly against anything new fangled.
In reality I think it has more to do with their personalities, Mr. Keith designed several wildcats and help invent / design several models of revolver for Colt as well as the .44 Magnum so he was not against new things . He preffered heavy for caliber bullets as opposed to light bullets going extremely fast however, that is for sure .

The Ballistic Tip as it is has changed a lot as was mentioned, I will never forget two hard quartering shots at less than 150 yards on a White Tail that did not penetrate. They were from a 25/06.
A 30/06 finished the job , otherwise we would never have found out what happened
Cat
Old 11-26-2021, 11:28 PM

Gmx all the way
Old 12-05-2021, 12:39 AM

Default Huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Eagle View Post
I had the opposite issue… the 30 cal 150 grainers when driven at 300 wsm velocity would not penetrate through a jug of washer fluid. Just expanded and blew apart.

I’m actually surprised that the expansion seems so small on your recovered bullet.
Who shoots at washer fluid?
I use 165 Bal tips in my 300 WSM and its deadly on all big game. Im not sure a jug of fluid is a good tissue representation. But I am surprised to hear this.
Old 12-05-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Who shoots at washer fluid?
I use 165 Bal tips in my 300 WSM and its deadly on all big game. Im not sure a jug of fluid is a good tissue representation. But I am surprised to hear this.
Just to correct my statement. An empty jug from washer fluid then filled with water.

We have found two really good reasons to do this. I gives a good idea of how bullets will perform when hitting some resistance. It might not be scientific, but with a body being made up mostly of water it is a cheap way to see what will happen to the bullet.

The other thing they work great for is when taking out new shooters. If the hit the jug results are dramatic. Especially at closer ranges. It helps to give them the wow factor to draw them in more. Also helps to train to keep your eyes open as you want to see the outcome.
Old 12-05-2021, 09:54 AM
Banned

Bullets dont respond well when they hit water
Thats why most tests are done with ballistics gel
Old 12-05-2021, 10:07 AM
Banned

i''ve been using the 140 gr bt in my 270 for a few years now....but i'm beginning to question my loyalty. the last bull elk i shot was @400 yds. recovered the bullet under the far side skin, but was a little surprised that it hadn't retained much weight. this season, i shot a cow elk broadside @400 yds and got a complete pass through. a couple weeks later, i shot a whitetail buck @150 yds and the bullets (2) grenaded. only found the back end of the copper under the far side skin.

not thinking that this is the type of performance i'm looking for.
Old 12-05-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
i''ve been using the 140 gr bt in my 270 for a few years now....but i'm beginning to question my loyalty. the last bull elk i shot was @400 yds. recovered the bullet under the far side skin, but was a little surprised that it hadn't retained much weight. this season, i shot a cow elk broadside @400 yds and got a complete pass through. a couple weeks later, i shot a whitetail buck @150 yds and the bullets (2) grenaded. only found the back end of the copper under the far side skin.

not thinking that this is the type of performance i'm looking for.
A bullet only has to fail to perform properly one time and I quit using them. I go looking for something better. Barnes Copper if you have the velocity, Nosler Partition, and Hornady Interlocks or bonded have been my go to bullets for years.