Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-19-2021, 12:35 PM

Default Looking for feedback on Swaro BRH reticle

I have talked myself into needing a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 scope. I need to know if the BRH reticle, which seems very fine to me, is usable in low light, twilight or brush conditions. I am not a fan of turning dials in hunting situations , but I do really like Swarovski’s regular plex reticle…Your experience with the BRH reticle is appreciated.

Bruce
Old 11-19-2021, 12:45 PM

Every Rifle i own has a BRH reticle. I like them. They are good in all light conditions. The BRX reticle has the thinner reticle. I have no problem with the BRH. I just put the same scope on my 223 for this winter. Cant wait to poke some holes in the yotes.
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" 1935-Adolf Hitler
Old 11-19-2021, 12:48 PM

It’s fine. I’ll post a couple pictures of some options

Seriously consider a meopta bdc3 but checkout how it matches your ballistics and the way you hunt/shoot.
IMG_1869.jpg

The swaro is great in the fact that it is a mil based reticle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2021, 12:52 PM

IMG_1873.jpg

Did this one work? Meopta bdc3 and the scope is at 6 power.

Old 11-19-2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
It’s fine. I’ll post a couple pictures of some options

Seriously consider a meopta bdc3 but checkout how it matches your ballistics and the way you hunt/shoot.
Attachment 176406

The swaro is great in the fact that it is a mil based reticle.

Sorry.

Believe this is the brh reticle with the Mildots.

The subs tensions look no different that the main crosshair lines. IMG_1874.jpg

Old 11-19-2021, 01:08 PM
Banned

I prefer not to have a Christmas tree reticle on a second focal plane scope
Turrets with a zero stop like Swarovski has is far easier to manage. I can confirm my turret is a zero without even looking. Having to always shoot at max magnification for the reticle to calibrated isn’t always the best in my opinion
Old 11-19-2021, 01:16 PM

I use the BRH reticles (I'd use BRX if vision was better in my right eye). I don't find them that busy at all and they are quick and easy if you have the ranges on supplied stickers attached to the inside of your scope cover
Old 11-19-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I prefer not to have a Christmas tree reticle on a second focal plane scope
Turrets with a zero stop like Swarovski has is far easier to manage. I can confirm my turret is a zero without even looking. Having to always shoot at max magnification for the reticle to calibrated isn’t always the best in my opinion
There is a lot of truth to this. On an 18x scope, you will find yourself wanting to use the reticle on shots from 10-18 power and everywhere in between.

When you do that, the reticle isn't accurate and the math to do the corrections becomes annoying when first focal plane scopes are available.
Old 11-19-2021, 03:31 PM

I have two z5 3.5-18 scopes with the BRH reticle, and they work fine for me. I zero at 200m, and at under 300yards, I just use the main reticle. At 300 yards and beyond, I adjust to maximum magnification, and choose the right hash mark. The BRH is heavy enough to see in low light.
Old 11-19-2021, 05:40 PM

I've got both BRH & BRX reticles on Swaro scopes. BRH is highly visible in all light conditions. The BRX is the fine cousin.
Old 11-19-2021, 06:36 PM
Banned

https://www.boone-crockett.org/dial-or-hold
Old 11-19-2021, 07:15 PM

Quote:
From that link

Quote:
I am absolutely convinced that dialing the range is the most precise method. It is also the most time-consuming and, quite honestly, the most fraught with operator error! Today, with long-range shooting so popular, every hunting guide the world over has stories about hunters mis-dialing their scopes or forgetting to dial back down.
While I use scopes with turrets for target and varmints, I use the BRH reticle for big game, because quite often, I don't have time to took at a chart, and then twist turrets while big game hunting. It's way quicker to just turn the magnification all the way, then pick a hash mark and shoot. I don't even need to look at the magnification setting, just turn it all the way to max.
Old 11-20-2021, 06:34 AM

I have looked through the brx and the brh but never actually used one. The two scopes that I prefer for hunting are either a leupold with a CDS or NF MOA reticle. The nice thing about the CDS is you don’t need a drop chart if you have given Korth good information when you got your turret cut. The downside is your now stuck to that specific load.
Lately I’ve been packing my Tikka 257wby, it wears a NF SHV with the MOA reticle. Zeroed at 300 yards, I’ve verified the drop in 50 yard increments and built a drop chart out to 700 yards. The nice thing about this reticle is I can change loads and not have to buy another turret. The downside is you still need to have a laminated drop chart taped to your stock.
Personally I think if you have a great load for your rifle, a accurate CDS turret and quality range finding Binos you should be in great shape for making accurate shots at extended ranges. The limiting factor is the guy behind the trigger.
Old 11-20-2021, 08:13 AM
Banned

You can get a custom turret for virtually any scope from Kenton industries
Swarovski does them in house as well
Old 11-20-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
From that link

While I use scopes with turrets for target and varmints, I use the BRH reticle for big game, because quite often, I don't have time to took at a chart, and then twist turrets while big game hunting. It's way quicker to just turn the magnification all the way, then pick a hash mark and shoot. I don't even need to look at the magnification setting, just turn it all the way to max.

I agree with Elk, as I often do. Have a Z5 3.5x18x44 BRX on my main hunting rifle. Have used it for over 15 years. Never had any problems seeing the reticle, even in real low light. The BRH is quite a bit thicker, so even if you have not great eyes it should be just fine. The holdover cross hairs work very well, have used them on game out to 700 yards.

Last edited by Dean2; 11-20-2021 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-20-2021, 04:42 PM

Thank you to all who shared their experience. I really ought to have mentioned that the scope will be mounted to my amazingly accurate 5.5 lb (bare) 280 Rem, which I would like to keep as light and trim as possible. Currently it wears a 4.5-14x 40 VX3 with the B&C reticle, which I like, and it works well out to 600 yards. The Swaro would provide more magnification and aiming points to well past 750, with only a little gain in bulk or weight over the Leupold. I don't really think I will be shooting that far, but my old eyes seem to like more magnification the older I get. I am also doing all of my hunting here with antler point restrictions (6pt elk, 4 pt mule deer) so 18x would be like having a mini spotting scope on board.

I have looked through the BRH, the BRX, and two versions of the turret (plex and 4w) at my lgs. The BRH seemed a bit thin to me but if you folks have no issues with it then I will give it a shot, so to speak.

Thanks again,
Bruce
Old 11-20-2021, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
Thank you to all who shared their experience. I really ought to have mentioned that the scope will be mounted to my amazingly accurate 5.5 lb (bare) 280 Rem, which I would like to keep as light and trim as possible. Currently it wears a 4.5-14x 40 VX3 with the B&C reticle, which I like, and it works well out to 600 yards. The Swaro would provide more magnification and aiming points to well past 750, with only a little gain in bulk or weight over the Leupold. I don't really think I will be shooting that far, but my old eyes seem to like more magnification the older I get. I am also doing all of my hunting here with antler point restrictions (6pt elk, 4 pt mule deer) so 18x would be like having a mini spotting scope on board.

I have looked through the BRH, the BRX, and two versions of the turret (plex and 4w) at my lgs. The BRH seemed a bit thin to me but if you folks have no issues with it then I will give it a shot, so to speak.

Thanks again,
Bruce
If you decide u don't like it they resell quickly. I would be more than happy to pick it up if it doesn't suit u. Just make sure you don't over torque the rings. Swaro hate ring marks or any type of crush.
Old 11-20-2021, 07:12 PM

I have several Swaros with the BRX and BRH reticles. My fav is the Z3 but I also have a couple of the Z5s. For each of my Z5s, I ran the balistics for both 10X and 18X, made laminated cards and attached them to the butt. For the Z3s, I only run the 10X. I can see the finer BRX very well in lower light conditions or against a backdrop of brush. But, as my eyes are starting to change with age, I find I am starting to prefer the heavier BRH.
Old 11-22-2021, 07:31 PM

Ordered it with the BRH reticle today, PR has it in the mail already.
Old 11-22-2021, 07:46 PM

That turret has a disappointing amount of rotation for its price point and magnification. I have it with the plex reticle and it runs out of dial at 625m with a 300wm. Had to dial it down to 7 power and use the taper point of the cross hair to make a 800m shot with the assistance of Sterlokpro. The zeiss conquest v4 has endless dial and better reticle choices with a more user friendly dial making it a better long range shooter with the drawback of 16 power max.
Old 11-22-2021, 07:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
That turret has a disappointing amount of rotation for its price point and magnification. I have it with the plex reticle and it runs out of dial at 625m with a 300wm. Had to dial it down to 7 power and use the taper point of the cross hair to make a 800m shot with the assistance of Sterlokpro. The zeiss conquest v4 has endless dial and better reticle choices with a more user friendly dial making it a better long range shooter with the drawback of 16 power max.
You need a 20 or 30 moa rail

It has a 1” tube and is catering to the ultra light crowd…
There are some compromises
Old 11-22-2021, 07:53 PM

Quote:
You need a 20 or 30 moa rail
Or a scope more suited for the task at hand. I dont think it’s the scope running out of dial I think it’s the way it’s built. Just like some of the lupold scopes the zero stop won’t let it go past a fixed point.
Old 11-22-2021, 07:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Or a scope more suited for the task at hand.
Pick your task
Climbing mountains with a ultra light scope or shooting long distances
Can’t have both
Old 11-22-2021, 08:00 PM

I have 2 of the Zeiss Z4s and two Swaro Z5s. On my hunting rifle I prefer the Swaro. The Zeiss are great scopes but I am not a fan of dialing for dollars when I am hunting. I rarely have a lot of time to futz around. Most of the time I do not even have time to range the actual animal, that is why I pre-range landmarks so I know how far away they are when they step out. If the hunting u do allows u the time to dial the Zeiss or a Nightforce would be better options.
Old 11-22-2021, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Pick your task
Climbing mountains with a ultra light scope or shooting long distances
Can’t have both
Exactly. This is for my go to lightweight (sub 7 lb all in) hiking/hunting rifle. According to the Swaro calculator I should be able to get to 750+ yds with the stadia lines. Realistically in my part of the world 600 yds is a long shot.

I have a 11 lb 300 WM with a dial up Sightron if I wish to shoot longer distances. But packing that thing sucks...
Old 11-22-2021, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
Exactly. This is for my go to lightweight (sub 7 lb all in) hiking/hunting rifle. According to the Swaro calculator I should be able to get to 750+ yds with the stadia lines. Realistically in my part of the world 600 yds is a long shot.

I have a 11 lb 300 WM with a dial up Sightron if I wish to shoot longer distances. But packing that thing sucks...
Should come with a bunch of stickers with hashmarks and space to write distance. I trim them up and stick them inside the lens cover on the ocular. Right there handy when you need it
Old 11-23-2021, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Should come with a bunch of stickers with hashmarks and space to write distance. I trim them up and stick them inside the lens cover on the ocular. Right there handy when you need it
I chose the BRH for my 7mmstw, because when zeroed at 200m, the next hash marks fall very close at 300,400, and 500 yards, which is as far as I like to shoot at big game animals. My 6.5 PRC isn't quite as good, with the hashmarks at 200m, and 300 and 400, and 465 , and 535 yards. So the reality is, I don't have any charts to look at, I can remember 465 and 535 yards quite easily. If I am tempted to shoot farther, I do remember 575 and 645 yards for the 7mmstw, and 600 yards for the 6.5PRC.