Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-08-2021, 07:35 AM

Default AICS Magazines

I have a Magpul stock with a Magpul AICS magazine. Are AICS mags truly compatible regardless of brand? I'm not super fond of the all plastic magpul and noticed that MDT has a hybrid with metal feed lips.
Old 11-08-2021, 07:52 AM
Banned

I’ve heard the mdt ones are pretty sweet
Old 11-08-2021, 08:01 AM

I now have a single MDT mag, before that, in an old rifle build I had a Ruger AICS mag. The Ruger one worked but I worried about durability. I have no issues with the MDT Hybrid. When/if I look for a new mag, I'd have no issues with the MDT.
Old 11-08-2021, 05:20 PM

I have 3 MDT mags, I love them. I basically only use one and its had a few hundred rounds through it without issue. Ive only used them in a MDT chassis, however I lent one to my buddy at the range one day and he used it with no problems in his stock, I forget the brand but it was an AICS mag well.
Old 11-08-2021, 05:36 PM

MDT I believe makes an all metal one, an all plastic one, and a plastic one with metal feed lips.

I used a 3rd all plastic magazine from MDT on a prior hunt just last week and actually preferred the plastic to the metal magazine because it was quieter and was flush with the bottom of the stock

I also have an all metal accurate mag and its great too.

What I have noticed... is sometimes the feed lips on the mag need to be slightly adjusted. You can only do this on the metal lipped ones.

I have also found they vary in size by tolerances and some will fight tighter than others.

Lastly, sometimes the springs can be too strong and it works to take the spring out and clamp down on the spring ends with some pliers a little.

Overall, yes, they are all supposed to be interchangeable
Old 11-14-2021, 07:19 AM

My polymer mags have served me well. I have an aics mdt platform but in 223, for which the hybrid and metal mags are not an option. They are working on it, but so far so good!