Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-06-2021, 10:39 PM

Default Varadero Cuba Fishing

Going to Cuba, staying in Varadero the first week of December. While I know there are threads to be found, many are dated and lack what I'm seeking.

I'm hoping to go fishing. I've once been deep sea fishing in Mexico and was underwhelmed by the price and experience. Trolling around, waiting for my turn in the "seat" where I get to sit for 20 min in hopes a fish bites so I can be the one to land it. All that time and money to watch someone else catch the one mahi mahi of the day. Maybe I got swindled. I didn't do much research. Beats me. But I'm not so keen on the idea of catching one or two amazing fish... maybe.

I would prefer to drift and/or jig or fish shallower or whatever and catch more fish. Is this what is referred to as inshore fishing maybe. I want to be busy. I don't care enough about a marlin. I'd also love to catch a meal if that's even legal.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Specific outfits, places, etc? Do I go down to the marinw and hire a local? Do I just rent gear and cast from shore?
Educate a land locked hick. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2021, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Eh View Post
Going to Cuba, staying in Varadero the first week of December. While I know there are threads to be found, many are dated and lack what I'm seeking.

I'm hoping to go fishing. I've once been deep sea fishing in Mexico and was underwhelmed by the price and experience. Trolling around, waiting for my turn in the "seat" where I get to sit for 20 min in hopes a fish bites so I can be the one to land it. All that time and money to watch someone else catch the one mahi mahi of the day. Maybe I got swindled. I didn't do much research. Beats me. But I'm not so keen on the idea of catching one or two amazing fish... maybe.

I would prefer to drift and/or jig or fish shallower or whatever and catch more fish. Is this what is referred to as inshore fishing maybe. I want to be busy. I don't care enough about a marlin. I'd also love to catch a meal if that's even legal.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Specific outfits, places, etc? Do I go down to the marinw and hire a local? Do I just rent gear and cast from shore?
Educate a land locked hick. Thanks.
A friend is a guide down there. Can organize fishing trips for bonefish to Las Salinas flats fishing and also to the Tarpon river in Zapata National Park.

He has guided many of my friends and myself. He is a very smart guy… excellent guide and speaks very fluent English.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-09-2021, 09:24 AM

I would also be interested in the contact info for a December trip. Thanks
Old 11-09-2021, 10:27 AM

If your staying on the Varadero peninsula consider researching the Marina Marlin Chapelin in Varadero.

Its been a number of years but the last time I was out there we rented a boat and crew through them. We rented the entire boat, just me my wife, the skipper and his mate.

The boat wasn't overly large, had a capacity of up to 4 or 5 deep sea fishing stations, but it was a brand new fiberglass hulled boat.

Never caught anything but barracuda, but had a blast. The crew was excellent, spoken broken English, provided use with guidance using the fishing tackle and provided us with an ample supply of chilled beer.

The Captain pre warned us before departing that it was highly unlikely that Marlin would strike because of the off season but that there was lots of other species, barracuda would give us a good fight.

As we were on our way to the fishing spot I asked the Captain if he would be able to catch some lobster on the way back and serve it up. Not a problem for an extra fee he said and asked that we keep that extra amongst ourselves. On our way back, he positioned the boat towards some shallow reefs and the mate dove in to retreive 6 massive rock lobsters. They cooked the lobster in the galley and served us the lobster with a couple bottles of chilled white wine. Just me and my wife on deck eating lobster, drinking wine all by ourselves

One of the most memorable holiday excursions I ever had
Old 11-09-2021, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearNoFish View Post
I would also be interested in the contact info for a December trip. Thanks
his email address is in the link. It will be interesting to see how the government blocks the internet over the next few weeks. As it is Cuba... it can be a delay for Alfredo to get back to you.

For the tarpon river

http://www.iwanttofish.com/app/dkfis...ss.php?id=3307

You can hear Alfredo chatting in this video at the river.

https://youtu.be/oKAglhnvRQ0

For the flats fishing

http://www.iwanttofish.com/app/dkfis...ss.php?id=3308

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRC3JiIeMTk

I have stayed in Varadero and done the tarpon river. I have also had friends do both. There is drive to get to the south side of the island from Varadero however so far the people I have passed along his info to have done very well on the fishing.

Alfredo can arrange the timing and costs and taxi etc. and you pay there but check with him.

While I was mostly fly fishing I did chuck some big plugs at the larger cudas that were too far away to get to. Amazing fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8A1fC0J12o
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-10-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
his email address is in the link. It will be interesting to see how the government blocks the internet over the next few weeks. As it is Cuba... it can be a delay for Alfredo to get back to you.

For the tarpon river

http://www.iwanttofish.com/app/dkfis...ss.php?id=3307

You can hear Alfredo chatting in this video at the river.

https://youtu.be/oKAglhnvRQ0

For the flats fishing

http://www.iwanttofish.com/app/dkfis...ss.php?id=3308

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRC3JiIeMTk

I have stayed in Varadero and done the tarpon river. I have also had friends do both. There is drive to get to the south side of the island from Varadero however so far the people I have passed along his info to have done very well on the fishing.

Alfredo can arrange the timing and costs and taxi etc. and you pay there but check with him.

While I was mostly fly fishing I did chuck some big plugs at the larger cudas that were too far away to get to. Amazing fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8A1fC0J12o
Alfredo got back to me and they are reopening the fishing at the end of November so you should be in luck if you contact him via email.
Old 12-21-2021, 10:11 AM

Alfredo replied back with a price of 670 USD per day plus 150 USD for a taxi. Is that the going rate in Cuba? I took a Tarpon boat on the flats from Islamorada for 800 USD last winter.
Old 12-21-2021, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Alfredo replied back with a price of 670 USD per day plus 150 USD for a taxi. Is that the going rate in Cuba? I took a Tarpon boat on the flats from Islamorada for 800 USD last winter.
The taxi is a very long drive.

The price for fishing is a fixed price set by the cuban government.

Cuba isn’t the cheap place like 15 years ago.

The tarpon river is a cool place to go. There is a giant freshwater spring flowing into the river.

Manatees can be found in the river. Lots of turtles and Chinese catfish. I’ve caught them.

Snook, mangrove snapper and tarpon in the river.

Alfredo is the best guide.
Old 12-21-2021, 07:59 PM

Quote:
The $670 is for two anglers in the same boat is that correct?
Old 12-21-2021, 09:37 PM

Quote:

The tarpon river is a cool place to go. There is a giant freshwater spring flowing into the river.

Manatees can be found in the river. Lots of turtles and Chinese catfish. I’ve caught them.

If you're looking for cheap guided fishing in Cuba, Cayo Coco is the place to go!
Old 12-21-2021, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpro View Post
If you're looking for cheap guided fishing in Cuba, Cayo Coco is the place to go!
The Zapata area was about $500 CUC for the longest time. For a single. The taxi prices have gone up.

Sounds like all of Cuba has gone up.

To me it seems like Cuba should offer cheap deals to Canadians to pack in their fishing spots and get some top money and tourist money flowing fast.

When the Americans were expected to open up their trips to Cuba… the Cubans jacked their prices. Cayo Coco went from $1800 fishing for 6 days on a live aboard boat to $8000. Didn’t help Avalon bought up most businesses.
Old 12-25-2021, 12:09 AM

Default How long is the drive

From veradaro how long is the drive ?

Quote:

Old 12-25-2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Its been a while for me, but if memory serves me correct it is 145K. Veradaro is the extreme north of the country.
Old 12-25-2021, 10:53 PM

Quote:
If I recall last time it was a 2 hour drive to the tarpon river and 3.5 to the bonefish flats. One way.