Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-06-2021, 12:04 PM

Default Winchester SX4

Can anyone familiar with a Winchester SX4 12 ga. tell me if these will reliably cycle target loads? I have several boxes of Federal 7 1/2 shot 3 Dram 1 1/8 oz. target loads.
Old 11-06-2021, 12:23 PM

The 3" SX3/4 will reliably cycle all 2-3/4 dram 1 ounce loads that I have tried.The 3-1/2" SX-3/4 usually have 1-3 issues out of 100 rounds of the 2-3/4 dram 1 ounce loads, but are totally reliable with any 3 dram 1-1/8 ounce load that I have tried.
Old 11-06-2021, 01:06 PM

Mine has cycled everything i have put through it, lots of target loads.
Old 11-07-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The 3" SX3/4 will reliably cycle all 2-3/4 dram 1 ounce loads that I have tried.The 3-1/2" SX-3/4 usually have 1-3 issues out of 100 rounds of the 2-3/4 dram 1 ounce loads, but are totally reliable with any 3 dram 1-1/8 ounce load that I have tried.
Thanks. That's exactly what I hoped to hear.
Old 11-08-2021, 04:14 AM

Great info, all my shotguns are trap combo's or sporting o/u and not really waterfowl guns. I am in the market for a waterfowl gun and the SX4 was one that I had on the list as well as the browning maxus and Benelli vinci, I've got a while now to make up my mind as we are done waterfowl for the year, I shot a buddies benelli for a couple weeks this fall as well as test drove a browning A5. I'll never shoot a 3 1/2" shell so no need for that long an action, mostly shoot over decoy's and shoot 2 3/4" or 3" steel either of which will hammer ducks and geese.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-08-2021, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Great info, all my shotguns are trap combo's or sporting o/u and not really waterfowl guns. I am in the market for a waterfowl gun and the SX4 was one that I had on the list as well as the browning maxus and Benelli vinci, I've got a while now to make up my mind as we are done waterfowl for the year, I shot a buddies benelli for a couple weeks this fall as well as test drove a browning A5. I'll never shoot a 3 1/2" shell so no need for that long an action, mostly shoot over decoy's and shoot 2 3/4" or 3" steel either of which will hammer ducks and geese.
A few of our skeet shooters have SX-3s and a couple of SX-4s, and two friends and myself have the Maxus. The SX-4 is just a cheapened SX-3, with a synthetic trigger group, and no adjustment shims. The newer Maxus also has a synthetic trigger group. I used the SX-4 as my waterfowl gun, and rainy day skeet gun, for 7-8 years, and it was trouble free. I have had it in heavy rain where water ran out of the receiver when I got home, in heavy wet snow, and in freezing rain, and it kept functioning. I still have one, but while helping a friend find a shotgun, I came across a deal on a Maxus, that I couldn't pass up, so my go to waterfowl gun is now a Maxus , with an SX-3 as a backup.
Old 11-09-2021, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
A few of our skeet shooters have SX-3s and a couple of SX-4s, and two friends and myself have the Maxus. The SX-4 is just a cheapened SX-3, with a synthetic trigger group, and no adjustment shims. The newer Maxus also has a synthetic trigger group. I used the SX-4 as my waterfowl gun, and rainy day skeet gun, for 7-8 years, and it was trouble free. I have had it in heavy rain where water ran out of the receiver when I got home, in heavy wet snow, and in freezing rain, and it kept functioning. I still have one, but while helping a friend find a shotgun, I came across a deal on a Maxus, that I couldn't pass up, so my go to waterfowl gun is now a Maxus , with an SX-3 as a backup.
Great info, thanks Elk

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.