Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-07-2021, 08:45 AM

Default FYI - components etc

Check out extreme range outfitters online auction for components , powder etc ... they are out of Saskatoon and run a nice business model ... you may find something you are looking for .. please no more bidding on the redding 7mm die set - lol

https://www.extremerangeoutfitters.com
Old 11-07-2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
Check out extreme range outfitters online auction for components , powder etc ... they are out of Saskatoon and run a nice business model ... you may find something you are looking for .. please no more bidding on the redding 7mm die set - lol

https://www.extremerangeoutfitters.com

If a person lives in Saskatoon there are some deals to be had here and there but most of the time things are miles overbid.
Old 11-08-2021, 09:01 AM

Was lo0king at Bullseye North yesterday, they have some RL16 and 23 in 1lb & 8 lb, didn't look to see if they still had 200.00 min for free shipping.
Old 05-17-2022, 02:39 AM

They are power priced, but what can you say if they have stock
Old 05-17-2022, 07:08 AM

When I feel like a laugh, I look at what people are paying on that auction.
Old 05-20-2022, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Or any of the sites now. Primers going for $25+ bucks a HUNDRED, then throw in the 20% mark up and then shipping LOL . People are Crazy
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 05-20-2022, 10:35 PM

Quote:

When I need a laugh I think about people who are out of components or ammo. Seriously??? This your first rodeo??? I’ve been down this road before and after the first time I made sure I could go a lifetime on the ammo I’ve got stashed.

No that wasn’t directed at you elk.
Old 05-20-2022, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcow View Post
They are power priced, but what can you say if they have stock

You can say some people are really stupid.
Old 05-20-2022, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
When I need a laugh I think about people who are out of components or ammo. Seriously??? This your first rodeo??? I’ve been down this road before and after the first time I made sure I could go a lifetime on the ammo I’ve got stashed.

No that wasn’t directed at you elk.
There are people that buy 100 primers, one pound of powder, and one box of bullets at a time, and they don't look for more until they are out. These are the people that are now scrambling for components, and are paying crazy prices.
Then there is a friend of mine, brand new to reloading 6 months ago, who bought 14-15 lbs of powder 3000 primers, and 10-12 boxes of bullets, just to get started. We spend a fair amount of time locating components, he paid normal 2021/22 prices, but he has enough components to last 2-3 years .
Old 05-21-2022, 07:26 AM

Quote:
There are people that buy 100 primers, one pound of powder, and one box of bullets at a time, and they don't look for more until they are out. These are the people that are now scrambling for components, and are paying crazy prices.
Then there is a friend of mine, brand new to reloading 6 months ago, who bought 14-15 lbs of powder 3000 primers, and 10-12 boxes of bullets, just to get started. We spend a fair amount of time locating components, he paid normal 2021/22 prices, but he has enough components to last 2-3 years .
Not everyone has the $$ to buy 14lb of powder 3k primers and 10 boxes of bullets at one time. If you do great but for some they have to feed kids and pay mortgages ect. Not saying a guy shouldnt or cant be stocked up...but its a bit cruel to begrudge a guy who cant because he cant afford to. I think a person needs to be constantly adding as funds allow but for some guys it takes years to build up 3-4 years worth of supplies. Then there are those who just dont....they have the $$ they just dont......for those guys i have no sympathy lol
Old 05-21-2022, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Not everyone has the $$ to buy 14lb of powder 3k primers and 10 boxes of bullets at one time. If you do great but for some they have to feed kids and pay mortgages ect. Not saying a guy shouldnt or cant be stocked up...but its a bit cruel to begrudge a guy who cant because he cant afford to. I think a person needs to be constantly adding as funds allow but for some guys it takes years to build up 3-4 years worth of supplies. Then there are those who just dont....they have the $$ they just dont......for those guys i have no sympathy lol
I am not suggesting that everyone should start out like my friend did, I was pointing out the huge differences in approach that some people took in regards to the component situation. While some people chose to totally ignore the warnings over the past two years, and are caught without components, my friend went way beyond where most people start out. I suggested to him that some of his powder and bullet choices may not work out in his rifles, and his reply was that at the worst, he would have powder and bullets to trade , as many people won't sell components now, but will trade them. As for being able to afford the components, he doesn't smoke, doesn't gamble, rarely drinks, and doesn't own snowmobiles, boats, RVs or other big ticket items, so he chooses to spend his extra cash on hunting and shooting, and his daughter enjoys doing it with him.
Old 05-21-2022, 04:31 PM

And I suppose if guys didnt buy 3000 primers and 14 lbs of powder than there would be enough for everyone. The states are by far the worse.
Old 05-21-2022, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
And I suppose if guys didnt buy 3000 primers and 14 lbs of powder than there would be enough for everyone. The states are by far the worse.
To start with, 8lbs of that 14, is one container, so he only bought 7 containers. When you are going to load for three very different cartridges, including a reduced load for a youth for one, you need three types of primers and four different powders, and four different bullets, so while it sounds like a lot to some people, it's not much compared to what many people keep on hand. I actually use more powder and primers every year, than he has on hand, as do many other people. The big difference is that while most people had years to build up a supply, he only started six months ago, and didn’t have that opportunity.
Old 05-21-2022, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Some guys shoot a lot, many guys will burn up a pound of powder and a couple hundred bullets on one trip to the range, what are they supposed to do for the other 50 or 100 times they go to the range in a year?
Old 05-21-2022, 07:00 PM

Quote:
That's not that much for primers and powder...
Old 05-22-2022, 10:02 AM

Every time one of these component threads show up it is always the same. A few need to complain that they can't afford to stock up on components and there is the inevitable few how call the prepared hoarders. To them I say, if you run out you get to shoot factory ammo that you can buy 20 rounds at a time, IF you can find it. I feel for guys that can't afford to stock up, but I feel a lot worse for folks that can't buy food because they have to pay rapidly rising utilities and rent. Shooting is still a hobby, if you can't afford fodder for the smoke pole, you can save up. Eating isn't a hobby.

After my recent experience helping a guy out with some 218 Brass and having him complain the count on 500 new, weight sorted, brass was 4 short, despite the fact I sold him the brass for less than most once fired is advertised at, has pretty much put me off helping anyone I don't know pretty well.

My books, you didn't stock up when you could, for whatever of a Bazillion possible reasons, then you get to enjoy the consequences. Prices are NOT going down, even if the shortages go away. If you fail to learn the lessons of history you will get the fun of repeating the outcomes.
Old 05-22-2022, 10:55 AM

I get it and I'm more than ok for reloading supplies but to me it's no different than the toilet paper shortage. People hear omg theres a shortage so they all run out and buy as much as they can find. All I am saying is if everyone didnt do that than there would be no shortages and stupid prices. Or it would at least help things.
Old 05-22-2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I get it and I'm more than ok for reloading supplies but to me it's no different than the toilet paper shortage. People hear omg theres a shortage so they all run out and buy as much as they can find. All I am saying is if everyone didnt do that than there would be no shortages and stupid prices. Or it would at least help things.

It doesn't work like that. During the Toilet paper shortage, either you had paper or you didn't, that was the result of your personal decision about stocking up. Same story right now with primers. You are NEVER going to get people to behave the way you want them too, whether it is a more effective approach or not. History has clearly taught us that for centuries. Understand the human behaviour, deal with that, not the rose coloured glasses version of the world, if only all people behaved altruistically.
Old 05-22-2022, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I bought enough to last the life of the barrel for my hunting rifle years ago. Same with my fun guns.

You can look at it like if I didn't have it someone else could have it. True.

Or you can look at it from the point of view that I am not competing with others looking for components now. If I find some I don't buy them, instead I pass onto others where I found them.
Old 05-22-2022, 11:23 AM

Well like stated above extreme range outfitters always has lots of primers and powder on their auction. Just be prepared to pay $200 lb for powder and $20 plus for 100 primers. I also dont go to the range and pound off 1000 rounds a year for fun. I reload for 4 different rifles in our house and we will be ok for a few more years if need be.
Old 05-22-2022, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I also dont go to the range and pound off 1000 rounds a year for fun.
Seems like you don't understand those folks who shoot a lot. Most guys who shoot a lot are not "pounding off a 1000 rounds a year for fun. Those guys who do that are usually just plinking with their SKS's and cheap junk bulk ammo and they will do that in a month not a year. Most don't reload. The guys who your looking down your nose at because you can't find component are shooting carefully, finding loads, seating depths, best charges, best primers, which bullets shoot best, zeroing their scopes and come ups for each distance out to 1000 + yards, practicing in different wind intensities and angles of wind, they shoot thousands of carefully thought out loads every year. They tend to shoot with their buddies and go to local and regional shoots, some travel around the country and internationally to shoot competitions. Or the short range benchrest guy who goes thru several barrels a year and thousands of rounds to find the combination that might win their next match, or the trap and skeet shooters who shoot numerous thousands of rounds a year.

Some people spend money, tons of it, on their boat, quad, travel, fishing, hockey, whatever. If there were a shortage of golf balls, serious golfers would be hoarding them and gobbling up whatever supply as soon as they came available. The one or two time a year golfer would be complaining and get bent out of shape about the golf ball hoarders who go out and "pound 1000 balls" at the driving range every week.

Last edited by Bushrat; 05-22-2022 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-22-2022, 02:25 PM

^^^^^^^^👍😁😁😁😁
Old 05-22-2022, 05:11 PM

So just some math

barrel life~3000 rds
~ 50grs. powder per round
3000x50grs= 150,000 grs.
150,000 grs / 7000 grs. per pound = 21.4 pounds of powder to "burn" out a barrel.
21 lbs of powder x$65 =$1365
Bullets ~ $50 x 3000 =$1500
High priced Primers $10 x3000 = $300.

Still cheaper then buy a round of drinks for your "friends" on a Saturday night in the pub.
Old 05-22-2022, 06:44 PM

So they arent doing it for fun? If it's not fun why do it than. I'm not looking down on anyone just having a conversation so don't take anything personal or get triggered, like I said I have enough stuff for a few years mainly because I dont shoot a 1000 rounds a year. I've went threw all the load development stuff years ago, and honestly I dont enjoy going to the range or off my deck practicing relentlessly nor do I need to.
Old 05-22-2022, 07:00 PM

Add to the component cost of wearing out a barrel, the gas and travel cost to burn that many rounds. I spend a LOT of money every year shooting and hunting. I have shot between 5 and 30,000 rounds a year for decades. I once sat down to add up what I have spent over the past 55 years, working from today backwards. Got to about 4 years and quit. Decided that was a number I REALLY didn't need to know. It is money already spent, I thoroughly enjoyed every second of doing it, saw places most humans never will, walked in places no human ever has, so why worry now what that cost.

Others have different hobbies, hope they enjoy them as much. Hope I never get to a point I can't afford this great pastime.
Old 05-22-2022, 10:19 PM

Quote:
So they arent doing it for fun? If it's not fun why do it than. I'm not looking down on anyone just having a conversation so don't take anything personal or get triggered, like I said I have enough stuff for a few years mainly because I dont shoot a 1000 rounds a year. I've went threw all the load development stuff years ago, and honestly I dont enjoy going to the range or off my deck practicing relentlessly nor do I need to.
Personally I would give my left .... To be able to walk out my back door and shoot a thousand rounds a year. Different storks for different folks.