Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-24-2003, 01:37 AM
winchester70

Default can I ...

OK,here"s the deal ...
I have a PAL.....
My son has a POL....
Can I buy him a new .22 for chirstmas,,you know as a present???

Man I miss the good old days...

need help on this one..
Old 11-24-2003, 07:52 AM
Don Meredith

winchester70,

He needs to have a PAL (Possession and Acquisition Licence). You can loan him a gun (because he has a POL) but you can't give or sell him one (that would be acquiring).

If I were you, I would enrol him in a firearms course (make it part of the gift), get him the PAL and then transfer the ownership to him when he has the licence. You could be the registered owner in the mean time. It would cost you an extra $25 to make the transfer, but you could "loan" him the rifle for target practice etc. while he's waiting for his licence.

For information on firearms courses, go to the Alberta Hunter Education Instructors' Association web site.

Don
Old 11-27-2003, 01:50 AM
winchester70

Default can I

Thanx for the info Don...it sure is getting tough to hand down traditions like ..Pa giving sonny a gun..btw..
my son is 27yrs old and on his 14th birthday,pa gave him a new Browning A-bolt medallion in .30-06..laughted every time he shot it..two steps backwards if you know what I mean..but yes he did get a bull moose (small one) his first year and yes he did grow into the gun....can't wait till I'm a grand pa...lol