Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

View Poll Results: Will you register your firearms?
I will register all my firearms. 55 29.57%
I will quietly register NONE of my firearms. 36 19.35%
I will register enough to get by. (example: one center fire and one 22 or shot gun) 42 22.58%
I will make all my firearms go away. 5 2.69%
I will openly resist registration and acknowledge my ownership of firearms. 48 25.81%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-25-2002, 03:03 PM
Pappy in AB

Default Register Something?

Ron, I believe the the CFC sends out that letter to all POL holders (not PAL holders). You cannot purchase a firearm with a POL...therefore you MUST already own firearms...they know you have at least one. With a PAL you need not own a firearm...however, you probably intend to own a firearm...but they do not know for certain that you own any firearms.

Randy
Old 12-27-2002, 05:55 PM
Letter of intent!

Default Letter of intent!

Now, all you have to do is send them a letter postmarked before Dec. 31 saying that you intend to register your guns 'someday'..
www.geocities.com/liberalgunfarce
Old 01-05-2003, 01:03 AM
sirmike68

Default just buy new ones

I am not registering any of my guns! I'm just going to buy all new ones and register those. Might even pick up a handgun for the heck of it. Now there is even going to be more guns out there. YeeeHAaa
Old 01-07-2003, 11:31 PM
Gun Registration

Default Gun Registration

I have no problem with the requirement to register all my guns, and did so months ago. I DO have a problem, though, with the black hole money pit created by Alan
Rockhead the Blockhead.
Old 01-08-2003, 02:54 PM
Gun Registration

Default Gun Registration

The feds will never know how many I own. I will probably buy a new gun in the next year but that's the only one they will know about. Hopefully this bill will die with the Liberal party in the next election.
Old 01-30-2003, 04:09 AM
gun reg

Default gun reg

There is no way that this gun registration makes the Canada a safer place.
The example given to me that comes to mind " the police responding to a domestic dispute can go on their computer and see if the resident has any guns registered, which will make their job safer by letting them know what's in the home." I don't think there is any cop around that would enter a premisis unprepared for the worst just because his computer says there are no guns in the house. Even if most people did comply, the police would still have enough common sense to think there may be a firearm present.
The Montreal Massacre is another example. Would have made any difference to that psycho if the gun he used was registered or not. Do you really think that if it was, and he knew it was that he would have changed his mind about it or went and found a gun that wasn't registerd. It is not the gun that kills, it's the person behind the trigger.
I beleive in people getting their possession license. This requires you to take a course and write a test to say are compitent and a back ground check is done on you. What more do the feds need.
I can almost gaurantee that within 10 to 15 years, if this gun registry plague continues, Canadians will be forced into hand in their rifles.
Here is a quote from Sir John A. MacDonald.
"IT IS NOT THE PLACE OF GOVERNMENT TO RULE, BUT RATHER TO GOVERN, LETTING THE CITIZEN EBB AND FLOW ON THE TIDES OF JUSTICE AND FREEDOM IN HIS OWN INTEREST, UNFETTERED BY UNJUST LAWS BROUGHT ABOUT BY HYSTERIA AND IGNORANCE."
Old 01-30-2003, 04:20 AM
gun reg

Default gun reg

I forgot to add one thing. One Billion dollars sure would have gone a long way when it comes to say Health Care, Education, etc.
Another wild idea- maybe public education about gun safety might be in order.
Old 01-30-2003, 08:51 PM
JSBiskup

Default Re: gun reg

How is it that the fed. gov. can spend billions on the gun regisrty and we as voters and tax payers have no say in how OUR tax dollars are spent?
Old 04-03-2003, 10:49 PM
Firearms r

Default Firearms registration

What will happen to people who did not register their non-restricted firearms or send in a letter of intent? I ask this question so the general poulation of this board are informed.
Old 04-12-2003, 01:31 AM
The next billionbucks

Default The next billionbucks

Here is a suggestion for the liberal idiots who are hiding thier agenda of confiscation behind safety - if you really want to do something about firearms safety, spend the next billion dollars (and it's going to cost a lot more than that to straighten out the registration mess!) by buying a gun safe for every firearms owner in Canada. That might actually prevent some instances of firearms getting in to the wrong hands - which your registration scheme, even if it worked, will never do.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:22 AM
the next billion

Default the next billion

Jeans looking into this idea, he just has to line up the contracts for his old safe building company.
Old 06-22-2003, 10:51 PM
Cundilini

Default Re: the next billion

No matter what we think of a law, we have an obligation as citizens to obey it. I read a message by someone on an animal rights message board that said that we have no obligation to obey "unjust" laws, this was in support of somebody vandalising a retaurant.

If we want to use our firearms for hunting this year and we don't want to be charged then they will have to be registered and we will have to have a lisense.

On the other hand, I would like to see what happens when somebody gets charged under the new gun laws. I don't think I'd like to be a crown prosecutor in that situation. I seem to remember a young guy getting charged with posession of a firearm without a lisense when he was hunting with his dad's rifle. The dad instructed his lawyer to fight and recieved help from the NFA. The charges were dropped.

Does any of you guys know if there has been anybody charged with having an unregistered firearm?
Old 10-03-2003, 09:35 PM
chuck403

Default Re: gun registration

I think this is absolutely stupid as well but all mine are registered. I sure sleep better at night knowing that they are traceable now and if they are stolen they will come back to me LOL. If this registration is supposed to stop thefts why is auto theft up by 300 (I think that's how many more were stolen this year in Red Deer compared to the same time last year). Apparantly vehicles are registered in a totally different way......Not traceable to the owner perhaps.......No wait they are..... I do recall photo radar. Speed through one of them and you'll get a reminder to slow down in the mail. So If a regestered vehicle won't deter thieves then why would a registered gun stop them?
Old 10-07-2003, 10:39 AM
Gun registration

Default Gun registration

As a Brit who had all his pitols confiscated in the emotional aftermath of Dunblane (16 children were murdered by a registered firearm) you need to accept that registration is only the first step to confiscation.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:27 PM
Salmo

Default A reality that no one will admit is true!

AlanJR,

It is good to hear from soneone who has experienced firearm confiscation. The majority of pro-registration people in this country think that confiscation of firearms is only something that Hitler would do. It is a sad reality that confiscation in this country is a possiblility in my lifetime (I am 24). Probably not all guns, but it starts with handguns then continues on from there.

Of course firearms are not used for any "real" purpose in today's society. This is another common thought that I have heard from several of my peers in our wonderful post secondary institutions in S. Ontario.

I love the ignorance.

Oh well I am registering the firearms that I use most frequently ... I mean all of them

Peter
Old 10-23-2003, 12:15 PM
not me

Default not me

i've not registered any guns so far and currently have no intention of registering. i am trying to acquire a gun right now so it will have to be registered. that will be the only one.

remember, alberta (and most other provinces) have indicated they will not enforce it. last year a co told me they wouldn't be enforcing it either.

if the gov't won't charge/prosecute any of those you went to police stations in early 2003 to turn themselves in i doubt very they will charge/prosecute any hunters.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:40 PM
Salmo

Default RCMP will

True, the CO's in many provinces are not enforcing the registration, but if the person flaunts the fact they their rifle is not registered then they may be obliged to enforce it.
I know the RCMP are checking because I have a friend that was stopped at a CO check station and there were RC's there checking for registrations.
I have not heard of anyone getting charges under the system. Oh and they just dumped a whole pile of more money into the CFC to re-haul the computer systems and such. It is very frustrating to say the least.

Peter
Old 12-15-2003, 10:32 PM
enforcement

Default enforcement

I have had a signed letter in my hand from the MLA for the Stettler area stating Alberta WILL NOT prosecute under the Firearms Act or Criminal Code in cases where registraion (or lack thereof) is the SOLE offence. So, even the RCMP have their hands tied. No one is going to bother anyone if their 30-30 is not papered. Most mounties I know have no regard for C-68 and even some of them did not bother registering. With respect to the law-abiding sorts, if decent people don't disobey bad laws, how will we keep things from augering into the ground? The comparison with vandalising restaurants is not valid as that is a wanton, criminal, malicious act. C-68 is a political pile of BS and not complying with stupid asinine rules that any half-assed intelligent person can see are ridiculous IS the only way to ensure our society remains a good one. If the people that make society good are willing to bend over and take it in the can from those who would take away freedom, then it is all going to go to crap. Someone has to say "No more garbage! Get back to important business and forget the nonsense." We are not going to get rid of the Liberals any time soon and the only way to stop the nonsense is to make it such that they can't enforce it and let it fade away. If we do what they want, they will keep taking it away piece by piece.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:41 AM
take it one s

Default take it one step further

screw it, you know what, next time i'm not going to register my next car when i buy it. That way i'll save my 10 bux AND if it's stolen there's no way in hell it'll ever be found or traced back to me.. oh, wait.. i'd like to have it back if it was stolen
Old 01-22-2004, 07:43 AM
bigbore

Default Re: take it one step further

you can easily make a story up on a LOST firearm, calling in that it fell off the back of the quad on a rack. a friends uncle did this and to this day he still has it but they think he doesnt
Old 02-12-2004, 08:13 PM
Senator

Default Re: take it one step further

hey ff, If your gun is stolen and the police find it, you wont get it back, the gun will be destroyed.