Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-16-2004, 07:52 AM
Rub Sign

Default Gun Registration Debate -- Noon, Today!

I know CBC radio isn't very popular with a lot of people on this board, but you might be interested in the debate that's going to be broadcast on Wild Rose Country's "Friday Scrum" after the noon news. Rob Love (ex-aide to Ralph Klein) will confront Wendy Cuckier (sp?), who was largely responsible for pushing the feds to create the current gun law mess, over the efficacy of the gun registration program. The promos sound interesting, as Love is his usual blunt self and Cuckier sounds no different.

FYI,
Old 01-16-2004, 11:34 PM
Pappy in AB

How did this go?
Old 01-16-2004, 11:59 PM
bigbore

i didnt see this post in time to be able to tune in, how was it?????
Old 01-17-2004, 08:51 AM
Rub Sign

It was as you would predict. Love focused on how registering a farmer's shotgun isn't going to reduce crime, and Cuckier insisted that gun crime was being reduced by the registration system. They then attacked each other's assumptions. Of course, I'm biased to Love's position, but I don't think anyone really "won" the debate. However, Cuckier is a slippery fish. When she's attacked about one falacy in her argument, she immediately moves to another point, often equally falacious.

What this debate pointed out to me was that the anti-registration lobby needs to fund a massive ad campaign to convince urban Canada that registration is not and will not work. Martin and his government are not going to scrap registration as long as the majority of Canadians believe it can be fixed. We have to counter the "well, we've come this far" argument.