Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-24-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
Ya, I dig it. Just the right kinda scenario to hopefully capitalize on. Just need couple cams in there to confirm and really motivate.
X2.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:01 PM

It would be great if you could get a pic of him to see what you are hunting. At least with a pic you it may help you make decent call if he only gives you a couple seconds to decide. Save you maybe shooting the wrong buck. That's how it played out for me this fall. Good luck
Old 04-24-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
It would be great if you could get a pic of him to see what you are hunting. At least with a pic you it may help you make decent call if he only gives you a couple seconds to decide. Save you maybe shooting the wrong buck. That's how it played out for me this fall. Good luck
Yep liking this thread.
Good advice, real good with a pic of the unknown buck yer chasing would be icing on the cake!!

Keep this thread alive f you can, already kind of visualized a few scenarios, but looks like some of us are on the page of the same.
Tip my hat to ya, nothin like a one on one game.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:39 AM

Agree with Hayseed - I hope this thread evolves into an epic tale of the pursuit of this deer this season.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Agree with Hayseed - I hope this thread evolves into an epic tale of the pursuit of this deer this season.
X2
Old 04-25-2019, 09:16 AM

x3, nothing better than connecting on a mature animal that you knew was in an area, had pics of and passed on everything else leading up to the encounter. Hope to see pics of this bruiser if you connect this fall, good luck!!
Old 04-25-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
Ya, I dig it. Just the right kinda scenario to hopefully capitalize on. Just need couple cams in there to confirm and really motivate.
Ya, that was my initial thought, but the more I scope out that area the more difficult I suspect that hunting this buck might be. I have a good idea where he is, and how he moves, but its going to very difficult getting the wind on him. His bed is pretty much impenetrable, he's feeding in multiple locations, but he can pretty much keep the wind on any setup I might make, in just about any wind. So while I plan to try and take him by being sneaky, I can see needing to do something more along the lines of your tracking suggestion.

My plan of now is to stay clear of his bedding area and just try to gently encroach as much as I dare, maybe I will get him but more likely I will just get a better idea of how he uses his range. Once the rut is over I'll go to more invasive tactics, like you suggested, which probably have a better chance at getting him, but will likely be a one chance deal.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:29 PM

Sound like you’ve found a great spot to deer hunt.
What I would do is get in there NOW and walk the heck out of it. Put a set of collapsing handled shears and a folding saw in your pack. Got to get in there before green up, it will look much the same as November. With any luck you will find the “spot” on the spot. Trim up some shooting lanes and improve the trails coming and going. Deer are lazy and a couple hours with the clippers can turn a faint trail into a beaten path. Set up a cheap ladder stand and mark your trail out. Daydream about big bucks in your spot until conditions are right in early November and go kill one.
Resist the urge to go strapping cameras to trees. One thing trail cameras show that people don’t talk about is what’s NOT there. Look at all the fun you’re having anticipating the hunt already. There will be a good buck there, probably several.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:37 PM

I think hunting like this is the ultimate way to challenge your hunting skills,wouldn't have it any other way.

The reward in the end will be worth the effort and one hunt you will remember every day.

Whether you nail him or not it's still a great hunt,win,win all the way .

Wish you the best.

JD
Old 04-25-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
First we have to identify the buck. All we have so far is big melted out track.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
First we have to identify the buck. All we have so far is big melted out track.
Not melted out, I would not bother posting her about a melted out track. Very clear tracks, punched through the leaves and deep into the dirt, less than 30 minuets before I found them, by a deer that bailed out of a cluster of very big deer beds. I followed these tracks for nearly a half kilometer, debating with my more pessimistic self whether I should be getting stoked or not.

For me, the point when I finally let myself get excited was when I found smoking fresh deer crap in a track with enough side to side offset between the prints that I can nearly fit my size 11 boot lengthwise in between them. That is not a moose, elk, or freakishly big doe. It doesn't promise head gear, but it promises to be one of the biggest bodied bucks that I've seen.

I understand you're doubt, but I don't run trail cameras, instead I wander around looking at deer sign for almost half the year because I find it far more enjoyable. What I don't do is find a few melted out prints and proclaim to the world that I've found the king of the forest.

Last edited by Bushleague; 04-25-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:26 PM

Hope you get em. Just hard to tell if you did or not.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Hope you get em. Just hard to tell if you did or not.
Yes, that is true.