Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-17-2018, 09:04 PM

Default Best cheap trail cams

Hey guys so earlier this year I posted about having my trail cam stolen and several folks mentioned just using cheap ones.

So I was at Canadian tire and seen a Tasco for 50$ as well as seeing 2 for 129$ Stealth cams at cabelas. Before I sink money into another camera even though it will be a cheap one, what's the best bang for my buck.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:28 PM

Apeman cameras on amazon.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:44 PM

I have the two pack stealth cam from cabelas they are on sale again now. They are pretty basic, first ones ive ever used. And i can tell ill never need anything more fancy. They have video mode too which i just set on my last camera check. Ill let you know how works. So far ive only used the medium photo resolutionSTC_0018.jpgSTC_0067.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2018, 10:20 PM

A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhorn2 View Post
I have the two pack stealth cam from cabelas they are on sale again now. They are pretty basic, first ones ive ever used. And i can tell ill never need anything more fancy. They have video mode too which i just set on my last camera check. Ill let you know how works. So far ive only used the medium photo resolutionAttachment 148126Attachment 148127

Oh wow I'd say that's pretty decent indeed. I think I may just go get that while they are on sale again.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:33 AM

Default Best cheap trail cams

$60 stealthcam. 6mp I believe. I have a few of them.

I also have a $250 Bushnell. The resolution is obviously better. But I’d rather have multiple cameras for the same price.

Last edited by curtis_rak; 08-18-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:30 PM

I have tried a bunch of brands and found the cheaper stealth cams to be the least reliable. They last long on a set of batteries but they miss animals often and the night pics are pretty blurry. I have some Moultaires and find them to work a lot better. The stealth cams also start from pic#1 anytime you put in a different card or delete the pics which is annoying when copying them all to the same folder on a computer.

I just picked up some wild game innovations and they seem ok. I wish Thames had the triple photos option though.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:07 PM

Moultrie has internet specials. They just sold out of reconditioned cams for 20 bucks each. Work just as good as a new one. Watch the site.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-18-2018, 07:12 PM

All I can say is stay away from wild game innovations, nothing but bad interactions with me, don't want anybody to go on the path as I did
Old 08-18-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
All I can say is stay away from wild game innovations, nothing but bad interactions with me, don't want anybody to go on the path as I did
I had WGI but never seen a pic from it,stolen between deployment Nov.20 and first check Dec.5.....on private land where I had exclusive permission no less.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:39 PM

Canadian tire has two tascos on for $99......they are tascos though....

Check Canadian Tire's discount page on their web site. Right now in FSJ, they have a WGI reg 189 on for $89

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/wg...5765p.html#srp

A Stealth Can package reg 180 on for 109

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/st...8689p.html#srp

A Moultrie for 49

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mo...5885p.html#srp

Cheap and if they crap out or go for a walk......your not out a lot of $$$

I personally like Simmons, the 7mp has worked great for me, I run 4 of them.

http://simmonsoptics.com/trailcameras/index.aspx 421c is the model I run.

Cheers

SS
Old 08-19-2018, 07:51 PM

Thanks guys. I picked up the Stealth cam 2 for 1 on sale special. Seems the moultrie cheaper ones are out of stock on their web page anyway. I'm also keeping on I one the ones mentioned for Amazon. Definitely liked the quality of the Stealth cam pics that were shared.

Will have to pic up a card reader now.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:55 PM

What’s the cap to still be considered cheap? I have ran the wild game,stealth cam and others under 100$ but found that by spending a bit more I had far less disappointing outings when checking my cameras. I’ve been running the spypoint force 10 the last two years and have been very happy with them
Old 08-20-2018, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktrick View Post
What’s the cap to still be considered cheap? I have ran the wild game,stealth cam and others under 100$ but found that by spending a bit more I had far less disappointing outings when checking my cameras. I’ve been running the spypoint force 10 the last two years and have been very happy with them
After having my Browning trail cam stolen even with a cable lock on it I won't spend big money on a nice one again. I had no luck with my spypoint always crazy blurry. Wish they stole that one .
Old 08-20-2018, 07:27 AM

I tried both the cheap Stealth Cams (PX14FX) and the cheap Spypoint (Force 10D)

I prefer the Spypoint.

The pictures are a bit cleaner, the night pictures are better, and the trigger time seems to be better. I’ve caught a few does on the run with it, where the Stealth Cam seems to only get a pic of their butt as they walk by.