Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-21-2012, 05:23 PM

Default Eberlestock owners - scabbard experience...

So I have spent several years with the old Camp Trails "Moose Bag"....I have always trusted a sturdy external frame and basic design....it's carried heads, hides, meat and gear all over the mountains for me....but....

I sure like the idea of a hands free option for my rifle, I have experimented with hooks and such but I always end up with at least a hand on my rifle or even worse, carrying it for long periods....

I have been through the old threads and a bunch of other info, but can someone with experience share their thoughts on the scabbards on these packs? are they comfortable? can you access your rifle easily/everytime? (that's important to me)....or is it just a catch basin for snow and rain??? I have been looking at the J107....and would like to hear what users have to say before I make that leap...

...even with that, I am not totally sure I like the dry weight of the pack or some of the other things I have read.....but your advice will help a long way...

thanks in advance....
Old 07-21-2012, 06:59 PM

Default Eberlestock

I imagine that if you didn't have the top half of the scabbard on you could be catching snow or rain. My g4 operator pack comes with the top half of the scabbard ( other packs you have to buy seperately ) and a rain cover for the entire bag that is in a handy zippered pocket.

It's easy for me to get my Remington 700 with 6-24 x 50mm scope in and out of the scabbord with the pack on my back.

Very well designed overall, couldn't be happier with their packs

Last edited by AMisler; 07-21-2012 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-21-2012, 08:04 PM

I own an Eberlestock pack and to be honest my Marlin 30-30 pistol grip w/ scope is a tight fit but my BLR straight grip w/ scope is a perfect fit.

It takes practice like anything, to unholster your weapon from the scabbard in the pack. I own a J34 and I love it so I ordered an X1 to carry my bow and more of a day pack design.

My experience is it worked last season and hopefully this season.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:12 PM

Scabbard in my Eb X1 A1 holds my 30-30 trapper just fine.

TBark
Old 07-21-2012, 09:34 PM

Thanks guys.....I suppose that my mind was already made up.....look at something neat long enough and the reasons for getting it build up fast....this was the icing.

Order is going out.....if I don't like it after the season, look for a good deal in the buy n' sell

Thanks again.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:10 PM

Love My J107 I got the military version. The pack is heavy but carry's well and is comfortable. I got the duffle spike pack that straps on the back for more gear. I also own a Eberlestock x3 low drag. The lowdrag is very nice and I will probably use it more, but if you do a lot of multi day treks the j107 is good to go. The J107 is a bit on the heavy side for a day pack. I found nothing lacking in quality and the rifle scabbard is very nice doesn't seem to collect much snow and if it does it has drains built in. Hope this helps.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:37 PM

Hey Weatherby I am also in the marketto get an Eberlestock. Either G2 or G4. Wholesale Sport is a "dealer" but they no longer have stock. I talked with the dealer in Whitecourt but he didn't feel he could get it to me in a reasonable time frame. Are you going to order straight from the website? Or have you found a dependable dealer? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:09 AM

They do seem to be in limited supply....Grouse River in BC has some limited stock....otherwise I may go through a US vendor...just waiting on shipping/duty info.....I will send you a message if I get any good news...
Old 07-22-2012, 08:25 AM

Go on the eberlestock website, there is a factory store section that has an updated inventory of packs they can send out immediately. My pack came in under 3 weeks directly from eberlestock. I also ordered a water bladder and shooting mat with the pack, under 80$ between shipping and duties at the border.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Hey Weatherby I am also in the marketto get an Eberlestock. Either G2 or G4. Wholesale Sport is a "dealer" but they no longer have stock. I talked with the dealer in Whitecourt but he didn't feel he could get it to me in a reasonable time frame. Are you going to order straight from the website? Or have you found a dependable dealer? Thanks in advance.
This may be helpful, Seals Action Gear in Calgary have a nice selection of military packs and they ordered my hunting pack in for me. I believe they will also ship packs as well. They also carry water bladders and Eberlestock accessories.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:25 AM

X2 for seals action gear. Bought my J107 military there a few years ago and will deal again there anytime.

Kale
Old 07-22-2012, 11:43 AM

If you do order make sure you get shipped by usps not ups or fed-x as they charge broker fees & make it way more expensive. Unless you jusy can'y wait & NEED it overnight..
Old 07-22-2012, 12:20 PM

I have a Blue Widow with the "sniper" () scabbard and shotgun scabbard. I use the sniper as it protects my bangstick better and it is handy, and it does carry very well. The shotgun scabbard does shorty 12ga guns and lever guns really well.

With a Super Spike and suck the only pack I would upgrade to is a Mystery Ranch, and I would want to figure out how to use this same system.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:29 PM

Went with Linton Outdoors....can't say if they were the best or not but they had the pattern I wanted (I know it's doesn't matter, but might as well get what you like).....they also throw in a free accessory.....makes me feel better since I would have bought them anyway...

Looking forward to trying it out....thank you again for all who replied....good luck this season
Old 07-22-2012, 07:12 PM

Jimbows in Calgary carries them now. I have an old J104 i think...and love it.

Cheers MM
Old 07-23-2012, 09:04 AM

Yep Jim bows had a good stock just for the record and on topic scabard works great my little A-Bolt 7-08 slides in and out like a quick draw rig, the fact that it is a perfect match Mossy Oak Open country just makes it that much better, the critters pay very close attention to such fasion details
Old 07-23-2012, 06:13 PM

I bought a blue widow from jimbows 2 months ago. They do carry a good selection and will order whatever you want.