Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-13-2022, 01:36 PM

Default Wild game processing etc

Hello everyone
Just testing the waters as to whether opening a Butcher shop in the Claresholm area would be something that there is interest in, focusing on wild game mainly with other processing possibilities. Just checking on interest at the moment. I have 38 years experience and currently work for Canadian Food Inspection Agency so well versed in food safety etc. Thanks for any comments you may provide. Peter
Old 05-13-2022, 03:24 PM

Only one way to find out! Never know til you hang your shingle. Life is short and good cutters are in demand.
Old 05-13-2022, 04:32 PM

I live in the area and I know the butchers are busy. I have used a guy on the blue trail, glenwood and back ountry. I had to almost beg them to take my animals the last two years they were so busy. I think you could do well if you put out a good product
Old 05-14-2022, 09:56 PM

I would research any existing competition and do a honest self evaluation of how you would offer a point of difference over what is currently offered.
Old 05-16-2022, 06:06 AM

Thumbs up Shop

You would do well Pete, most people want a honest fair experience an your both. I know allot of hunters that take there animals 2+ hour drive from home to get that experience.
Old 05-28-2022, 05:43 PM

Well been scoping out some new property for Butcher shop, found 6 acres with 1800 sq ft building already onsite, only issue is it has a well that only does 2 gallons per minute so figuring out water is the problem, anyone have any suggestions on how to possible deal with water concerns, thanks in advance Peter.
Old 05-28-2022, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
I would research any existing competition and do a honest self evaluation of how you would offer a point of difference over what is currently offered.
Now a days it seems to be about getting your animal in a timely fashion and getting it back within 6 months. Do that and you’re already ahead of the competitors.
Old 05-29-2022, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP_ECOM View Post
Well been scoping out some new property for Butcher shop, found 6 acres with 1800 sq ft building already onsite, only issue is it has a well that only does 2 gallons per minute so figuring out water is the problem, anyone have any suggestions on how to possible deal with water concerns, thanks in advance Peter.
A good butcher is in demand no matter where you setup. Don't know how much top quality competition there is in the Clarsholm area but I doubt there is much. I lived on an acreage with a low water output, we put in a 1000 gallon holding tank so we could water trees, grass etc. You aren't running water continuously so it has time to refill even at the slow flow rate. You may not need one even that big depending on what you are doing with the water. For example, most power washers only need 3-5 GPM flow rate to work.
Old 05-29-2022, 09:19 PM

What Dean2 says. I personally have never seen a well-run butcher shop fail. Anywhere!! Certainly a water holding tank solves a lot of poor wells. A small concern would be if the well actually failed. Could the well be flushed or fracked? I've known farmers to shoot an '06 down the well. Hauling water a real PIA. Best of luck!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King