Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-09-2022, 02:28 PM

[QUOTE=Twisted Canuck;4518810]I've happily made do with Remington 700s for a while now (7mm08 , 7mm RM, .300 WM) but also had a 788 in .308 win, that's what I could afford and started with decades ago. Also had some Winchester 70s and a Ruger 77, CZ, Sako, Tikka. Tried a few.

This winter I had KS Arms build me my 'Dream' hunting rifle. Their 3 lug action, 60 degree bolt throw, a 22" fluted barrel #3 contour (stainless), Trigger Tech Primary set at 2.5 lbs, HS precision bottom metal and magazine, and all set in a Wildcat Composite stock. It is a short action, weighed in at 6 lbs 4 oz without scope. I'm finally going to get my rings this week, as the first set of Talley one piece rings got seized by CBSA, something about parts for a 'weapon'. Idiots.

But I digress.

It should finish around 7 lbs 6 oz, maybe an ounce more, with scope (a Zeiss Conquest V4, 4-16x44mm with firedot illuminated reticle).

As for the chambering, I went with a .338 Federal. I've had a hankering for this cartridge for a decade now, figured it was time. Short action, 180-210 gr bullets, the numbers would suggest a very capable 300 yards rifle which is as far as I have ever had to shoot. Out to 300, it betters a .30-06 for energy by a decent margin, and almost as much as a 7mm RM, shooting 200 gr bullets with a MV in the 2650 range. And, shooting 180s, it will drop a half inch less then a .30-06 shooting same weight, at 300 yards.

So how would the federal shoot the 180 grain bullet flatter than a 30,06 when the co efficient is less and about 100 FPS slower. Just asking, I’d hate to see you miss that elk.
Old 05-09-2022, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I was so close, missed it by 6 degrees....
Cut an inch off that new handle. Will make up for that extra 6 degrees
Old 05-09-2022, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Cut an inch off that new handle. Will make up for that extra 6 degrees
Gonna get the grinder out and get right on that...

CowmanBob, regarding the .338 Fed vs .30-06 comparison, I've done a ton of reading and comparing ballistics on it (compared it to 7mm08, .308 win, .270, .30-06, 7mm RM and .300 WM, picking all the vanilla cartridges). It falls between the -06 and the 7mm for energy out to 300 yards, closer to the 7mm RM actually. Here is a fair article on it that mentions the half inch drop difference, but I got it wrong. It is a half inch less at *400* yards. It lines up with all the tables I printed off.

https://www.ronspomeroutdoors.com/bl...ics%20data,Mag.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 05-09-2022 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-09-2022, 04:14 PM

Reading the Spomer article he claims 1.5 inch difference between the 338 federal and the 338 win mag bullet drop at 300 yards. The nosler loading data suggests approximately 450 FPS spread between these two rounds with equal bullet weights. This amount of velocity difference would make the drop more like 6-7 inches. Maybe the article had a misprint.
Nice cartridge the Federal but no way it comes close to the 338 win mag
Old 05-09-2022, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
Reading the Spomer article he claims 1.5 inch difference between the 338 federal and the 338 win mag bullet drop at 300 yards. The nosler loading data suggests approximately 450 FPS spread between these two rounds with equal bullet weights. This amount of velocity difference would make the drop more like 6-7 inches. Maybe the article had a misprint.
I always take what I read with a grain of salt, and at the end of the day comparison is pointless when it comes time to shoot an animal. I will get mine sighted in for mpbr, depending on what ammo works best. I expect I will be 2.75" high at 100, zero at 220 ish, and 7 or 8" low at 300, from what the ballistics tables I've looked at tell me.

And no, the Federal is not a .338 WM by any stretch, particularly recoil wise. But I expect it will still work. Relatively heavy quality bullet, moderate velocity, and still carrying 1800+ lbs energy at 300 should be good medicine.

I don't think it is the Be All End All cartridge by any means (my understanding is that would be the 6.5 Grendel), but I think it suits my needs and purposes handsomely and efficiently. If I ever feel under gunned, I can always dust off the .300 WM and shoot some 180s. But it's a heavy pig to haul around. I tend to compare it to the .30-06 more, with a little more energy, a little heavier bullet, bigger diameter, in a short action, with less recoil. That's what sold me on it. And, because I didn't have one .

Sorry if this is a derail....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 05-09-2022 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-09-2022, 05:51 PM

Quote:
I always take what I read with a grain of salt, and at the end of the day comparison is pointless when it comes time to shoot an animal. I will get mine sighted in for mpbr, depending on what ammo works best. I expect I will be 2.75" high at 100, zero at 220 ish, and 7 or 8" low at 300, from what the ballistics tables I've looked at tell me.

And no, the Federal is not a .338 WM by any stretch, particularly recoil wise. But I expect it will still work. Relatively heavy quality bullet, moderate velocity, and still carrying 1800+ lbs energy at 300 should be good medicine.

I don't think it is the Be All End All cartridge by any means (my understanding is that would be the 6.5 Grendel), but I think it suits my needs and purposes handsomely and efficiently. If I ever feel under gunned, I can always dust off the .300 WM and shoot some 180s. But it's a heavy pig to haul around. I tend to compare it to the .30-06 more, with a little more energy, a little heavier bullet, bigger diameter, in a short action, with less recoil. That's what sold me on it. And, because I didn't have one .

Sorry if this is a derail....
Yah start your own thread would ya! Stop mucking up mine
Old 05-09-2022, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Yah start your own thread would ya! Stop mucking up mine

Sorry bro....I thought the Grendel comment was worth it though.

Old 05-09-2022, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
Spomer is up at night.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-09-2022, 08:08 PM

I love beautiful well made classic rifles, have had many over the years. I rarely hunt with them, maybe on sunny days. Also appreciate light weight, stiff fiber stocks, stainless with a decent trigger.

In reality as long as it is a legal appropriate cartridge for the game I'm hunting, functions properly, goes bang and hits where its pointed I'd hunt with just about anything.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Sorry bro....I thought the Grendel comment was worth it though.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 05-09-2022, 10:29 PM

Seldom do I hunt with a rifle these days as my preference is archery but when I do my firearm choice is based off my style of hunting.

Up close, and during the rut for both elk and moose.
Either on slow moving creeks and rivers with grassy banks for moose, or deep valleys for elk.
Shots are typically less than 100 yards.
My go to is my Winchester Model 71 348 with a peep site.
I do not eat deer, so I do not hunt white tail or mule deer.
I have several Sako rifles in the 7mm, 300 RUM and 30:06 but much prefer the fit and feel of my old lever when in the field looking to fill the freezer. To me that makes the best for me rifle for the task at hand.
Old 05-09-2022, 11:57 PM

It should be a rifle that fits your body style and you’re very comfortable with. Also a rifle you shoot lots year round. Not just 10 times every fall. 5 shot group and a couple rounds at a deer and moose. Be comfortable in multiple positions that your hunting style may present.

I’m a big fan of a Remington 700 platform, I also use two 7600 pump actions, mostly for my big game hunting. I do need to shoot them more but my freezer always gets full every fall. With shooting some prs matches, I’ve come more fond of a bolt gun since the amount of rounds I shoot a year in all scenarios. I’m gonna start leaving the pumps at home unless I’m still hunting bush.
Old 05-11-2022, 02:02 PM

A Remington 7600 synthetic short barrel in 308 with a fixed 4x scope. Why? Likely because I grew up hunting with an 870 12ga. The gun comes up and points naturally for me. Handy in the bush I tend to hunt. It feels a ton lighter than my Vanguard. 308, more than enough punch for me for the critters I hunt. Synthetic because I won't worry about the beautiful wood like I do with my CZ.
Old 05-12-2022, 09:19 AM

My tastes have drastically changed over 20 years. Gone are the bone crushing magnums and long range $9/round cartridges. Dollars go into optics, not rifles.

Thick jungle bush elk (mostly Bow)
Browning BLR in 450 Marlin, open sights

My everything gun for the last 10yrs
Youth Savage axis 7-08. What a tack driver, super dependable and just the rifle to reach for as you are running out the door.
*Replaced in 2020 with a Weatherby 7-08. Another tack driver. Elk at 250, Prairie Goat at 375

Never leave my side, but collecting dust
300wm
300 weatherby
338wm
Old 05-13-2022, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allseasons View Post
My tastes have drastically changed over 20 years. Gone are the bone crushing magnums and long range $9/round cartridges. Dollars go into optics, not rifles.

Thick jungle bush elk (mostly Bow)
Browning BLR in 450 Marlin, open sights

My everything gun for the last 10yrs
Youth Savage axis 7-08. What a tack driver, super dependable and just the rifle to reach for as you are running out the door.
*Replaced in 2020 with a Weatherby 7-08. Another tack driver. Elk at 250, Prairie Goat at 375

Never leave my side, but collecting dust
300wm
300 weatherby
338wm
I think 7-08 is the right balance between energy and a lightweight rifle. I was doubtful until I came across a bull elk while holding the 7-08 instead of the 300wm I would normally bring, and it dropped it the bull on the spot.
Old 05-13-2022, 10:42 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by that dude View Post
I think 7-08 is the right balance between energy and a lightweight rifle. I was doubtful until I came across a bull elk while holding the 7-08 instead of the 300wm I would normally bring, and it dropped it the bull on the spot.

Yup, 140 partition makes big moose flop too out of the little 7-08!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-13-2022, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Yup, 140 partition makes big moose flop too out of the little 7-08!

Absolutely! I never felt under gunned with my 7mm08. And I'm sure I will feel less so with my .338 Federal. I finally got the Talley rings for it, got the scope mounted level and torqued, and then boresighted the other day. Took it to the indoor range as rifle range here is still closed. First bore sighted round at 25 was an X so I didn't touch the dials.

I have to go shoot a young Angus bull in the corral on Tuesday to put in the freezer, so it will be a good field test. As huntinstuff told me, it will shoot minute of angus easy!

Then I will take it out and get it dialed in for 100-300. I expect it will a very accurate set up. It weighed in at 7 lbs 11 oz scoped, with empty mag. A little more then I expected, but still plenty light.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220511_172542_01.jpg (33.7 KB, 65 views)

Old 05-13-2022, 07:52 PM

Comfortable offhand, sitting, kneeling, prone itc.
Feeds and extracts every time
Low maintenance trigger
Low minted scope
Holds zero like grim death
Aims where you print it
Cartridge matters little
Accuracy similar

-Billy Molls
Old 05-13-2022, 11:33 PM

I like one that goes bang when I need it to. Preferably on sale...
Old 05-14-2022, 09:39 PM

What makes a great hunting rifle??? A SUPPRESSOR!!
Old 05-14-2022, 09:56 PM

I only buy lucky rifles. Hard to tell when you first look at one if it will be a lucky gun but I must have an eye for them. A lucky rifle doesn’t guarantee I’ll see something worthy of pulling the trigger on each time I go out but if I put a little time in I’ll eventually find something and when I do squeeze that trigger they always seem to fall over. I’ve sold a couple lucky rifles to friends over the years but I must have used all the luck up because they didn’t always have the same results I had with them…
Old 05-16-2022, 12:00 PM

While I do prefer lighter guns, I don't want too light either. Got by with a 7-08 in a 700 BDL and a 338WM in a 700KS for a lot of years, both w/ MacMillan syn stock, one 22" and one 24". Most of the last 10 yrs has been a Kreighoff SxS in 30R Blaser., not too heavy and not too light Biggest issue now is I have too many choices sitting there. 30R will do anything I need done, so will the 7-08, proven that to myself many times over. I have a 7RM in a Merkel K1 and a 300H&H in an 1885Win as well, the 1885 got the nod last year. And then I still have a #1 in 7-08 and a Tikka T3x in 6.5cm. The K1 and the SxS are the nicest to carry & handle, followed by the #1. But, even though that 1885 is a bit too heavy, it swings nice, real nice, better than the #1. I never have to worry about feeding with the SxS and singleshots, can set OAL's pretty much wherever I want lengthwise, no mag length worries. The SxS is pretty much a 1 load, 1 bullet only gun for best performance, but other loads will maintain an easy minute of deer to 200, so, good enough.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:25 PM

Default What makes a great hunting rifle?

I’ve always been a 7mm rem Mag fan myself my go to was browning but I like to reload and play with my shots I recently got myself a 28 nosler which is a 7mm on steroids the parent case being a 300 ultra mag necked down to a .284 diameter and using a 162 grain bonded bullet and you don’t need the 26” barrel with this rifle 22” or 24” is plenty with same accuracy with a 26” with this calibre I’ll have to say that’s my do it all rifle for now on I do have a collection as I don’t sell my rifles my close second would be my 6.5 PRC

Last edited by Mike1027; 05-18-2022 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-27-2022, 04:40 PM

[QUOTE=cowmanbob;4518880]
Quote:
I've happily made do with Remington 700s for a while now (7mm08 , 7mm RM, .300 WM) but also had a 788 in .308 win, that's what I could afford and started with decades ago. Also had some Winchester 70s and a Ruger 77, CZ, Sako, Tikka. Tried a few.

This winter I had KS Arms build me my 'Dream' hunting rifle. Their 3 lug action, 60 degree bolt throw, a 22" fluted barrel #3 contour (stainless), Trigger Tech Primary set at 2.5 lbs, HS precision bottom metal and magazine, and all set in a Wildcat Composite stock. It is a short action, weighed in at 6 lbs 4 oz without scope. I'm finally going to get my rings this week, as the first set of Talley one piece rings got seized by CBSA, something about parts for a 'weapon'. Idiots.

But I digress.

It should finish around 7 lbs 6 oz, maybe an ounce more, with scope (a Zeiss Conquest V4, 4-16x44mm with firedot illuminated reticle).

As for the chambering, I went with a .338 Federal. I've had a hankering for this cartridge for a decade now, figured it was time. Short action, 180-210 gr bullets, the numbers would suggest a very capable 300 yards rifle which is as far as I have ever had to shoot. Out to 300, it betters a .30-06 for energy by a decent margin, and almost as much as a 7mm RM, shooting 200 gr bullets with a MV in the 2650 range. And, shooting 180s, it will drop a half inch less then a .30-06 shooting same weight, at 300 yards.

So how would the federal shoot the 180 grain bullet flatter than a 30,06 when the co efficient is less and about 100 FPS slower. Just asking, I’d hate to see you miss that elk.

Had a great afternoon out with TC and my younger brother dialing in TCs new pew.
Didnt take more than 3-4 rounds and we had it dialed right in at 100yds. Moved to the 300yd gong (8") and held 7" high and whack. We were working off only cobled together data for some of his rounds but we managed to smoke the 400yd (4") gong within 3-4 rounds then the 500yd steel (6") it took a bit of figuring and a few trial shots to get our dope at 4 and 500yds but thats becausecwe didnt have true bc value of the rounds and no internet connection to confirm...once we had it diaked though it was beating those gongs like a rented mule... great outing
His dope is pretty simple
+2.75" @100
-7" @300
11moa @400
15moa@500

For a hunting rig hitting within 4-6" @ 4and 500 is pretty awesome

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 05-27-2022 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-27-2022, 06:25 PM

It was an excellent time. We actually went through 57 rounds (letting barrel cool as needed) and i am absolutely tickled with how well that rifle shoots!

I settled on the 200 gr Trophy Bonded Tip as my hunting bullet, seemed like the best fit. Everything I shot grouped well though, all sub MOA (especially with a better shooter behind the trigger then I am).

But I was sure pleased to be hitting those gongs at 4 and 5 hundred.

Obsessed1 and his brother were so much help today, spotting and running ballistics table for me, had the chrono out. It just worked great.

I think he had a typo on the dope, it is actually 2 3/4" high at 100, zero at 220, and 7" low at 300 (which is probably as far as I will ever need to shoot).

And if something is farther, I know where to dial for 4 and 500.

Good day. And my shoulder isn't even too bad. I know my .300 WM would have had me tapping out after 20 from the bench (I have arthritis in my shoulders, part of the reason I was interested in the .338 Federal is it is a softie to shoot for a heavier bullet). It's just not a hard recoiling gun. Lots of credit to Wildcat Composites because their stock has a lot to do with it.

I also called Mike at KS to let him know that they knocked it out of the park with my build. They build a nice rifle.

A great day at the range. Thanks again Obsessed1!

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 05-27-2022 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-27-2022, 06:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1027 View Post
I’ve always been a 7mm rem Mag fan myself my go to was browning but I like to reload and play with my shots I recently got myself a 28 nosler which is a 7mm on steroids the parent case being a 300 ultra mag necked down to a .284 diameter and using a 162 grain bonded bullet and you don’t need the 26” barrel with this rifle 22” or 24” is plenty with same accuracy with a 26” with this calibre I’ll have to say that’s my do it all rifle for now on I do have a collection as I don’t sell my rifles my close second would be my 6.5 PRC

A 28 nosler is not the same case as a rum. Two totally different animals
Old 05-27-2022, 07:08 PM

Quote:
I settled on the 200 gr Trophy Bonded Tip as my hunting bullet, seemed like the best fit. Everything I shot grouped well though, all sub MOA (especially with a better shooter behind the trigger then I am)
Perfect, then you could sell me that 210 Partition factory ammo you’re hoarding….
Old 05-27-2022, 07:15 PM

Quote:
It was an excellent time. We actually went through 57 rounds (letting barrel cool as needed) and i am absolutely tickled with how well that rifle shoots!

I settled on the 200 gr Trophy Bonded Tip as my hunting bullet, seemed like the best fit. Everything I shot grouped well though, all sub MOA (especially with a better shooter behind the trigger then I am).

But I was sure pleased to be hitting those gongs at 4 and 5 hundred.

Obsessed1 and his brother were so much help today, spotting and running ballistics table for me, had the chrono out. It just worked great.

I think he had a typo on the dope, it is actually 2 3/4" high at 100, zero at 220, and 7" low at 300 (which is probably as far as I will ever need to shoot).

And if something is farther, I know where to dial for 4 and 500.

Good day. And my shoulder isn't even too bad. I know my .300 WM would have had me tapping out after 20 from the bench (I have arthritis in my shoulders, part of the reason I was interested in the .338 Federal is it is a softie to shoot for a heavier bullet). It's just not a hard recoiling gun. Lots of credit to Wildcat Composites because their stock has a lot to do with it.

I also called Mike at KS to let him know that they knocked it out of the park with my build. They build a nice rifle.

A great day at the range. Thanks again Obsessed1!
Yup my fat fingers typed it out wrong then i couldn't edit for some reason ....think ill complain to a mod.....
Old 05-27-2022, 07:25 PM

I will fix it. Why didn't I think of that....

Old 05-27-2022, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Perfect, then you could sell me that 210 Partition factory ammo you’re hoarding….
You know what? I would sell you 3 boxes now if you want? Then I will buy 3 more of the Trophy Bonded. I also have the Trophy Coppers if you want a couple of those....