Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-14-2022, 08:07 AM

Lots of bears out and about right now. I went for a drive up to the Fort Chip winter road staging area the other day and saw 7 in the 20km section of dirt road at the end of the paved section of hwy63 right in the middle of the day. If a guy spent any amount of time in that area it would be no problem coming out with a decent sized blacky. Lots of cut blocks and for the most part it’s sand around the area so it’s one of the few areas where a guy can get around in a truck. The area is pretty much void of ungulates so cleaning out a few bears wouldn’t hurt.
Old 05-16-2022, 06:41 AM
Banned

Went out last night for a Couple hours before the game. Hit the Hangingstone road south of town. Lots of Green but seen ZERO bears. Nice and Sunny out too.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:03 AM

Default Wildlife in the Fort McMurray Area - Predator hunting →

Regarding your second last inquiry on your thread, Like you I landed In McMurray as green as the grass as far as layout and stuff like that. Started walking power lines & cut lines for miles with an old 303 that had peep sights, and, could shoot around corners... lol. Hitting the mark had to be close. First thing I noticed is that compared to where imported
from, there was more wildlife than you could shake a stick at. A Hunters Paradise for Blacks & Wolves. Twice I Got completely terrified up
there. First day wolf hunting on year 8 or 9 in the blind, Imagine this if you so wich, It's the dead of winter... Wolf Howles a few yards away at the break of
day right behind the blind where I seeing is impossible. He let'er fly, I dropped my gun and started shaking as fast as you can blink an
eye. Ultimate terror ! Pierce right through YA !!! He's dead now Btw... Not that day but his number came up shortly after. Number six. I hung him from his neck to take a picture of him for terrorizing me like that. Patience is a virtue my fellow hunters. I have PTSD now...Hahahahaaaaa! Heck of a reaction for a seasoned hunter I must say. . FYI> We've all heard wolves howl from a mile away but let me just say when he's 2 yards away it'a different story. How he got to there without me hearing him on such a quiet morning I still can not figure it out. Also Never heard him leave. I wasn't worth much after that. Certainly not able to shoot cuz of the shakes. Sounded like he was the size of an elephant. No Joke. Loooonnnnggggg Beeellllloooowwwww! Deep. Very Deep !

Everybody all primed up now ?

Let's see if the boys here on AO can give a brother a hand like has been done to me several times on here. Hopefully you're not the kind that "shoots everything that moves". I"m gonna risk it. Gut feeling. Sounds Genuine. Great question btw DAKA>. I'm gonna lend you my 3rd best honey hole. No worries it's all good my friend. One day we will
meet no doubt. Possibly team up and lay out a few together eh! Bears or wolves whatever. Predation is predation... Right... There is a bear close to town that I underestimated and can't seem to forget about and I'd love to see that big boy drop like a ton of Bricks, He's still alive too. You'll need a quad, 200' of rope, a winch and a toboggan to pull him threw the swamp 100-125 yds. Can't get across the swamp unless it's froze up. Nasty extraction. He's very Lucky that bear I underestimated him. Careful
with that big boy too. He loves destroying Cams. Uses the solar power cords for dental floss. Cost me a fortune... JK. Love the Mac For Hunting And racking in the dough. No other place like it if your a grunt...

lol. Pm me for the exact coordinates to the platform. Custom trail leading
to it. In the winter time it's like Mars out there... Desolate, Dark And
F"n Cold.... Pardon my Tabarnac... lol. There's just you, a trapper out
there somewhere and last but not least our buddies the wolves. All
the best hope it helps. Everyone on this forum played a part with the
pony express. My deal went through Cat. Another pat on the back Cat, once again thank you. What a nice evening that was meeting him. If your reading this Cat here's a tip of the hat....
That flippen stink bait Gassed me hard. Buddy's still waking up in the
middle of the night laughing... lol Love this forum !... Pics are to
show some of the wildlife up here. I got so much of it it's crazy. This
post could go on forever. If you don't succeed and you
put your shoulder into it a little Ill hop you over to the 360☼ Lookout.
Theres pics in there. You'll know it when you see it. + It's in town so you don't have to risk your life
on the Hwy getting to your spot. Bears off that platform is Fall only.
Wolves off that platform are from Jan 3 ( 2nd is a relax day... lol ) into
March 14th. Timing. It's all it is if you're set up. Someone once said , if
you sit in one spot long enough a wolf is bound to walk by... In Fort
McMurray ? It can happen...Hahahahaaa! I've seen bears right down town. One
year the wardens had to call for back up from LaBich to bean bag, trap or
re-locacte. During the Richardson Fire I think. All the wildlife came south right into town. Was it ever wild. Geez! Some got put down. Shame really! I've seen some ear tags up close. No eating but... Nice Coates! Clean no rubs.

Pm me for the exact coordinates if you're interested, I can't shoot
them for you but would like to see you take that MONSTER BEAR in
that swamp. It's worth a shot cuz right now I can't use it and it's
really bugging me that I let him walk. ... like you can't imagine. ! I'm just lending you the platform right... right... lol. Saved yourself about 4 years of scouting. ish... Good luck man if you do
decide to go. That 360 lookout is a Million dollar spot but the one
with the platform is definitely on it's heels. All the same wolves but
completely different vantage point. AMAZING !

Love to help in anyway I can if it's up my alley....

Here's a Picture of the Platform...

Cheers Fellas,

Bye For Now
Old 05-25-2022, 10:07 AM

Great pics as usual, Popcan. Hope the guy takes you up on your offer.
Old 05-25-2022, 10:13 AM
Banned

Awfully nice offer and Photos
Old 05-25-2022, 10:22 AM

Ive been up here for 15 year’s, there is decent hunting for deer, good for predators,
Deer are pocketed, better south than north, but quite a few close to town, my thoughts, are better deer hunting, on dryier ground, the high ground is stony mountain and south, no were near as many moose as year’s gone by, but used to be 25000 people here, now 100000, so much more pressure.
Good grouse hunting if its a dry year, sharptail, spruce and ruffles.
Ducks are ok, but better south on the first of the cropping ground.
Access is the biggest problem, its tough country to travel, due to its swampy ground, and gumbo mud when wet.
Like most place put in the effort, and you will find little spots, with chance of success.
A canoe, boat or quad open up a lot more country, but shanks pony,( walking) is good enough for me, most wont get off the quad,
Drop a PM, once moved up, i will help out if i can,
Old 05-27-2022, 10:44 PM
Banned

Heading out tomorrow for 1 last trip before I have to leave for 2 weeks for work. Hope the overcast conditions have the boys moving around in the afternoon. Will be heading south of town
Old 05-27-2022, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortMac View Post
Heading out tomorrow for 1 last trip before I have to leave for 2 weeks for work. Hope the overcast conditions have the boys moving around in the afternoon. Will be heading south of town
I’m telling you, no shortage of bears at the north end of 63.

Good luck with your hunt.
Old 05-27-2022, 11:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
I’m telling you, no shortage of bears at the north end of 63.

Good luck with your hunt.
Are you talking near the staging area for 6 lakes? Are you just walking those Sandy trails or driving around?
Old 05-28-2022, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortMac View Post
Are you talking near the staging area for 6 lakes? Are you just walking those Sandy trails or driving around?
I haven’t spent any time this year driving around the cutblocks at the north end of 63 but I have driven straight up to the staging area twice now this spring. Both times we’ve seen bears right on the dirt portion of 63 after the last mine activity. There are a ton of bears in the area to the point where you would have to spend a lot of time up there to just see a deer track in the sand. If a guy spent some time up that way seeing some bruins shouldn’t be an issue. Finding a good boar may be another thing all together but you need to spend some time to get a good one anywhere.

The bears I’ve been seeing have started to show some signs of rubbing so if you’re after a good rug it may be a bit late.
Old 10-18-2022, 11:10 PM

Hey guys thanks a bunch for all the info and I really appreciate it.
Hopefully I will have a chance to buy some of you a beer once I get up there. My move up there prolonged unexpectedly but still I am moving to the town. What is out there in December to hunt as it looks like I wont be able to use November season there.
Thanks again y'all...
Wish you great moose and deer season up there.
Old 10-19-2022, 08:22 AM

pretty much limited to rabbit snaring/hunting and grouse hunting in December.
Old 10-19-2022, 11:10 AM

Rabbit and grouse hunting are also nice ways to spend a day outdoors.