Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 05-18-2022, 09:23 AM

Default Electric chain saw opinions

I am tempted to try a electric chain saw to carry in the winter for clearing a little trail an replacing the gas saw. It would eliminate the gas smell an no need to start the saw in 20 below for a two min job. I do the main maintenance with a big saw usually before the season starts. Anyone have any experience with using one in the cold?
Old 05-18-2022, 03:39 PM

My guy with the line beside mine bought the dewalt saw a few years ago and thats all be uses now except to buck his fire wood.He loves it and uses it in 40 below with no problems.I think it would be fine for trail work or the odd tree but i already have to many saws.
Old 05-18-2022, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter89 View Post
i already have to many saws.
That's a thing?
Old 05-18-2022, 08:11 PM

I have the CT special Yardworks 16" 48 V and its the saw I pack for trail clearing and setting up trail cams and shooting lanes. Was not sure if this saw was for me after running Husky's most of my life, but no complaints yet. Haven't timed how long the battery lasts, but have been brushing and trimming for an hour and still two bars.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/y...0366p.html#plp

Cheers

SS
Old 05-18-2022, 08:21 PM

I run a pro-grade husky electric tophandle at work sometimes. Equal power to the similarly sized 33cc Stihl 201T, similar weight, much quieter. Haven't had any issues to speak of in all kinds of weather. Battery life is something in the way of 3-4 hours of cutting on a charge. I was skeptical and pleasantly surprised overall.
Old 05-19-2022, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
That's a thing?
The wife says it's a thing!I'am like 8 is not really that many ?Some are big some are small and everything in the middle.
Old 05-19-2022, 01:36 AM

The other thing is the cost of replacing the battery's??They will not last the life of the saw and at 200 a piece that adds up.Like almost buying a new stihl 170 on sale a year??
Old 05-19-2022, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter89 View Post
The wife says it's a thing!I'am like 8 is not really that many ?Some are big some are small and everything in the middle.
Yes, but now you have to convince her that you really NEED a battery-powered one...

I'm on the Stihl site now, and I could really see myself making use of one of those little saws... When doing trail clearing etc. I often hesitate to whip out the power saw just because I want it to cool down a bit before throwing it back in the truck with the other stuff, and that takes time... So I find myself using a hand saw for a lot of the quick and dirty work.
Old 05-19-2022, 10:05 AM

Mentioned it before, my trapping/hunting partner went through 3 electric chain saws building a cabin. Took them back each time and they were replaced as only 2-3 weeks old.
Old 05-19-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Mentioned it before, my trapping/hunting partner went through 3 electric chain saws building a cabin. Took them back each time and they were replaced as only 2-3 weeks old.
What brand of saw?
Old 05-19-2022, 11:00 AM

They are great if you use them for the intended purpose. Occasional tree felling & bucking, trimming, trail clearing, etc.. I had a Stihl 261, sold it and bought a Ryobi 40v pro and have never looked back. For 90% of users the battery saws are the way to go

Building a cabin is WAY out of the inteneded purpose for a battery saw.
Old 05-19-2022, 09:00 PM

I know several people that have battery saws.

One neighbor has a Makita 18vX2 (two batteries) they use it for fencing and cleaning up around the ranch, they really like it.

Another neighbor has a a Stihl battery saw. It’s great for jobs around the farm also. I’ve run it a bit, it’s better than the entry dewalt 20v.

A buddy has a Milwaukee fuel 18V, same uses around the farm and light firewood duty, he hasn’t used his Husky gas saw since buying the Milwaukee.

I bought my wife a Dewalt 20v for Christmas a few years ago. She really likes it for cleaning up carigana and other small stuff around the yard. I use it all the time for rough cutting lumber, fencing, and very light firewood duty. The Dewalt was purchased because she wanted smaller and lighter than the Milwaukee offering, I’d of bought the Milwaukee if it was for me.

For trapline duty I’d go higher end than the 20v Dewalt (Dewalt makes a 60v too). None of the people mentioned above regret the purchase, they all speak highly of their saws, and have owned them for a year or more.

If you already have a branded battery system have a look at that particular manufacturers saws, multiple battery systems in the same shop drive me nuts.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 05-19-2022, 09:20 PM

I bought a battery Still hand held chain saw $199.99

Extra battery may help

give it a try
Old 05-19-2022, 10:16 PM

Bought this one in January so far I like it. The batteries alone are around $179.00 each, used it yesterday first time I was pretty impressed with it.

https://www.busybeetools.com/product...it-makita.html
Old 05-20-2022, 10:03 AM

Just my thoughts , the electrics are probably good for "Lite Duty" work around yard. I also like them when building log spindle railing, as always picking up saw every few minutes. However when I am bucking up 20 inch birch tree then big gas Husky only way to go as even they get real hot in summer.
Electric is equivalent to gas job truck, and Husky (gas) is Turbo diesel.
Old 05-31-2022, 07:05 PM

Default Look in the buy and sell

I just posted one for sale in the misc buy and sell
WDF
Old 05-31-2022, 09:00 PM

Have a couple, a ryobi and a stihl. Honestly not too impressed. They are ok for trimming softwoods but anything thicker than 3 in diameter or hardwoods and they’re pretty slow. Might work for you, but it won’t take much to wish you had something bigger

Worked fine in the winter but I only used them for a few minutes each and they had been stored inside and fully charged.
Old 06-06-2022, 05:27 PM

Love my ego, rarely use my echo timberwolf. Yes battery is a cost, so is grief of starting a 2 stroke twice a year.
Old 06-06-2022, 09:10 PM

https://www.popularmechanics.com/hom...red-chainsaws/
Old 06-07-2022, 02:46 PM

I think they may be a great fit - particularly on a trap line where the smells of gas/oil may be a factor. Also, on a trapline (or a residential home) the reality is, you are doing maintenance and don't need a workhorse necessarily for 90% of what you do.

Since I got mine for fathers day a few years ago (to add to my other Ryobi 40v battery products) I haven't even fired up the gas saws once.

Maybe, the gas comes out once a year for most guys, but to be able to just grab and go with an electric is sure real convenient and nice. I see no performance difference between and electric and my high end Husky for 90% of the stuff I need to do around the house or at camp.
Old 06-08-2022, 10:00 AM

On my trapline the electric job would be a dead battery after the 4th tree, after that with no 120v plug for 40 miles the hand Swede saw would need to come out. A 12-16 inch bar does not work well on a 2 foot diameter tree.