Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-31-2021, 05:14 PM

Default Buying and Selling Flies

If you're looking to buy or sell flies there's a new Alberta site - Troutfodder.com - built on an interesting new concept. It not only offers the opportunity to buy or sell top-quality flies tied by experienced anglers who actually use them, but it's also an attempt to build a fly-tying community that shares its knowledge and experience. Prices look to be no more than you'd pay at the local store. It's a work in progress I think, but worth checking out and maybe getting involved in.
Old 10-31-2021, 07:48 PM

Interesting concept.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-01-2021, 07:36 PM

Interesting yes, but based on my involvement with fly swaps over the past few occasions will probably not fly (pun intended).
Old 11-01-2021, 08:41 PM

thanks for sharing, worth checking, i like the idea
Old 11-02-2021, 09:46 AM

Interesting concept .......I like it
Old 11-02-2021, 05:35 PM

I think it’s a very interesting idea that Troutfodder is promoting. The only thing I feel holds people back is providing the shipping. A lot of people don’t have the time or simply don’t want to be bothered with problems that could incur with shipping. eg: lost parcels, late deliveries due to mail etc. If a company took care of the shipping, ordering and payment process and simply cut a cheque, more people might be more inclined to try this. I always thought it would be great to have a shop that took in flies from local tiers on consignment and sold them for you. You definitely wouldn’t be paying the one dollar flies which are currently offered from some of the websites but you’d be supporting local tiers which would be awesome. There are a lot of really really good Alberta tiers out there, I don’t think it would be hard to fill up a shop with Alberta born flies. Could a person make a go out of doing something like this? I have absolutely no idea, but it would sure be cool to go into a fly shop and know I’m supporting local tiers. Maybe If an AO member hits the lottery and needs a retirement project they could try this out for a year, lol. I’d definitely buy the Alberts tied flies.
Old 11-03-2021, 05:33 AM

This is not a new concept it has/is being done with both lures and flies

I have tied flies for shops, guides and other sales in the past it’s a pain in the A

The profit margins are poor and there is too many guys who try to get into selling flies without factoring time/expenses. They surface for a short time screw up the market and fade out once they realize they are not making $

I only tie flies for personal use now but still sell lures and there is plenty of lure styles I won’t sell now too
Old 11-03-2021, 07:39 PM

The margins on TroutFodder will be higher than selling to the fly shops - sellers set their own (reasonable) pricing and the commission on each sale is less than the mark-up a fly shop would charge.

But, you are correct in that it can be a lot of work. The site is less about doing it to as a "job" and more about just tying a few extra flies on the side to make a little extra money to support your passion for fly tying or buy that new fly rod you have been eye-balling. More like a hobby business - with no pressure, you can commit as little or as much time to it as you like. Fly posts can be temporarily suspended and re-opened by the seller any time they want.

Shipping is not as difficult as most people think. Products are sent through the mail all the time and lost packages are rare. Many flies (e.g. streamers and nymphs) can be sent in a protective sleeve in a small bubble envelope within Canada for a couple of bucks. Flies requiring more protection will need a small box and will cost 2-3 times that.
Old 12-20-2021, 12:51 AM
Banned

Unique concept.
Old 01-19-2022, 02:03 PM

Thx I'll take a look!
Old 03-14-2022, 07:07 AM
Banned

This concept isn't a bad idea