Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-06-2020, 08:29 AM
AO Sponsor

Sure hope so. I hope FHA scores BIG in the fall or whenever their next physical auction occurs.

Don't be too hard on Davey... I met him in Barrhead and he's actually a wonderful human being!!!
Old 04-06-2020, 11:09 AM

Default FHA auction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog View Post
All I know is I’m damn glad I don’t have to worry about whatever the number is. All put up fur is sold. Money is in the bank. Time value of money isn’t eating away the value of my goods. I beat the inevitable drop of this glorious coyote market we had a good run with. And I got my highest average of my career over all. Just hoping coyotes have any value next fall.
Same as for me Reddog. I’m glad all my fur is sold as well.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Same as for me Reddog. I’m glad all my fur is sold as well.
Sold fur is the best fur!!
Old 04-06-2020, 01:03 PM

Marty, know Dave well would not go so far as to say "he is a wonderful person" more like he meets minimun standard for Alberta Trapper!
Old 04-06-2020, 01:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Marty, know Dave well would not go so far as to say "he is a wonderful person" more like he meets minimun standard for Alberta Trapper!
I'm a lot of things to different people.

How people perceive me is directly related to the minimum moral standards that I expect of them.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I'm a lot of things to different people.

How people perceive me is directly related to the minimum moral standards that I expect of them.
Dave you’ve always been special to me and I enjoy reading your posts on your forum.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:12 PM
AO Sponsor

Did I just score some Davey points?
Old 04-06-2020, 02:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post
Marty arguing with Dave is fun I have done it but he is always right always ! An will have the last post on a thread. I hope everything sells at the auction I hate having left over fur. I am glad all the left over stuff for the second sale I was going to send in GFW took it off my hands.
So, you're implying that I'm wrong? It really does cost 18% in fees when you send fur to FHA and not the 11% that I took the time to explain in detail for everyone?

Rod, you've always been okay with watching Alberta Trappers get bent over a barrel and saying nothing so I'm not surprised that you'd be somehow offended by me informing them of the true auction fees....... and I have no problem whatsoever with doing that.

I'm glad that you found someone to take your fur "off your hands". I've never held fur over for future auctions but I've heard that many do.

I sold all my best coyotes for the second auction to a buyer as well. Fifty pelts for a I-II average and 7 coyotes for a $5 less average. We are very fortunate up this way to have a couple of buyers willing to pay reasonable prices. They made money, I made money and everyone walked away happy. My lower grading stuff is in for shipping to FHA.

Had either one of them downgraded my fur and tried to convince me that I'd pay 18% in auction fees, I would have packed up my fur and sent them all to auction. Given the current circumstances I'm glad that I didn't have to do that.

I have the luxury of being able to wait to get full value as I only need my trapping money to keep me in beer, bullets and band-aids. I realize that there are many Trappers that need that money just to survive, particularly now, so selling their fur for less to get an immediate payment is the best solution for them. Kinda like selling to a pawn shop, you won't get full value but you'll get the cash that you need right away.

To each their own, there's no wrong way. It's best to know how the game is played going into it is all.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcrazy View Post
Dave you’ve always been special to me and I enjoy reading your posts on your forum.
How about the time that I revealed that the ATA went behind Trapper's backs and requested a mandatory snaring course for all Trappers in Alberta without their knowledge of it......did you like that thread?

You remember, that thread, right? You said that it wasn't true and you called me a liar on it. How'd you make out with that?

Yeah, you're real special to me too.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:37 PM
AO Sponsor

Uh oh...

Davey on a rampage...

Davey going crazy...

Needs to change forum handle from Hunter Dave to Crazyyyy Daveyyy!!!
Old 04-06-2020, 02:38 PM
AO Sponsor

Oh when will this isolation ever end???

I just cant take it anymore!!!
Old 04-06-2020, 02:40 PM
AO Sponsor

Dang... the caps lock function has been disabled...
Old 04-06-2020, 02:47 PM
Banned

So Marty, how much in total are the FHA auction fees, currency conversion included, that Alberta Trappers should expect to pay anyway?

Asking for a friend.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:16 PM
AO Sponsor

You lost me, could you please be more specific?
Old 04-06-2020, 03:56 PM

Keep it up boys just making some popcorn. Best thing on the internet, till the FHA prices get posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskfly16 View Post
Keep it up boys just making some popcorn. Best thing on the internet, till the FHA prices get posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
haha
Old 04-06-2020, 05:59 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskfly16 View Post
Naa... the numbers suck. This is gonna be waaaay better!

Mind you they are busy trying to sell goods PT right now. But we suddenly find ourselves in a relatively bad market landscape. So lets go back to popcorn!!!

One of the very best things you can fo with popcorn:

- butter it up sufficiently/excessively
- salt it up sufficiently
-pour sugar all over it
-mix all ingredients

Serves 1
Old 04-06-2020, 06:01 PM
AO Sponsor

Im makin me some popcorn tonite!!!
Old 04-06-2020, 07:09 PM

Someone has been day drinking again the show will get real good latter tonight. To bad I will be in bed an have to wait for the morning to read the rants. Mabe I will make some popcorn an stay up for this one. How do I like Trappers to get screwed Dave? I donate time an money for the Trappers in Alberta all the time.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:10 PM

Take it easy with the popcorn dressing as those skins were easier to deal with than dragging the real thing back to the truck as in years past.Those milestone birthdays also cause us to pack extra luggage.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:52 PM

Getting low
Old 04-06-2020, 08:20 PM

Ok children starting to get stupid. Let's grow up.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:34 PM
Banned

So I’m a drunk now? I must have a very strong constitution to be able to do all that fancy assed ciphering in order to disprove the fake 18% auction fee news AND provide what the actual auction fees are.......18% vs 11%.

Where does the other 7% come from.......out of a colourful, flying unicorn’s arse.

But seriously, I REALLY want to know.

For the record, I don’t know the clowns calling me a drunk, nor do they know me. Even if I did and I was a drunk, I wouldn’t care what a couple of ATA skillet tossers thought.

Now I’m thirsty......I think that i’ll Have a beer. Cheers.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:50 PM

Quote:
So I’m a drunk now? I must have a very strong constitution to be able to do all that fancy assed ciphering in order to disprove the fake 18% auction fee news AND provide what the actual auction fees are.......18% vs 11%.

Where does the other 7% come from.......out of a colourful, flying unicorn’s arse.

But seriously, I REALLY want to know.

For the record, I don’t know the clowns calling me a drunk, nor do they know me. Even if I did and I was a drunk, I wouldn’t care what a couple of ATA skillet tossers thought.

Now I’m thirsty......I think that i’ll Have a beer. Cheers.
Careful Dave you might self explode again and give yourself a forum time out. I don’t really care if you think you’re a super sleuth and think there is/was a big conspiracy at the ATA.

To me the fact is they have vision and looking at the big picture.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcrazy View Post
Careful Dave you might self explode again and give yourself a forum time out. I don’t really care if you think you’re a super sleuth and think there is/was a big conspiracy at the ATA.

To me the fact is they have vision and looking at the big picture.
It doesn’t surprise me in the least that someone like you doesn’t care that a fur buyer is telling Alberta Trappers that the auction fees are 18% when they are actually 11%. To me it matters. That’s the difference between acting in your own best interests and looking out for other Trappers I guess.

Last edited by threeforthree; 04-07-2020 at 12:54 AM.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:51 AM

Quote:
It doesn’t surprise me in the least that someone like you doesn’t care that a fur buyer is telling Alberta Trappers that the auction fees are 18% when they are actually 11%. To me it matters. That’s the difference between acting in your own best interests and looking out for other Trappers I guess.
At the end of the day Dave it doesn’t matter if is 16%, 17.5% or 32%. It all boils down to the choice the seller has to make when the price is offered at the time. The seller can counter offer, they can sell or decide not to sell. The seller might or might not know the market but they will know if they would be happy with the price offered. I sent fur to the auction and I sold some to a buyer. I know what I got when I sold to the buyer and I don’t know what I’m getting from the auction yet.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:25 AM

Hopefully I got this straight. Dave you said in a previous post this is how the fha prices to the puzzle are broken down
“ FHA auction fees = 11%
Drumming = $1 per coyote pelt
Shipping = $12, and
Currency exchange = 1% (Which doesn't actually cost you anything, you buy CD$ with US$ at the posted rate)”

To my thinking it’s actually closer to 12.5% then
11% fees
1$/pelt for drumming which on 200$ coyote is .5%
And the currency exchange 1%
=12.5% with that figuring.

I do know that whatever the current exchange rate was is what we got at nafa, not what it would cost you to go buy Canadian with US at the bank.

If market said 1.32 or 1.31 or 1.34 that’s what showed up and we got paid for at nafa. Fha has always been different in that way. If exchange is 1.31 you get 1.29 or so, unless that has changed now but to my sources it hasn’t.

I also know my furs at auction Havnt sold and my ones I took to a buyer are sold and paid well for.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:29 AM

Yes that's how the exchange works, nafa was slightly better because they were dealing in multi millions and the bank gave them a better deal than what fha gets or got. So it's not a matter of fha being greedy or anything just how finance and banks work.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204ruger View Post
Hopefully I got this straight. Dave you said in a previous post this is how the fha prices to the puzzle are broken down
“ FHA auction fees = 11%
Drumming = $1 per coyote pelt
Shipping = $12, and
Currency exchange = 1% (Which doesn't actually cost you anything, you buy CD$ with US$ at the posted rate)”

To my thinking it’s actually closer to 12.5% then
11% fees
1$/pelt for drumming which on 200$ coyote is .5%
And the currency exchange 1%
=12.5% with that figuring.

I do know that whatever the current exchange rate was is what we got at nafa, not what it would cost you to go buy Canadian with US at the bank.

If market said 1.32 or 1.31 or 1.34 that’s what showed up and we got paid for at nafa. Fha has always been different in that way. If exchange is 1.31 you get 1.29 or so, unless that has changed now but to my sources it hasn’t.

I also know my furs at auction Havnt sold and my ones I took to a buyer are sold and paid well for.
^^^This is exactly correct... no need to read any of the ****ing back and forth previous to this. This is the facts.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:31 AM
AO Sponsor

Nowhere on this thread did I state 18%, and Dave knows it. An earlier thread months ago, yes and I corrected and stated that was a mistake.

On this thread I claimed a 16% fees value. Still believe that. My understanding of these values:
- 11% commission
- $1 drumming = 1% +/-
= 12% if we can follow that much
+ Exchange Rate Loss

Then on exchange rate, my understanding is that FHA is/was 2% higher than the NAFA exchange. NAFA exchanged was slightly over a 2% loss. If you shipped at NAFA and weren’t a WFSC member, you also were at 11% commission + $1 drumming + 2% exchange rate loss = 14% Fees/Loss for non WFSC NAFA shippers

Davey emailed the company and asked and got and posted what I understood to be a very vague answer but was all he needed to hear.

I suspect that if FHA was at a 4% exchange rate, they might not be doing that any longer due to threads like this one. My information came from a thread on the Canadian Trapper Forum from a retired prestigious FHA employee.

If this was so, then this would have been done as a choice not as a poor child victim of the bank. When I go to the bank the bank dings me just over 2% to exchange funds, CDN to USD and USD to CDN, just like any other business in the country.

However smart businesses often don’t use banks to exchange, but rather Currency Exchange Service businesses, where you can exchange money at a much better rate than what the bank will give for a very small fee. It is my understanding that NAFA was big enough that they could negotiate their own exchange rate with the bank for a fair rate that they didn’t have to take that end of their business elsewhere.

So when you sold at NAFA, you also lost 2% on the exchange rate unless you took your cheque in USD. (Of which you can do the same at FHA)

12% + 2% = 14% at NAFA for non WFSC shippers... correct? Is it just Dave who doesn’t understand this type math?

Kingrat has now pointed out that FHA exchange is higher than NAFA’s. Thank you Kingrat. (And like who on earth are you? Like what is your name? Never figured that one out)

So now the question remains, how much higher is FHAs exchange rate than NAFA’s?

If it is 1% higher that would put FHA fees at 15%.

If it is 2% higher, that would put FHA fees at 16%

It is my belief that up to this point in time, they are exchanging UDS for you at a level that is 2% higher than NAFA, thus rendering fee totals to 16% including commission, exchange $$$ loss, and drumming.

Dear Mark Taylor,

As we all know that you follow these threads very closely as evidenced earlier in the trapping season, when your bosses were off in China and you started posting on this wonderful Alberta trapping forum, but have since that time largely refrained, could you please settle this discussion for us by answering accurately, precisely and without evasion, these pointed questions...

How much higher of an exchange rate has FHA exchanged USD to CDN dollars from auction proceeds after each 2019 sale than what NAFA was exchanging USD to CDN dollars for trappers/shippers selling goods in the various FHA sales? Was FHA exchanging funds at the same level as NAFA or 1% higher or 2% higher?

Could you please answer these questions for us fine folks here on the AO forum?

Thank you,
Marty